Setting up email Forwarding with custom name servers

Status
Not open for further replies.

smallmom

Reaction score
Since my website got switched over to directAdmin, emails stopped getting through for all of my forwarding email addresses and now they are no longer listed in my email manager. My domain is through google and to remove any possible issues with the switch to directadmin, I want to re-setup my email addresses through google.
They provide this nice instruction page, but when I try to add these mx records in directadmin, they don't take. Can anyone help point me in the right direction?

https://support.google.com/domains/answer/9428703

Thanks for help in advance

cjptomas80

Reaction score
your domain is bought from https://domains.google/? check for its name server entry. if ns1.x10hosting.com / ns2.x10hosting.com you should be able to edit DNS settings on Directadmin of x10hosting. If kip.ns.cloudflare.com / olga.ns.cloudflare.com you must edit those on Cloudflare.
before editing any those entries on DNS be sure to take note those entries in case of something unexpected happen.

smallmom

Reaction score
Yes, bought through google domains.... dns is set to ns1.x10hosting.com and ns2.x10hosting.com.

So I go to DNS Management and I see the MX records toward the bottom. Do I edit those or click modify MX records on the top? It looks like the same thing. I get for Type it is MX, TTL would be 3600 and value I just copy/paste what it says on the google help. But what do I put in the name. Do I put the domain (smallmomentsproductions.com)?

MXRecodUpdate.jpg

* note I didn't have in previous post: my email addresses were @smallmomentsproductions.com, but now are missing. The ones in the list are now @smallmomentsproductions.x10host.com and I can't change it.

Last edited:

cjptomas80

Reaction score
Try to add an email account on email manager of directadmin. the one you use before, just that the former email adress is gone with all it emails.

smallmom

Reaction score
The emails can only be @smallmomentsproductions.x10host.com. I cannot change it to @smallmomentsproductions.com

cjptomas80

Reaction score
DirectAdmin ways on managing is per domain. If you editing outside the "Account Manager" on dashboard, all setting are per domain based. Be sure to check which domain is active at the time you edit the "e-mail manager".
Like here in my domains under my account. etze.pcriot.com and finite.one pay attention on red circle on pictures on this post.
Hi7kqDO.png

pE8quvC.png

Anna

I am just me
Staff member
Reaction score
If the domain was previously a parked domain, it would now have been converted to a "Domain Pointer". Pointers are however slightly "dumb" domains, they replicate the behavior of the domain it points to but can not hold any email addresses or dns settings of its own.

To be able to change dns (MX records are part of dns) of that domain, you would need to remove it from pointers and then set it up as a separate domain using "Add New" under "Domain setup"

cjptomas80

Reaction score
I didn't think about the park domain/pointer domain regarding on its emails. Thanks for the information.

smallmom

Reaction score
So I had no option to switch domains in email manager. I went to domain setup and added smallmomentsproductions.com (and had to delete the x10host one to add it) and now my website doesn't work at all. I have to reupload everything.

I don't want to use x10host at all for email. I want to set it up so it runs all through google domains and the only thing x10 has to worry about is the website. Now I need to get my website and email to work again.

Status
Not open for further replies.