Resolved Add new plugins or theme disabled

Status
Not open for further replies.

maaix10h

Reaction score
I'm not sure if this is a host or WordPress issue, but when I signed into our website today the add new plugin drop-down menu was missing, again.

This is the second time. The first time was mid-May, so I searched for a solution, followed the steps advised, but disabling themes or plugins didn't fix the issue.

I then thought the problem was Wordpress so I manually installed a fresh copy only a few days ago on Monday the 1/6.

But the issue has returned and I'm not entirely sure what is going on.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards

Kathy

garrettroyce

Community Support
Community Support
Reaction score
Are you installing from Softaculous (in DirectAdmin) or are you uploading the files yourself?

Anna

I am just me
Staff member
Reaction score
Could you please take a screenshot showing the issue? The only dropdown I have in wordpress itself regarding adding new plugins is weather to search by tag, author or keyword right next to the input field for searching for a new plugin.

maaix10h

Reaction score
Hi garrettroyce, No I'm not installing via Softaculous. We've had the website for a few years now. The problem is I'm unable to update plugins or themes as the drop-down menu's under dashboard and plugins are missing, and after the fresh install of Wordpress it fixed it and I updated plugins, but then I signed in to find them missing again. I'm not sure what the cause is.

Hi Anna, that's the feature that is missing. Adding new plugins, updating or updating themes.

garrettroyce

Community Support
Community Support
Reaction score
Sounds like a bad plugin or theme is causing the menus to not appear. I believe you can set Wordpress to have an admin theme; maybe you can use the official theme just for admins and see if that helps?

Anna

I am just me
Staff member
Reaction score
Admin area is always unaffected from the theme you chose.

A plugin could cause it however.

zaweex10

Reaction score
To confirm the situation and in an attempt to provide a bit more granularity, I'll posit the following based on clicking the following admin main menu items:
  • Dashboard
  • Appearance
  • Plugins
Each of these menu items have submenu items, of which some submenu items are missing and specifically:
  • Dashboard - missing the "Updates" submenu item
  • Appearance - missing the "Theme Editor" submenu item (additionally the "Add New" button is missing from the "Themes" page)
  • Plugins - missing the "Add New" and the "Plugin Editor" submenu items (additionally the "Add New" button is missing from the "Plugins" page)
Furthermore, when on the "Plugins" page the "Bulk Actions" dropdown list is missing the following items:
  • Update
  • Delete
Is this your situation?

Anna

I am just me
Staff member
Reaction score
That does sound like a permissions issue to me.

I see you have a plugin called adminimize, that appears to be used primarily on multiuser sites but can be used to limit access and "clean up" the admin interface. I'd say it is a fair chance you find the solution by editing the options or removing that plugin (I have not tested it though).

zaweex10

Reaction score
That does sound like a permissions issue to me.

I see you have a plugin called adminimize, that appears to be used primarily on multiuser sites but can be used to limit access and "clean up" the admin interface. I'd say it is a fair chance you find the solution by editing the options or removing that plugin (I have not tested it though).

Is your reply to me or the OP?

Last edited:

maaix10h

Reaction score
zaweex10, thank you, yes that's exactly the issue I have.

Anna, I should have permissions as I'm one of the Administrator/Keymasters who helped create the site and I currently keep it maintained.

I wish I knew what happened. I've not had any problems before or have any problems with Wordpress on other sites I work on. Could this have anything to do with the host or the change to DirectAdmin?

Also, I don't think it's my site that has a plugin called Adminimize.

maaix10h

Reaction score
I've no idea where to turn to for help with this issue. I don't know if it's host-related, DirectAdmin related due to this migration or Wordpress related. If it's not at my end, I can't fix it. Something has been changed on my site, permissions or something.

I notice that WordPress has released an update which updated on my other website fine, but I can't do the same on this one. If its a Wordpress issue I've no problem downloading it and manually installing, but if the problem with this site is something else re-installing WordPress will not fix it.

maaix10h

Reaction score
Hi Garrett,

I've viewed the link above and no I haven't tried doing it that way by renaming the folder. I have however switched themes to the twenty twenty theme to see if it was the theme but that didn't fix it.

Yes, I did do a manual upload of Wordpress via FTP following the instructions here (https://kinsta.com/blog/reinstall-wordpress/) but that didn't fix it either.

The site has Site Health plugin, and this is the report from that.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-06-11 21.53.13.png
    Screenshot 2020-06-11 21.53.13.png
    67.6 KB · Views: 5

garrettroyce

Community Support
Community Support
Reaction score
Are you using multi site mode? A quick google search shows that causes problems if the permissions aren't right, even if you're an admin. I do recall this from a few years ago, but to be honest, I'm really rusty on Wordpress administration.

SO suggests it could be a permission error (sorry, no terminal access on x10hosting free):

https://wordpress.stackexchange.com/a/290902

An unusual config option:

https://wordpress.stackexchange.com/a/353960

Someone said maybe Javascript errors:

https://wordpress.org/support/article/using-your-browser-to-diagnose-javascript-errors/

Here's the nuclear option if you're in a bind:

https://wordpress.org/support/article/managing-plugins/#manual-plugin-installation

maaix10h

Reaction score
Hi Garrett,

No, I'm not using multisite mode but in any case, I think I've fixed the problem. I hope I have.

I found a suggestion on this page https://wordpress.org/support/topic/add-new-plugin-option-disappeared-2/ by Aims Infosoft and inserted the code at the bottom of the wp_config.php file, but after reading another comment at this page, https://stackoverflow.com/questions...-plugin-while-logged-in-as-admin-using-sage-t, I realised I'd put the code in the wrong place, I moved it up into the right section and this fixed the problem.

If this is a correct solution then the problem is fixed for now and this can be marked solved.

Thankyou for your help everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.