Resolved MariaDB 10.0.38 not compatible with upcoming Joomla 4.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

furiousmurphy

Reaction score
As stated in "Prepare for next major release" notification from Joomla, the minimum requirements are as follows for Joomla 4.0:
  • PHP 7.2.5
  • MySQL 5.6
  • MariaDB 10.1
  • PostgreSQL 11.0
My question is, are there plans in place to have the current version of MariaDB upgraded prior to the release of Joomla 4.0 stable?

I see that there has been a request from a user for the installation of MariaDB 10.1 for EspoCRM compatibility, but it was stated in that post
"The current version was chosen to match that of the old server to make migrations as easy as possible. An upgrade may be possible, but won't happen until sometime next week at the earliest due to other tasks having a higher priority right now."

I see that version 4 is now in early beta, and no date has yet been set for a stable release, but I am hopeful that this is something that you will be monitoring and making preparations for once migration bugs have been smoothed over.

garrettroyce

Community Support
Community Support
Reaction score
I gotta say, personally I disagree with their decision to require such a new version of SQL since it's such a hard thing to update. It's not even in the official CentOS repos. If x10hosting was my service, I absolutely would not commit to this being ready in the next year, let alone by the release date.

But, it's not my service, and someone else has to do all that work. All I have to do is flag this post, which I did. We'll see what the admin team has to say, but as you eluded to, there are more pressing issues right now.

Anna

I am just me
Staff member
Reaction score
I'd say Garret has a point, it will be upgraded eventually, but we can not commit to promise that it will be done by release time for joomla 4.0

In general we keep the version that works for the majority rather then make sure it works for one specific script, possibly breaking older scripts by upgrading too soon.

That being said, last I spoke with the admin about it he said we could probably go 10.1 as the current version was chosen to make migrations as easy as possible, but he didn't say when he'd be doing that (when I spoke to him corona wasn't an issue, but that has affected us in several ways delaying other parts).

Status
Not open for further replies.