Can I change the domain for my main site?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sitete19

Reaction score
My main site when I signed up for the free hosting was sitetest.x10host.com. I used the website builder in the c-panel to create a website and published it. I really like the website and would like to have a custom domain for it such as, www.mywebsite.com, instead of sitetest.x10host.com. Is there any way for me to do this?

ajstetson17

Reaction score
In order to use a custom domain, you will have to buy one from a domain registrar (namesilo, namecheap, etc.), point the name servers at x10hosting, and use the domain as either a parked or addon domain.

sperko

Reaction score
I think what you're looking for is a parked domain, which will point to your existing website: sitetest.x10host.com

Once you buy this domain and set it up on your account you will be able to access your website both through sitetest.x10host.com and www.mywebsite.com

sitete19

Reaction score
I went ahead and purchased a domain name and set it up as a parked domain that successfully redirects to sitetest.x10host.com. Yay! So happy about that! But now there is a problem I can't figure out. When I first signed up I moved my existing website that I had with another hosting provider over to x10's free hosting. I uploaded all my website files and database, but I'm still not able to access my website because for some reason it's going over the 512mb limit. My problem is that now when I visit the website it redirects to sitetest.x10host.com and I have no idea why. The only parked domain on my account is the new domain I just purchased today. Why is my existing website that is not parked also re-directing to sitetest.x10host.com? I am so confused. How can I fix this?

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
If you're using WordPress (or software with a similar configuration system), you'd need to set the "Site URL" value on the configuration panel to your new domain. Unfortunately, WP only allows you to set a single domain, so anyone visiting with the old URL will be redirected to your new domain. (Maybe that's not much of a loss with an x10Hosting-provided subdomain, but if you ever plan to use more than one custom domain, you need to install WP as a multi-site.)

As for the cPanel access, you're best off starting a new thread requesting unmetered space, since it's very unlikely that the people who can do anything about it will notice you've mentioned a space problem in this thread.

sitete19

Reaction score
Yes, I use wordpress, but not on the subdomain nor on the parked domain. I purchased a domain yesterday for the sole purpose of having it as a parked domain that would point to my x10hosting provided subdomain. That didn't happen though. What actually happened was that instead of my parked domain pointing to my subdomain, it goes to a page that says "404 not found", and now my other website which was an add-on domain is now pointing to my subdomain. I have no idea why. My add-on domain is it's own website with it's own content that I have had published on the internet months before I moved it to the free x10hosting. Why in the world is it pointing to my x10 subdomain? How can I fix this?

Status
Not open for further replies.