Email problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Victor Delta

Reaction score
I've had an x10 account for years and generally never had many problems. My website has a contact form which generates an email to my Gmail address and I recently found that although the form appeared to be working (it gives the 'form sent successfully' message when you press the send button) I was not receiving any emails from it.

I followed this up and found that if I sent an email to myself from my x10 email account, although it would be shown in the sent mail folder, it would never arrive in my Gmail account. Since then I've tried a variety of email accounts and the x10 emails are not received by any of them. Further checks:

1. My x10 account has not been suspended so that's ok.

2. I've checked all the spam filters etc I can think of and the emails aren't there.

3. I wondered if x10 is blacklisted from sending emails but one of the blacklist checking websites suggests it is not.

Is anyone else having the same problem please and does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can fix the problem. It's driving me crazy!

Thanks.

Skizzerz

Contributors
Staff member
Contributors
Reaction score
What email address are you attempting to send from? You can reply in PM if you would like.

EDIT: I was able to find your address in our system (it's a bit flakey sometimes), and it looks like all of your emails were sent successfully. We filter all outgoing email for spam, but none of your emails were blocked. As a result, if you are not receiving them, it is gmail blocking them, not us, and you will need to take it up with them. Chances are they're sending some sort of bounce message with additional information, so check your email in cPanel to see if that is the case.

Last edited:

Victor Delta

Reaction score
Thanks for that. Will PM you my email address when I can work out how to do it (can't see an obvious PM button at present!).

If Gmail is blocking them then so are 3 other major ISPs which I find hard to believe - especially as there were never any such problems before Monday. Furthermore, none are showing up in the relevant spam filters and - I've just checked - there are no bounce messages back in my x10 account.

I've just tried sending another outgoing x10 email as well as replying to an inward email that I sent earlier from another account, but neither have reached their destinations...(or ended up in spam filters)?

Most odd!

Victor Delta

Reaction score
Many thanks. Actually I worked it out yesterday and PMed him but have not heard anything back yet. Thanks again.

Victor Delta

Reaction score
Have changed the 'to' address in the contact form to one of my x10 addresses, and the form's emails now actually arrive in that account. However, the email forwarding from that account is not working nor can I send a manual email out from that account (or the other 2).

Definitely looks as if the server is blocking any outgoing email from my x10 account. Can someone please help me resolve this.

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
...or it's being silently discarded at the receiving end. That happens, you know.

Victor Delta

Reaction score
Hi. I'm not quite sure what you are suggesting... but I've tried sending to so many different email accounts (with different providers) that I find it hard to believe they are all disappearing in to thin air and without generating any error/bounce messages back.

Server blocking also happens, you know.

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
You've already been told that your mail is making it out locally here. Not bouncing/silently discarding is pretty normal for "problem" sources; you don't want to clue offenders in to either the block or to a potential fix. Silent discards have been an admin "best practice" since the mid-aughts. Whether it's because of your domain (whichever of the x10 domains you are using a subdomain of) or the originating IP address needs to be determined.

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
It would be helpful if one of your email providers had reasonably responsive customer service (forget Google) to find out what's being blocked and why. The folks here are usually pretty good at going to bat when they know what the problem is and how to go about negotiating assurances that they've fixed whatever caused the block in the first place.

(On the other hand, it could result in new levels of enforcement around here. It could be something as simple as people not including unsubscribe links building up a history of recipients marking the mail as spam to make it stop. If that happens with enough accounts on the same server or the same main domain, it can tar everybody using it with the same brush.)

Status
Not open for further replies.