403 Forbidden

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anna

I am just me
Staff member
Reaction score
it looks like a lot if not all the website pages were transferred or copied into other folders.. EXCEPT the HTML files that tell the pages what to do! So Who do I reach out to for help???
Are you missing files in your account? We can sort that from our backups (though that will overwrite everything I believe so if you made any changes you want to keep, download a copy of those files to be sure).

If there are missing files that fact in itself can cause issue.

The public_html you see in the root is just a shortcut, any folder with an bent arrow on usually is a shortcut (symbolic link), to the one located in domains/DOMAIN/ (and only works for the default domain if you have more of them). The actual public_html you see under domains need to have 755 as permissions (777 lets the world write to your files and is generally a bad idea).

I sorted the error for you by changing a couple errors in your .htaccess (they were spelling error and a missing space so I'm thinking you didn't use copy and paste for the code).

freedom5

Reaction score
ok, try removing the "Options +Indexes" first.
if that dont work, add it back and remove "IndexIgnore *"
the 2 indexes may be conflicting with each other.

in my htaccess i dont use the "Options +Indexes"
never had a need to but i do use the "IndexIgnore *" in mine without any issue.
I just went to fix what you said.. and I see that someone already did!! whoever.. thank you! the file now reads:
Options +Indexes
DirectoryIndex default.htm
#IndexIgnore *
#

and that's it. and the site is back up. I'll check each page but whoever (if it was you, Spacresx, thanks!) Thank you very much.

btw what is a .php file used for?? my coding was originally in html3.2 then later in 4 and that's it

Anna

I am just me
Staff member
Reaction score
I was on your account and sorted a couple small things.

php is a programming language that allows you to create dynamic content (while html is generally more static). This forum here for instance is written using php as its programming language.

freedom5

Reaction score
I was on your account and sorted a couple small things.

php is a programming language that allows you to create dynamic content (while html is generally more static). This forum here for instance is written using php as its programming language.
thank you very much all in all the site is up and all is perfect!! The old park Lives again! Welcome to Freedomland!

grahamal

Reaction score
Do you have an index file (ie index.html, index.php)? If you have a designated landing page with a different name you'll have to tell the server you want that to load by default, or change its name (and any links going to that file). To tell the server that your landing page should be the one called home.php (as an example) you would need to edit/create .htaccess and add the following (without quotes): "DirectoryIndex home.php". Change home.php to match your file.

Were you previously having the domain show a directory listing?
If you did you will now need to edit/create .htaccess and add the following line (without quotes): "Options +Indexes". This is due to the directorly listing being turned of by default for security.

If none of the above works, let me know and I'll investigate further.

I appreciate your expertise - I can see a way forward now! Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.