300+ Credits If you can solve this...

online87

Reaction score
Hi.

I've just started getting this website to work. Well, when I say work...

There's a lot wrong with it, so I don't need anyone to tell me that, but I could really use some help with the following:

• The tabbed menu:- For those of you who don't know, the tabs call the info from external pages (with the exception of the Home tab) via a little bit of Ajax magic. Now, the tabs work just fine, but I need something done with their appearance. I want the tabs to sort of tie-in with the header of the page generated below it. I need the colours to match, kinda.
  • Three columns:- I really need this site to have three columns, but I've seen enough <td></td><tr></tr> tags to last me a lifetime, and I still don't know how to use them! If you think you could fit a right sidebar in to match the left one... then I love you, tbh.
  • A logo:- This is definitely asking too much but I need a stylish logo to go in place of the title, top-left of site.
  • Breadcrumbs:- I've no problem getting breadcrumbs to work, but finding somewhere decent to place them is my problem.
  • Colour Scheme:- If you think you can re-colour my whole site to make it look more high-impact, that'd be AWESOME.
I'm not asking for someone who can do ALL of the above, but if you can do SOMETHING out of the list above, please please PLEASE post below.

(even if you wanna just tell me how it's done, please post below... in that case HERE is my whole public_html directory. Well, only the bits I need fiddling with, anyway)

Last edited:

VPmase

Reaction score
I'll try to help you fix your problems but I can't guarantee anything....

Meh, not really much I could do. Your template doesn't work well with me.

I suggest you edit to this css though:

Code:
.shadetabs{
padding: 3px 0px 3px 3px;
margin-top:1px;
margin-bottom:0px;
position:absolute;
//... Add the rest here.
}

Last edited:

online87

Reaction score
Thanks, I'll have a go.

I don't like the template either. I'm used to nicely laid out index pages with lots of beef in the CSS file, but this template was so light on CSS that I've had to pretty much style it in-page. (I didn't make the template, I got permission to edit it)

Plus I'm too sloppy to tidy it up. I may get a new template from OSWD and just modify it so that I can put my Ajax tabs in.

Sohail

Reaction score
I could do a logo but will i get the full 300 credits for it as i am really good on Photoshop and i think 300 would be worth it. PM me for more info and you will need to give me details about what you want the logo to say, look like, the colours, size etc...

Mooseman

Reaction score
I'll try to help you fix your problems but I can't guarantee anything....

Meh, not really much I could do. Your template doesn't work well with me.

I suggest you edit to this css though:

Code:
.shadetabs{
padding: 3px 0px 3px 3px;
margin-top:1px;
margin-bottom:0px;
position:absolute;
//... Add the rest here.
}

Just a small note, when you use the value '0' in CSS/HTML style, you must drop the px
Eg:
margin-bottom:0;
Edit:
3 columns, see a quick tutorial HERE

Feel free to ask questions ;)

Your tabbed menu :
<ul id="pagetabs" class="shadetabs">
<li><a href="" class="selected" rel="#default">Home</a></li>
<li><a href="/businesses/free-businesses.html" rel="pagecontainer">Free Businesses</a></li>
<li><a href="external2.htm" rel="countrycontainer">Tab 2</a></li>
<li><a href="external3.htm" rel="countrycontainer">Tab 3</a></li>

<li><a href="external4.htm" rel="#iframe">Tab 4</a></li>
</ul><br />
<div id="pagecontainer" style= "width:728px; "><div style= "border: solid #AAAAAA; 1px">

Notice the <br/> in bold, take that away

I also note that you use tables in your design. Tables were made to display tabular data, so I suggest you do tableless front page for starters. Ref the link above to a 3-column CSS tablefree layout ;)

body {font-family:arial;font-size:12px;cursor:default;color:AAAAAA}
td {font-family:arial;font-size:12px;cursor:default;color:AAAAAAA}
a {color:FFBA27;text-decoration:none;font-size:12px}
a:hover {color:FFBA27;text-decoration:underline}
input {border-width:1;font-family:arial;font-size:12px;padding:0px;height:21px;border-color:CCCCCC;border-style:solid;background-color:F9F9F9;color:999999}

h6 {text-align: right}

twat {font-family:arial;font-size:12px;cursor:default;color:AAAAAA;text-align:right;}

These are the first 9 lines in your CSS.
You have 9 errors.
Change it to this :
body {font-family:arial;font-size:12px;cursor:default;color:#AAAAAA}
td {font-family:arial;font-size:12px;cursor:default;color:#AAAAAA}
a {color:#FFBA27;text-decoration:none;font-size:12px}
a:hover {color:#FFBA27;text-decoration:underline}
input {border-width:1px;font-family:arial;font-size:12px;padding:0;height:21px;border-color:#CCCCCC;border-style:solid;background-color:#F9F9F9;color:#999999}

h6 {text-align: right}

twat {font-family:arial;font-size:12px;cursor:default;color:#AAAAAA;text-align:right;}

Colors always start with #

#nav, #nav ul {
float: center;
width: 36em;
list-style: none;
line-height: 1;
background: white;
font-weight: bold;
padding: 0;
border: solid #eda;
border-width: 1px 0;
margin: 0 0 1em 0;
}
There is no such thing as float:center
Only left or right are valid values
Use text-align:center if you want it centered

Last edited:

online87

Reaction score
Lol.... a lot of errors.... oh well, the first 9 lines of CSS I didn't write :D (they came with the template).

Thanks for the help I really appreciate it. The tutorial you linked to is good coz now I can modify some of my favourite 2 column layouts into nice 3 columned ones!

I'll give you some credits just as soon as I've paid the dude above for the logo he's making me.

Thanks again! :D

Sohail

Reaction score
Your logo is almost done by the way... I'll post it here as soon as i'm done with the final touch ups. And you don't have 300 credits yet lol but your just one post away from it.

Last edited:

online87

Reaction score
*posting to get credits*

Lol. Thanks very much for the logos, I have them now :)