Resolved "Update Failed: Could not create directory" Error Message

Status
Not open for further replies.

sccculti

Reaction score
I am using WordPress for my site and all of a sudden I can't update the plugins I am using or update to a newer version of WordPress. When I try to, I get the above error message. I have already tried adjusting my file permissions on my FTP client, but it didn't work. Is this an issue with WordPress, my FTP client, or X10hosting?

spacresx

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
You may need to provide more information.
But im suspecting its a wordpress error.

Can you access your website ok?
Can you log in to DirectAdmin ok?
is it just your FTP client showing the error?
or do you receive other errors?
or is just your wordpress giving errors?

You could try checking your error logs if you can access them.
also look at the logs in "
directadmin>system info and files>site summary/ statistics/logs>" then click "Log" and see what you have for errors.

Last edited:

Anna

I am just me
Staff member
Reaction score
The account is over quota, which is what causes the problem.

A large amount is due to backups being stored within the structure of your wordpress install. Those backups make up about half the disk usage of your account. Backups are best kept offsite, so you have access to them even if something happens to the account.

sccculti

Reaction score
You may need to provide more information.
But im suspecting its a wordpress error.

Can you access your website ok?
Can you log in to DirectAdmin ok?
is it just your FTP client showing the error?
or do you receive other errors?
or is just your wordpress giving errors?

You could try checking your error logs if you can access them.
also look at the logs in "
directadmin>system info and files>site summary/ statistics/logs>" then click "Log" and see what you have for errors.
I can access my website and DirectAdmin ok, and the error message only appears in WordPress. I can't seem to find my logs in my FTP client or in DirectAdmin, so I'm not sure if I have access to them.

Last edited:

sccculti

Reaction score
The account is over quota, which is what causes the problem.

A large amount is due to backups being stored within the structure of your wordpress install. Those backups make up about half the disk usage of your account. Backups are best kept offsite, so you have access to them even if something happens to the account.
How would I go about redirecting where my backups are stored?

garrettroyce

Community Support
Community Support
Reaction score
It would be difficult to have those backups go to your home computer. The easiest thing to do is to copy them using FTP or DirectAdmin and then delete them from the server.

sccculti

Reaction score
I have been trying to create a new backup of my site. I used the BackWPup plugin in WordPress, but it didn't work; it kept creating blank backup logs with no actual backups. So then I tried installing the Updraft Plus plugin but got the following error message: "Installation failed: Could not copy file. updraftplus/languages/updraftplus-pt_BR.po". What else should I try?

garrettroyce

Community Support
Community Support
Reaction score
Did you install it manually like I had mentioned above, or was that error during an automatic installation (using WordPress admin area to upload the zip)?

Anna

I am just me
Staff member
Reaction score
As long as the account remains over quota, file operations will fail, regardless of manual or automated installations.

You'll need to remove files already in the account to be able to create another backup (or any other action that requires you to write to the disk).

You also have two folders of wordpress installations (one called wp and one called wordpress) are both those something you actively use? If so you might qualify for extended diskspace (you should still not store the backups on the server though: create it, download it and delete it from the server is a good work order).

sccculti

Reaction score
Did you install it manually like I had mentioned above, or was that error during an automatic installation (using WordPress admin area to upload the zip)?
The error occurred during an automatic installation but I will try to install it manually.

sccculti

Reaction score
As long as the account remains over quota, file operations will fail, regardless of manual or automated installations.

You'll need to remove files already in the account to be able to create another backup (or any other action that requires you to write to the disk).

You also have two folders of wordpress installations (one called wp and one called wordpress) are both those something you actively use? If so you might qualify for extended diskspace (you should still not store the backups on the server though: create it, download it and delete it from the server is a good work order).
I do have both the WordPress and WP folders. How would I go about getting my diskspace extended?

Anna

I am just me
Staff member
Reaction score
During further investigation we found that the installation in /wp/ is compromised. Before we can go ahead and update the disk space you would need to remove all files (save a copy of wp-config.php so you can use that to re-add information to the new one) and replace with fresh vendor supplied files.

Also you should download a copy of your uploads folder in /wp-content/ if you have any images or other data that you have uploaded to your blog. Before putting it back on the account make sure it does NOT contain anything other then what you'd expect.

Make sure all plugins you plan on re-adding are fully supported and updated.

sccculti

Reaction score
During further investigation we found that the installation in /wp/ is compromised. Before we can go ahead and update the disk space you would need to remove all files (save a copy of wp-config.php so you can use that to re-add information to the new one) and replace with fresh vendor supplied files.

Also you should download a copy of your uploads folder in /wp-content/ if you have any images or other data that you have uploaded to your blog. Before putting it back on the account make sure it does NOT contain anything other then what you'd expect.

Make sure all plugins you plan on re-adding are fully supported and updated.
When you say "fresh vendor supplied files" do you mean files provided by WordPress or by x10hosting?

garrettroyce

Community Support
Community Support
Reaction score
Either download Wordpress from their website and install it, or use Softaculous from DirectAdmin

spacresx

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
i believe the "fresh vendor supplied files" files would be from
the wordpress website itself.
then upload and install the new files after removing
all other wordpress files only saving those you need
such as the config file.

sccculti

Reaction score
I have just downloaded some fresh files from WordPress.org. To be clear, I am only clearing out the wp folder, not the wordpress folder, correct?

garrettroyce

Community Support
Community Support
Reaction score
Make a backup of everything. Then, open the backup on your computer and make sure it is 100%. Double check. Then delete everything except the config files; as I recall, it's just wp-config.php. All other files will be overwritten with newer versions. Save that config file somewhere handy. Extract the files to your preferred location and then remove the provided wp-config.php and replace it with your wp-config.php.

If you have enough databases available, leave the old database alone and create a new database. If you do not, back up the old database (structure and data), then drop the old database. This is not in the filesystem; if you miss this step you will lose any content from your old website forever.

*Change your database password* Theoretically, the compromised website has allowed this database password to be exposed. You should change this password anywhere you have used it.

I'm going to recommend doing this via Softaculous once more. The installation process is easier, it sends you update reminders (and the update process is easier), and it integrates well with DirectAdmin.

spacresx

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
i think the intention was to remove all aspects of WordPress from the server first.
after downloading any backup files you need like databases,images or other files,
backup the files to your pc.

so you would be installing a fresh copy of wordpress to use.
this would avoid any duplicate installs of wordpress on your account.

Status
Not open for further replies.