wikimedia and index.php on x10hosting free hosting

Status
Not open for further replies.

acpcrio3

Reaction score
i made a wikimedia subdomain on x10hosting free hosting but i get 'index.php' in the url or '500 internal server error'. how do i fix this?

HlmLk4E.png

i made a wikimedia subdomain on x10hosting free hosting but i get 'index.php' in the url or '500 internal server error'. how do i fix this?

>>short explanation

>[user].pcriot.com/[mediaiwki]
>becomes"[user].pcriot.com/[mediawiki]/index.php/Main_Page"

>need it "[user].pcriot.com/[mediawiki]/Main_Page
>or need "[user].pcriot.com/[mediawiki]/[action]/Main_Page"

>on x10hostinc.om free web hosting (pcriot.com)

how?

please help me

>>long explanation

>setup and wikimedia
>go to the wiki directory
>404 forbidden

i'm using x10hosting free hosting.

i went to cpanel and setup wikimedia and mysql there. -
(after not being sure of which operating system to choose when attempting to downlaod and install mysql manually.).

i tried a bunch of different methods. but none seem to work right.

i want the wikimedia index to appear on this page; by the way.

http://ac.pcriot.com/mewi/

without "index.php" in the url; etc..

without any ".htaccess" file in the root directory or the wikimedia directory - it's "403 forbidden".

Code:
Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /home/acpcrio3/public_html/mewi/.htm on this server.

Additionally, a 403 Forbidden error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

it looks like it's attempting to go to ".htm". no obvious solution on how to fix that.

so i took out all the settings for ".htaccess" in the root directory. -
in favor of putting indivudal ".htaccess" files in the directory - where they're needed.

but then i get.

but then i get.

http://ac.pcriot.com/mewi/index.php/Main_Page

the page displays.

but i get
"*.pcriot.com/*/index.php/Main_Page/" -
not
"*.pcriot.com/*/Main_Page/". -
or
"*.pcriot.com/*/[action]/Main_Page".

i don't want "index.php" in the url.

i've tried various methods. - but it usually results in "internal server error".

i think some settings may require a server restart. - but x10hosting doesn't let you do that.

x10hosting uses the "Litespeed web server on Linux". - apparently. - not sure if that would require a restart or not.

by the way. i don't want to use up my "sub-domains". since i only have 2. i'd rather have them be uniform in sub-directories.

can anyone else see if they can get wikimedia working on free hosting in a directory on the site?

too long; didn't read: wikimedia can't be setup to display the page properly. how do i fix this?

please help me

Last edited:

insanit4

Reaction score
can anyone else see if they can get wikimedia working on free hosting in a directory on the site?
I installed it ok. Having index.php in the url is normal and I don't know of a way to get rid of it without access to Apache (but that doesn't mean there isn't one).

Do you know why you are getting the 500s?

I'm also not sure I understand correctly. Do you want a subdomain for each user of your site?

With sql settings, you don't need to download mysql or anything else. Jump on cPanel, phpmyadmin, then make a new database. Add a user to that database. When you run mw-config: type is 'mysql', server is 'localhost'. The only other stuff you need to put in is the name of the database, user, and the user's password.

acpcrio3

Reaction score
I installed it ok. Having index.php in the url is normal and I don't know of a way to get rid of it without access to Apache (but that doesn't mean there isn't one).

same. oh. well i guess there's not a way to do it then. apparently.

Do you know why you are getting the 500s?

by using different methods to try to get it to -not- display "index.php" in the url. - i didn't list them because they were so numerous and failed. - interest noted.

I'm also not sure I understand correctly. Do you want a subdomain for each user of your site?

oh. no. - it'd be nice if i had some other method of creating subdomains other than the cpanel method; which limits me to 2. -
i'd want it to mainly be for different sections of the site. - but basically unlimited subdomains could be used for basically unlimited possibilities.
too long; didn't read: no.

With sql settings, you don't need to download mysql or anything else. Jump on cPanel, phpmyadmin, then make a new database. Add a user to that database. When you run mw-config: type is 'mysql', server is 'localhost'. The only other stuff you need to put in is the name of the database, user, and the user's password.

i know that. i wanted to play with it. i used "cpanel>databases>mysql databases" to make a new database - "mewida" - "anonpcrio3_mewida"; it says there's 1 on there. in "cpanel>databases>phpmyadmin>databases" - it shows 2 database's; "anonpcrio3_emwida" and "information_chema"; but x10host "all sql databases" says i only have "1/2" databases; i'm guessing "information_schema" is a system database by x10host or something. - i'm not sure how to add a user to that database; and i don't really think i want to. - i used softalicious mediawiki at this point; but noted; thank you.

i had this in the ".htaccess" file under "/public_html/mewi" (mediawiki). - causing the "500 internal server error".

