$30 Windows 7 College Students Only.

Derek

Community Support Force
Community Support
Reaction score
I found this on slickdeals. If you are a college student with a .edu email you can get cheap windows 7 home and pro.

Just so everyone knows, the Digital River downloads are FULL RETAIL copies, NOT simply upgrades!! You can use these on virgin HDDs!! [after creating an ISO DVD : use imageburn] I have verified this thru multiple installs of 32 and 64 BIT versions!!

PLEASE READ THIS WIKI! MANY QUESTIONS ARE ANSWERED HERE.

TWO ways to obtain this software.....

1. Call Microsoft's Store directly at 1.877.696.7786 which gets you a mailed DVD for $34.99 + local tax. Update: Shipping may have increased from $4.99 to a minimum of $14.99. YMMV. User reports found here. Err...maybe no price increase after all - be careful what you're ordering.

(Home and Pro available) (IT IS in a retail box) -Offer Available until January 3rd. Home and Pro same price. 32 and 64 bit options on the separate DVDs. Do not use a Google Voice number to call from. Microsoft will not connect to Google Voice numbers.

This is the link for tracking Microsoft Store shipments by reference (order number): http://wwwapps.ups.com/WebTracking/reference. Be sure to add United States and your zip code.

2. Ultimate Steal $29 for windows 7 pro through Digital River. http://windows7.digitalriver.com/store/mswpus/en_US/DisplayHomePage
    There is currently an issue Microsoft is trying to fix with downloaded files not setting up correctly in large amount of cases. They are working on the fix, but as of right now, since the download is NOT a .ISO file, it can not be easily worked around. This only affects whos downloading the OS, not those waiting to receive the DVD containing the OS.

You MUST be a student to take advantage of this offer. This is proved by means of a valid .edu email address. There are certain schools that do not have a .edu domain, but have registered properly with digital river and Microsoft. The details of this is covered on the deal's website. You may also call Microsoft at the above number if you're not sure about your school's email.

You can choose win 7 Professional from Digital River and Microsoft store for the same price (SEE Attached below "Pro.png")

• Click where it says "Need to join your school's network domain? Click here" after you enter you are verified, and you get to the order page] -OR- Use this direct link
    • The 32bit or 64bit option pertains to the download only.
    • DVD Versions should contain both 32 and 64bit options on the same disc! Microsoft told me when ordering that the DVD contains BOTH Versions.

Last edited:

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
Siounds great. Too bad I'm not in College and I missed all of the other deals with the pre-orders, so I might be paying full price (I'll probably buy a multi-licence though). The Internet downloads are still a bit flaky and it's due to something on Digital River's end as TCP is very resilient against errors but they are working to fix that. Also, if your processor and hardware support 64-bit, get 64-bit unless you have a need to run 32-bit (such as for running older 16-bit apps).

Danielx386

Reaction score
Yeah sound cool, but I'm in Australis :( OH well, at lease I got TechNet, and I don't care if I pay the full price for it.

Derek

Community Support Force
Community Support
Reaction score
There are actually methods of getting this without being in college.

Bryon

I Fix Things
Reaction score
I get windows 7 ultimate free from school! :D

natrobius

Reaction score
I got Windows 7 Ultimate Signature Edition for hosting a Windows 7 launch party, but my company will also be getting it free for signing up with Microsoft's BizSpark program. If any of you are running a home business, you should google for BizSpark. MSDN Premium included free.

Gouri

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
Very nice info.

I got Windows 7 Professional edition free through ELMS program. :)

Uari.

Reaction score
Thanks! I finally can upgrade. Thank goodness I cam across this when I went on google

tridge

Reaction score
I've heard that this was a smooth process and well worth the $30. I myself have a full retail version (House Party), but I still might do this for my laptop.