Free Hosting - can I run CGI .exe programs ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fofemsrv

Reaction score
I have a CGI C++ program that I've compiled with Visual Studio on Windows, the program conforms to CGI, it uses stdout to output a .HTML file.
I want to invoke it from a .html web page on my 'free' site...
Is that allowed with free hosting ?

kenny9

Reaction score
I was able to before x10 put the limit on file sizes. The unlimited file size was what initially drew me to x10. With the .exe files I was running it was hard to stay under the limit. One way would be to place them on a file storage site and link to them on your x10 site.

fofemsrv

Reaction score
I was able to before x10 put the limit on file sizes. The unlimited file size was what initially drew me to x10. With the .exe files I was running it was hard to stay under the limit. One way would be to place them on a file storage site and link to them on your x10 site.
Thanks for the info kenny, a couple questions for you .
What is the file size limit ?
Did you compile your .exe on your Windows computer ?
Did you have to rename the .exe file extension to run it on x10 ?
What folder on x10 did you place it in ?

fofemsrv

Reaction score
I'm reading various online posts and getting mixed messages, So just to clarify ---> are C++ scripts allowed with free hosting ?

lylex10h

Reaction score
I'm 99% sure you can only use PHP scripts on free hosting.

kenny9

Reaction score
This is the file size limit, found in the TOS, located under the 'LEGAL' tab found at the bottom right of each page:
Hosting accounts may not be used to store backups, personal files, or non-web accessible files. Any files hosted on the account must be directly related to the website the account is intended for. Files over 10MB in size will be automatically removed from non-upgraded accounts.

I do not use cpanel for my website. I build my website on my computer with my own software and upload by FTP. I have my computer hard drive backed up on an external hard drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.