Created subdomain but now I can't use it to make a new domain

Status
Not open for further replies.

rejectli

Reaction score
What I want to do is create a new domain, but during the process of doing this x10hosting told me I have to first create a subdomain.

So have created a subdomain, but only get as far as the first page of creating a website to go on it.

Get this error:
(XID vax695) A DNS entry for the domain “surviveuk.rejectlists.pcriot.com” already exists.

I've search google for the method to fix this and it says I need to run a script, e.g. /scripts/killdns subdomain.com

But killdns is not listed under my scripts in the X3 Control Panel.

Do I need to remove the old subdomain. If so, how?
If I need to clear the DNS, how do I do this?

Anna

I am just me
Staff member
Reaction score
To delete an existing subdomain, just go to the subdomains sections of cPanel and you should see the option right next to the listing of the subdomain you want to remove.

Depending on how you try to create a website on the domain the system might actually try to create it for you (error message suggests that at least), in that case you would have to delete it first before you can actually create a website, and re-add the subdomain, on it.

Killdns is for the record a serverside command that would require root access, something that shared hosting would not allow.

rejectli

Reaction score
Strange, there wasn't a Subdomains option in CPanel when I last viewed it but it has now mysteriously appeared.

Deleted the old subdomain.

Went to the create a new domain section. Didn't create the subdomain in advance this time as you create the subdomain during the create domain process.

Got this error this time:

(XID vardgf) Sorry, the domain is already pointed to an IP address that does not appear to use DNS servers associated with this server. Please transfer the domain to this servers nameservers or have your administrator add one of its nameservers to /etc/ips.remotedns and make the proper A entries on that remote nameserver.

Tried several versions. Kept getting same error. The domain I'm adding is using the format it created for me - I didn't edit it so don't understand why the system thinks it's on another server.

addozone

Reaction score
Hard to figure out what you're trying to achieve. You can't create a 'new domain' in free hosting. You have one domain that is associated with your account and userid: <userid>.x10host.com. You can create addon domains, parked domains, and subdomains associated with this account. The right choice depends on what you're trying to achieve. Are you looking to host a domain that is registered elsewhere on X10? No problem–use an addon domain. Are you trying to host a subdomain on X10 for a domain that is not hosted on X10? I don't think you can do that. The error message you posted indicates that your domain is hosted elsewhere.

Please elaborate on what you want to do.

I'm new to the X10 community myself, so if I've got any of this wrong, I invite others to please correct me.

rejectli

Reaction score
Please elaborate on what you want to do.
I have a domain with x10hosting, e.g. www.X.pcriot.com.
I want to have another domain with x10hosting, e.g. www.Y.pcriot.com.
I searched on google to find out if this was possible and discovered that it was. I learnt that I needed to create a subdomain within my existing domain then add on a domain using this subdomain. I haven't got to the stage yet whereby I can redirect calls to www.Y.pcriot.com to point to the subdomain, so that from the user's perspective what they see is www.Y.pcriot.com, not www.X.pcriot.com/subdomain/Y which looks ugly.
I don't care if it's a real domain as long as from the user's perspective it looks and behaves like a real domain. Everything I've read on google and at x10hosting says that this is possible so that is what I'm trying to do, but I keep getting these errors when filling out the addon domain form.

The error message you posted indicates that your domain is hosted elsewhere.
Yes, and as I said, it is not. So the error message is in error itself. For example, I have www.X.pcriot.com and I'm trying to addon a domain, www.Y.pcriot.com. It has asked me what domain to base the www.Y.pcriot.com on and I've selected from a list the existing www.X.pcriot.com. It is this latter domain that x10hosting is claiming is hosted elsewhere. It isn't. i don't have any other domains registered. Only the one with x10hosting.

So, how can I get around this erroneous error?

addozone

Reaction score
I have a domain with x10hosting, e.g. www.X.pcriot.com.
I want to have another domain with x10hosting, e.g. www.Y.pcriot.com.
I searched on google to find out if this was possible and discovered that it was. I learnt that I needed to create a subdomain within my existing domain then add on a domain using this subdomain.
I think 'the google' has given you bad advice, or you misunderstood it. If you want to host another domain with X10, you create an addon domain and point your registered domain to it. You don't create a subdomain and then an addon domain in a subdomain.

I haven't got to the stage yet whereby I can redirect calls to www.Y.pcriot.com to point to the subdomain, so that from the user's perspective what they see is www.Y.pcriot.com, not www.X.pcriot.com/subdomain/Y which looks ugly.
Does this mean that you haven't updated your domain's nameservers yet? Not on X10, but on the domain registrar's site? That's what the error message is telling you.

I don't care if it's a real domain as long as from the user's perspective it looks and behaves like a real domain. Everything I've read on google and at x10hosting says that this is possible so that is what I'm trying to do, but I keep getting these errors when filling out the addon domain form.
All domains are real domains. All they do is point to a host. If you want a custom URL without the "X10" part of the address, yes that can be done. Focus on getting your new X10 site working first.

Yes, and as I said, it is not. So the error message is in error itself. For example, I have www.X.pcriot.com and I'm trying to addon a domain, www.Y.pcriot.com. It has asked me what domain to base the www.Y.pcriot.com on and I've selected from a list the existing www.X.pcriot.com. It is this latter domain that x10hosting is claiming is hosted elsewhere. It isn't. i don't have any other domains registered. Only the one with x10hosting.

So, how can I get around this erroneous error?
What is the real address for "www.X.pcriot.com"?

rejectli

Reaction score
I think 'the google' has given you bad advice, or you misunderstood it. If you want to host another domain with X10, you create an addon domain and point your registered domain to it. You don't create a subdomain and then an addon domain in a subdomain.
Ha, now I am confused. If I just wanted to partition off a separate part of my existing website then I could easily do that by simply creating a new directory. What exactly is a subdomain and what is it used for?

Does this mean that you haven't updated your domain's nameservers yet? Not on X10, but on the domain registrar's site? That's what the error message is telling you.
I have no idea. All I've done so far is create a website with x10hosting. x10hosting managed the setup of the website and the registering of the domain name. I had no direct involvement in it.

All domains are real domains. All they do is point to a host. If you want a custom URL without the "X10" part of the address, yes that can be done. Focus on getting your new X10 site working first.
Added to what was said before, that "You can't create a 'new domain' in free hosting", I am now confused as to what the purpose of Addon Domains is.

What is the real address for "www.X.pcriot.com"?
http://rejectlists.pcriot.com

Anna

I am just me
Staff member
Reaction score
The purpose of addon domains is to be able to add a domain you already own, such as mysite.com, as a separate site on your account.

A subdomain is actually used to partition of the site, often you would see it being used to add a forum, a blog etc and give those their own URL. As an example one could do blog.mydomain.pcriot.com (where mydomain.pcriot.com would be the main domain I got during signup for the account).

Status
Not open for further replies.