Activating SSL on free account?

Status
Not open for further replies.

evox10m2

Reaction score
I plan on buying premium hosting but before I do I want everything set up, including SSL.

I already purchased a domain from namecheap and have it pointed to the server, but my next step is HTTPS/SSL, of course. If I purchase an SSL certificate, do I have to manually activate it then? Or does the host do this? Or is this not an option for free accounts for some reason?

ajstetson17

Reaction score
SSL is not currently supported on free hosting. You will have to upgrade to premium hosting in order to use your SSL certificate.

evox10m2

Reaction score
Oh okay. Thanks.

But, does the host then activate the SSL certificate if I purchase one? Or will I have to do that step manually?

Anna

I am just me
Staff member
Reaction score
SSL requires dedicated IP, which is not something available for free hosting. It is currently not technically possible to have a proper ssl on our free hosting.

evox10m2

Reaction score
Oh, sorry. I meant to say if I had already bought premium hosting (which I plan to do), what do I have to do in order to activate the SSL certificate? Or is this an automated process on x10 premium?

Sorry for poor wording, and thanks for responses so far.

pf4public45

Reaction score
your link is to/about [ Server Name Indication (SNI) ] - which is NOT the same as [ Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) ]
Sorry for being not clear enough. To make my statement clear, let me quote the page mentioned:
This allows a server to present multiple certificates on the same IP address and TCP port number and hence allows multiple secure (HTTPS) websites (or any other Service over TLS) to be served off the same IP address without requiring all those sites to use the same certificate.

bdistler

Prime Account
Reaction score
it is a moot point - the current setup for x10hosting's free-hosting virtual servers will not allow SSL or SNI

you can use CloudFlare as a work-around - for now

pf4public45

Reaction score
it is a moot point - the current setup for x10hosting's free-hosting virtual servers will not allow SSL or SNI
Indeed it is! Basically that was just a quick side-note not directly related to the question originally asked. I'm sorry for triggering this conversation.

you can use CloudFlare as a work-around - for now
Sure thing, but they are also not perfect. They impose enormous filtering for instance.

NYNEX Detox

Reaction score
how to configure cloudflare on free hosting?

I've jumped through so many hoops it's ridiculous. I don't need a full blown site for a public information project (see what happened in Flint, MI). I just need a repository of images and documents that can feed into a wordpress.com blog. They're really picky about anything that's linked but not through SSL. And I am too.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.