403 Forbidden using certain features

Discussion in 'Free Hosting' started by Jessica.C, Jan 9, 2015.

1. Jessica.C

Jessica.C Member Prime Account

I have a knowledge base mod installed on my site, and up until today I have had no issues with adding or editing articles.......but now, all of the sudden, I cannot do either. I have already posted in the mod's support topic on the phpBB community site in case it is the modification itself.

Anyways, when I try editing or adding a new article, I get this error message:
    Forbidden
    You don't have permission to access /phpBB3/kb.php on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

I checked the file permission and it's at 744...

I am also getting it on certain pages on another site that does not have this mod. So it has to be x10, right?

Last edited: Jan 9, 2015
  2. Jessica.C

Still getting this error. What is going on?

3. leafypiggy

leafypiggy Manager of Pens and Office Supplies Staff Member

What is the content of the KB article you are trying to post?

I'm seeing that it is being blocked by mod_security due to a potential XSS (cross site-scriting) attack.

4. Jessica.C

It's just a little snippet (not created by me; I have linked to the topic by the person who did create it)
    It's not only happening when posting new articles though. I get it when EDITING them too - and the edits I'm trying to submit are very minor. I also get them on another site I own (subdomain of my main site). That site uses phpBB 3.1.2, and I have installed an extension called "Upload extensions". One of its features is that I can directly upload an extension that has been validated (there is a dropdown). However, when I choose one, then press "Upload". I get the 403 error - which is nearly identical to the error I posted in my first post, except it says "You don't have permission to access /ascraeus/adm/index.php on this server."

EDIT: Okay I think you may be right...I tried adding a nonsense article that just had some random nonsense typed into it and it submitted. Dang :(

5. Jessica.C

Can someone turn off mod_security on my account? It seems like this is the reason I'm getting the error all of the sudden

6. Ohso

Ohso Member Prime Account

I thought Prime Accounts could turn mod_security off?

also really, I'm asking because I would like to know if it's possible to disable it with prime account.

7. bdistler

bdistler Well-Known Member Prime Account

when you upgrade a basic free-hosting account to "Prime" it is on the same free-hosting server (same place as it was)
    YOU can not turn mod_security off - on any free-hosting server

• Informative Informative x 1