SSL

sobakix2

Reaction score
with the current overall trend of securing the entire web thus making it more reliable and safe for everyone, do you guys plan to support SSL on free accounts?

lylex10h

Reaction score
It is supported on free accounts via Cloudflare Flexible SSL.

sobakix2

Reaction score
OK, great, this means a shitload of testing, probably tweaking, learning, and managing yet another piece of infrastructure. Just what we need for a small scale volunteer project.

But, seriously, thanks. At least it's a possible workaround for now.

Still would love to see the opinion of x10 folks. I know I'm asking for free cheese but there are reasons for growing popularity and support of free letsenrypt ssl. The web is not the same open and friendly environment anymore.

danielle.seiley61

Prime Account
Reaction score
It's probably not as bad as that. It's all going to just depend on what kind of website you've built. I had no problems in Joomla turning on the "Force HTTPS" on the server tab, and then going to cloudflare and turning on the "Flexible SSL". Under a single domain, everything works as it should. It broke my 2nd domain name, but I just setup a redirection which created a temporary fix for now.

But please understand that Flexible SSL is not the same as what you are asking which is true SSL. Here is a link to see what exactly flexible ssl really is.

OK, great, this means a shitload of testing, probably tweaking, learning, and managing yet another piece of infrastructure. Just what we need for a small scale volunteer project.

But, seriously, thanks. At least it's a possible workaround for now.

Still would love to see the opinion of x10 folks. I know I'm asking for free cheese but there are reasons for growing popularity and support of free letsenrypt ssl. The web is not the same open and friendly environment anymore.

sobakix2

Reaction score
It's not too bad I agree, on a contrary it was as simple as flipping the switch.

But in my particular case it's useless. I have an IDN domain name which is CloudFlare just does not support.

The thing is though comes July, Chrome browser will start marking non-ssl sites 'not secure' which is sadly true, but it might scare away even those who does not plan to interact with sites, just browse.

danielle.seiley61

Prime Account
Reaction score
Well if you can afford it, Google Domains are only $12 for a .com address for a year. I changed at the beginning of the year cause GoDaddy is currently charging like $15.99 now for a .com address.

It's not too bad I agree, on a contrary it was as simple as flipping the switch.

But in my particular case it's useless. I have an IDN domain name which is CloudFlare just does not support.

The thing is though comes July, Chrome browser will start marking non-ssl sites 'not secure' which is sadly true, but it might scare away even those who does not plan to interact with sites, just browse.

danielle.seiley61

Prime Account
Reaction score
it's not about changing the domain registrar, it's all about IDN domains not supported by CloudFlare

I'm sorry. I didn't mean to give off the impression of switching domain registrars. I thought an IDN was something else so when you responded, I looked it up. Now I see what you are talking about. Obviously I don't know the url to your site, but if I was in your situation I'd consider maybe getting a regular domain and depending on you how your site is built maybe use a translator? Again I don't know if your site's in english or not so I don't know if that'd help you.

I'm in the process of rebuilding my site that allows people to switch the site's default language & country, by clicking on their country's flag. It's a very long, tedious, & repetitive process using joomla... but it does allow me the opportunity to have multiple frontpages in various languages and the ability to post different articles in various languages that wouldn't be available in other languages. Sorry if I'm not explaining very well.

Again it's just a suggestion.

lylex10h

Reaction score
Just to be clear to others, Cloudflare does support UTF8 IDNs and has since 2012 per blog post.
Cloudflare's SSL (a feature of Cloudflare), does not support UTF8 IDNs per FAQ.