The "php installation/mysql extension WordPress" issue. Need help ASAP.

carlnold

Reaction score
Hello, I am using a free version of x10hosting. I've installed the latest version of WordPress (5.3) in the cPanel via the Softaculous installer. For now, I am linking the WordPress site with my standard regular primary domain address, for testing. When I click on this link address, it takes me to a page that says "your PHP installation appears to be missing the MySQL extension which is required by WordPress." I've done what others have done by going to "select PHP version," in the cPanel, in order to set the PHP to a higher version (version 7.3). But, how come the server information in my cPanel still says the server uses PHP 5.6.40? The server information in my cPanel also says that the MySQL Version is 10.0.38-MariaDB-cll-lve and the Apache Version is 2.4.41. The cPanel Version is 82.0 (build 16). In phpMyAdmin, the web server information says:
  • cpsrvd 11.82.0.16
  • Database client version: libmysql - 5.6.43
  • PHP extension: mysqli curl mbstring
  • PHP version: 7.2.7
I've even tried to fix the error by going into WHM (web host manager) and working with EasyApache 4, but the username and password doesn't work for logging in. I've used the same username and password for logging into my x10hosting account, but it doesn't work. I just want to install the latest version of WordPress in my free x10hosting account/cPanel but the issue "your PHP installation appears to be missing the MySQL extension which is required by WordPress," is keeping me from doing this. What is the solution?

Also, the issue comes up regardless of what version of PHP I use in the cPanel. And there is no php.ini file in the server/file manager. I've looked and it's not there.

Last edited:

spacresx

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Others have reported issues trying to install wordpress from there.
x10 apparently had issues when they updated cpanel and changed
to the paper_lantern cpanel theme.
the suggested workaround was just to download a fresh copy
of wordpress and install it that way, avoiding using softalicious.

also check that your using paper_lantern as the cpanel theme.
re-select it even if it shows paper_lantern.

carlnold

Reaction score
Others have reported issues trying to install wordpress from there.
x10 apparently had issues when they updated cpanel and changed
to the paper_lantern cpanel theme.
the suggested workaround was just to download a fresh copy
of wordpress and install it that way, avoiding using softalicious.

also check that your using paper_lantern as the cpanel theme.
re-select it even if it shows paper_lantern.

Thanks!