Another SSL cert request

ampersx1

Reaction score
My SSL cer expired sometime in the middle of last week and I haven't been able to generate a valid one using the DirectAdmin console. I was able to roll a free 90 day on via zerossl.com that was valid. However, they don't offer a free wildcard SSL cert so my subdomains still aren't working.

When I try https://x12.x10hosting.com:2222/user/ssl/letsencrypt (I too am on x12) I also get a redirect and don't see a LetsEncrypt tab on my SSL options.

arathx10

Reaction score
My SSL cer expired sometime in the middle of last week and I haven't been able to generate a valid one using the DirectAdmin console. I was able to roll a free 90 day on via zerossl.com that was valid. However, they don't offer a free wildcard SSL cert so my subdomains still aren't working.

When I try https://x12.x10hosting.com:2222/user/ssl/letsencrypt (I too am on x12) I also get a redirect and don't see a LetsEncrypt tab on my SSL options.

It happens to more people, for example in this post: https://x10hosting.com/community/threads/certificado-de-seguridad.208624/

ampersx1

Reaction score
My SSL cert expired nearly two weeks ago. Since then I was able to use a free 90 day one via zerossl.com. This is ok for my main site, but I am unable to make a wildcard SSL cert (and so I have an android app that is broken as it pulls from one of my subdomains).

There are a few free wildcard cert generators out there using Letsencrypt, but in order for you to verify that you own the domain they want you to create a TXT DNS record (something like:
_acme-challenge.example.com. 300 IN TXT "gfj9Xq...Rg85nM")

However, it seems that in DirectAdmin we don't have access to edit our DNS.

Is it possible to get access either to the LetsEncrypt tab on the SSL page or access to enter a TXT DNS entry?

spacresx

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
i dont think you enter the txt dns entry for the domain.
it may mess up your x10 dns settings.

last time i did mine i saw an option to enter your own ssl certificate
which might work for you im not sure now.

but support staff should be able to help you.
although it may take some time before support can reply to your post.

ampersx1

Reaction score
Yeah so I thought when we had cPanel we could edit the DNS settings. I get confused as I have a few paid and unpaid sites with various hosters. I do remember editing DNS stuff somewhere in cPanel, but maybe it wasn't with x10hosting.

Another issue I am running into with the LetsEncrypt verification if you want to go down the file path/HTTP method, it seems that we are not allowed to put anything in the folder ".well-known/acme-challenge". When I put an index.php in ".well-known" I can see it, but when I move it to ".well-known/acme-challenge" I can't, I get a 404. Not having access to this folder also means I can't validate my site using a 3rd party LetsEncrypt verification.

spacresx

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
i also have a paid account with cpanel 11, and 1 with x10hosting.
and yes the methods are different between the 2.

you can read this post and maybe try the suggestions there,
maybe you can access the ssl settings to take care of your issue
maybe garrettroyce or other staff can help you.

Last edited:

garrettroyce

Community Support
Community Support
Reaction score
It looks like there's some issue on x12. I can't access it either. I'm forwarding this to the admin team.

ampersx1

Reaction score
Garrett Royce: Thank you very much. I can now see the LetsEncrypt tab on x12. I now get a "too many new orders recently" message but I completely understand why that is happening, and I am happy to be patient.

Thanks for checking the forums and alerting the admin team.

ampersx1

Reaction score
FYI. I tried to roll a new SSL about 25 mins after I got the first error message saying "too many new orders" and now it all worked! Not sure if some timezone/date changed rolled over on the servers (I'm in Oz) which meant it was really easy for me.

Thanks again for fixing all this for us.