Code:
##https://shorturls.redwerks.org/?source=userdata&url=http%3A%2F%2Fac.pcriot.com%2Fmewi%2Findex.php%2FMain_Page&server=litespeed&has_root=1&mod_php=1&script=%2Fmewi%2Findex.php&fcgi_pass=127.0.0.1%3A9000&hashed_uploads=1&articlepath=%2Fmewi%2F%241&thumb_handler=on
##
##MediaWiki ShortURL Builder - Redwerks
##
##/mewi/.htaccess

RewriteEngine On
RewriteCond %{DOCUMENT_ROOT}%{REQUEST_URI} !-f
RewriteCond %{DOCUMENT_ROOT}%{REQUEST_URI} !-d
RewriteRule ^(.*)$ %{DOCUMENT_ROOT}/mewi/index.php [L]

RewriteRule ^/?mewi/images/thumb/[0-9a-f]/[0-9a-f][0-9a-f]/([^/]+)/([0-9]+)px-.*$ %{DOCUMENT_ROOT}/mewi/thumb.php?f=$1&width=$2 [L,QSA,B]

RewriteRule ^/?mewi/images/thumb/archive/[0-9a-f]/[0-9a-f][0-9a-f]/([^/]+)/([0-9]+)px-.*$ %{DOCUMENT_ROOT}/mewi/thumb.php?f=$1&width=$2&archived=1 [L,QSA,B]

the "##" notes in the code i put there myself to simply explain what the code is a little bit - or at least where i got it from.

i was trying to get rid of the "index.php" in the middle; despite not having enough control with this free hosting to do this; apparently.

i decided to just leave the code that gave me the "500 internal server error" intentionally. instead of having mediawiki up with "index.php" in the url.

to talk about the issue again. basically i want the page to display correctly without "index.php" in the url.
you can take away "index.php" using some method; but then the css or something and everything is broken for some reason.
you can also attempt some methods suggested by some stuff; but it results in 500 internal server errors.
welp...

by the way i also made some error fixes to my other post. it's nice to be able to still edit the message. after so long. anyway.

thank you for the relatively fast response. please excuse the late reply. i was really overwhelmed.

i'm likely going to leave "index.php" in the url indefinitely. since there's no way around this with this free hosting. apparently.

thank you.

Last edited:

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
You need:
Code:
RewriteBase /

Without that, you get a redirect to a directory that a web user doesn't have access to.

By the way, making your post look like a really bad "conspiracy theory" website with multiple fonts/sizes/colours really doesn't help encourage people to help you. It's more of a warning to "stay away, 'cuz this one's gonna be trouble." If you've posted in this support forum at all, we already know it's important to you.

acpcrio3

Reaction score
You need:
Code:
RewriteBase /

Without that, you get a redirect to a directory that a web user doesn't have access to.

oh. i'm not sure where that goes exactly. i'm guessing i can't do it with free hosting and need more server-side access or something.

By the way, making your post look like a really bad "conspiracy theory" website with multiple fonts/sizes/colours really doesn't help encourage people to help you. It's more of a warning to "stay away, 'cuz this one's gonna be trouble." If you've posted in this support forum at all, we already know it's important to you.

it's not that. i made an image. i didn't do that to encourage people to help me. i only did it so people could understand more easily and fast. i don't see that as trouble. i heard a report that "emoji's" are popular because they are statistically more likely to get a reply. but quality is needed more than quantity here.

thank you.

edit.

i used this code. - again. under the "\public_html\mewi\" directory.

Code:
RewriteEngine On

RewriteRule ^/?mewi/images/thumb/[0-9a-f]/[0-9a-f][0-9a-f]/([^/]+)/([0-9]+)px-.*$ %{DOCUMENT_ROOT}/mewi/thumb.php?f=$1&width=$2 [L,QSA,B]

RewriteRule ^/?mewi/images/thumb/archive/[0-9a-f]/[0-9a-f][0-9a-f]/([^/]+)/([0-9]+)px-.*$ %{DOCUMENT_ROOT}/mewi/thumb.php?f=$1&width=$2&archived=1 [L,QSA,B]

RewriteBase /

then i got a "400 bad request" error. - so i tried putting the code somewhere else.

Code:
RewriteEngine On

RewriteBase /

same issue.

Hl9PJ6x.png

oh well...

thanks you.

Last edited:

addozone

Reaction score
All those colors and fonts make my eyes bleed so I admit I didn't read everything you posted carefully. Are you looking for a way to manage your URL so the index.php (and parameters) don't show up?

I'm doing that with an X10 free account using an addon domain and the .htaaccess file. Here's an example: http://addo.zone/GQ . The real URL is http://addozone.x10host.com/addo.zone/index.php?artist=GQ .

The addon domain deals with stripping the [addozone.x10host.com/] part, and the .htaccess file deals with the [index.php?artist=] part.

If that's what you're trying to do, the working .htaccess code is below. If not, good luck!

Code:
RewriteOptions inherit
RewriteEngine on
RewriteBase /

RewriteCond %{THE_REQUEST} ^[A-Z]{3,}\s/+index\.php\?artist=([^\s]+) [NC]
RewriteRule ^ %1? [R=301,L]

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
RewriteRule ^(.*)$ /index.php?artist=$1 [L]

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.