Access Forum Board Through Custom Domain URL

Status
Not open for further replies.

femifitx

Reaction score
Hi,

Can anyone please provide some guidance on how to navigate to my discussion forum on my x10hosting site through my custom domain? The scenario is, I'm using x10hosting with my custom domain (I 'parked' this when I set it up, but I understand with the move from cPanel, things are set up and referenced a bit differently now). Everything runs fine now as is. But I just installed Elkarte (automatic installation) and I want to reference it using my custom domain. So, right now, my forum URL is: x10hosting.com/elkarte but I want it to be custom_domain.com/elkarte. I assumed it should just be forwarded automatically, but it's not. Any advice on what I need to do?

Thanks.

Anna

I am just me
Staff member
Reaction score
If the custom domain is properly pointed to our servers it should be automatic, though given that it looks like you use cloudflares proxy service (the IP that comes up when looking up the domain is one of theirs at least) it may just be that it has to be properly updated and add the new forum to its cache.

How does the settings look at cloudflare regarding your custom domain?

femifitx

Reaction score
Hi Anna!

Thanks for responding. Yes, I use cloudflare's proxy. The domain is proxied through cloudflare, so I assume everything under it should automatically be proxied as well. In Cloudflare, the A record points to my custom domain and www is a subdomain with a CNAME record there as well. Are you saying I need to specifically add the forum as a record in cloudflare?

Anna

I am just me
Staff member
Reaction score
No, you should not need to add anything specifically regarding the forum, the question is what server (IP address) cloudflare is told to pick the information for your domain from, the old server is still online, but would obviously not have the forum installed for instance, the base site would still work and look correct if you made no changes though.

femifitx

Reaction score
Oh, I haven't made any changes at all to my x10hosting account. No changes to my Cloudflare settings either. My site has continued to work well post-migration to DirectAdmin, so I've not had change anything (in x10hosting or cloudflare). My site currently points to xo2.x10hosting.com in Cloudflare.

Anna

I am just me
Staff member
Reaction score
you are on x13.x10hosting.com now, so your site would need to be updated to point towards that, the IP for that server is: 198.91.81.13

xo2 will be taken offline eventually, probably not too far off in the future.

femifitx

Reaction score
you are on x13.x10hosting.com now, so your site would need to be updated to point towards that, the IP for that server is: 198.91.81.13

xo2 will be taken offline eventually, probably not too far off in the future.

Yikes! Thanks! Just made the changed the A record. Everything else should be fine, right?

Anna

I am just me
Staff member
Reaction score
Assuming you do not have other records that also point to xo2 then, yes everything else should be fine. There may be a bit delay before the change has gone through fully and the cloudflare proxy has cached the new content.

Though, you might want to login to the forums admin area and make sure it is set to use the custom domain, otherwise it may set all internal links to be the x10 provided domain.

femifitx

Reaction score
I just checked and it looks like none of the recent changes I made to my site are reflected. Does my site need to be migrated to this new server to reflect the changes?

Anna

I am just me
Staff member
Reaction score
Any changes you made to the site before updating the IP, but after migration was done, would not be carried over automatically, as they would be on the old server only.

Would the changes be stored in the database or have you also uploaded files? The database I probably can get one fresh from the old server still, I can't get a hold of files though

femifitx

Reaction score
Any changes you made to the site before updating the IP, but after migration was done, would not be carried over automatically, as they would be on the old server only.

Would the changes be stored in the database or have you also uploaded files? The database I probably can get one fresh from the old server still, I can't get a hold of files though

Oh God! I didn't realize this IP change needed to be made (didn't get any directive to that effect). I believe the changes I made were both to the database and files (I edited the site, updated images, menu e.t.c...). Is it possible to do a complete update with everything I have on the old server, please? I've made quite a number of edits since migration that I can't possibly pinpoint them all out off the top of my head.

Anna

I am just me
Staff member
Reaction score
It was mentioned in the announcement that anyone not using our nameservers would need to do a manual IP update.

I have placed a backup of the database, which I took from the old server just now, in the root of your account.

I do not have access to any files on the old server. I can check with admins with access and ask them to sort it out, though that would likely mean that they wipe the current account and retransfer which would make you loose changes made from inside DA.

You should still be able to access ftp on the old server though, using the server address as host, so it may actually be quicker to grab all files there, technically you should only need to grab the contents of wp_content/uploads as that's where anything you upload from within wordpress would be stored. As for menu changes and other textual changes that would be part of the database.

femifitx

Reaction score
Ok, thank you. I won't be in front of my laptop for several hours, but I'll try the upload later tonight. Hopefully all goes well.

Anna

I am just me
Staff member
Reaction score
I hope so too, good luck.

I'm about to clock of for the night, I'm located in Europe so it is about time for me to do that, I also asked the admins that can access the old servers if there's an easy way for to just grab the files from the old server.

Anna

I am just me
Staff member
Reaction score
As I suspected the best option to get stuff off the old server from our side was to terminate the current DA account and just retransfer a fresh package.
Let me know if you want us to do this, but be aware that changes made in directadmin, such as installing the forum would then be lost.

femifitx

Reaction score
Thanks Anna. I think it might be best to do that. I'll just re-install the forum (I haven't added a lot of content there as is).

Thanks so much. I truly appreciate you!

femifitx

Reaction score
Hi Anna,

Please, is there an ETA on the retransfer? I'm concerned about people interacting with the visible outdated version of my website and having new updates to the outdated database (that won't be reflected in the transfer). I know the admins are likely very busy with other stuff, but any chance someone can kindly move on this ASAP?

Anna

I am just me
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm sorry about the delayed response, I have been promised by admin with access that'll he'll take care of it today (his today is in US timezone so could be a few hours unitil it is done I guess). I have not had word it is done yet though.

femifitx

Reaction score
I'm sorry about the delayed response, I have been promised by admin with access that'll he'll take care of it today (his today is in US timezone so could be a few hours unitil it is done I guess). I have not had word it is done yet though.

Thanks. I've been waiting eagerly.

Status
Not open for further replies.