Blog System "Technical Difficulty" - X10Hosting Admins' Help Needed, Please?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcmmsagh

Reaction score
I'm currently running into some technical difficulties on my end regarding update certain parts of my site via the blog system backend. Here's what's been going on as per the attached image with this post/support ticket.

On the blog system that I'm using for my site, I was attempting to update certain content/links from the "Add/Manage Blocks" blocks section (file name "add_block.php); specifically the content under the "Follow Us!" block. Here's the problem: if I update all the other blocks, I'm okay. However, when I attempt to hit the "Edit Block" button to update the "Follow Us!" block itself, I'm hit with a 403 Forbidden: You don't have permission to access addblock.php on this server. It's really baffling to me; can someone help me out on this case and at least let me know what my possible options are at this point to try and get this said part of the case resolved. I never ran into this kind of scenario until now.

Any help would be appreciated on this so I can proceed to try and resolve this matter. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• mcmmghb_site_td_2132016.png
    mcmmghb_site_td_2132016.png
    445.7 KB · Views: 7

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
You are attempting to make a POST request that contains more than four links; by default, that's caught as a "spammy" action by the settings in mod_security. (Trust me, if you didn't have this going by default in an unmoderated blog comments form or on a forum, you'd be overrun with spam faster than you could delete it.) An admin with sufficient access will need to create an exception to the security rules for you on that page.

mcmmsagh

Reaction score
Okay, that's insane; my main intention was to just modify two of those links in that said block. And speaking of which, is this also the same kind of request that had me result in posting this announcement on my site's forums a half a year ago? Only that if I get confirmation of this, I'd actually have to change this to "no more than four links in a single post".

Thanks again in advance for helping me get to the bottom of this.

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Note that you can make the desired changes through the back end (either saving a file directly to your account or modifying the database directly, depending on how the information is stored), since these are both actions that are inaccessible to anyone but the account holder. In most cases, the actions through your site's front end are undifferentiated as to the user as far as the server is concerned (although your own code may, and probably does, manage its own permissions). So it's not "insane", it's sanitary - the majority of the users here wouldn't have a clue as to where to start looking for information about how to protect themselves, and keeping the Free Hosting servers off of blocklists is a very high priority concern.

mcmmsagh

Reaction score
All right; I'll investigate accordingly regarding the "backend" part of the case - I believe I know where the culprit lies in terms of my trying to modify the links in question.

I still didn't get an answer in terms of the "forum announcement" I posted almost a year ago (linked to earlier); am I to assume it's targeting URL links in general, or just URL links that are considered "external" from my site?

Dead-i

x10Hosting Support Ninja
Community Support
Reaction score
Hi,

I can disable the URL limit for your account if needed. Would you be happy with me doing this?

Thank you,

mcmmsagh

Reaction score
Hi there, Dead-i; that would be much appreciated for me and my site itself. Thanks so much in advance.

Dead-i

x10Hosting Support Ninja
Community Support
Reaction score
Hi,

Sorry I missed this; I have now disabled this Mod Security rule for your account. ;)

Thank you,

mcmmsagh

Reaction score
Thanks, Dead-i; I greatly appreciate it (as well as my site itself). This helps a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.