403 Forbidden

KeybladeSephi

Reaction score
Hello; I recently deleted a lot of files that I thought I didn't need to save room on my disk. However, I might have deleted an essential file (or group of files) that gives me, or anyone else, the permission to access my site. When you go to my site, the following error appears:

Code:
[B]Forbidden[/B]

You don't have permission to access /index.html on this server.
 Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Apache/2.2.8 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.2.8 OpenSSL/0.9.8b mod_mono/1.2.6 mod_auth_passthrough/2.1 mod_bwlimited/1.4 FrontPage/5.0.2.2635 Server at keybladesephi.exofire.net Port 80
How do I fix this? If I did delete files that I needed, is there any way to get them back (and are the files that I presumably deleted different for every user?)? Thanks :happysad:

marshian

Reaction score
You should check your .htaccess documents, and maybe you deleted the index file, and have index listening off? (If this is the case, uploading an index file solves the problem.)

KeybladeSephi

Reaction score
Where are the .htaccess documents located? If they're in Access-logs, nothing's there. I have an index page and my entire site in my cPanel; I just can't view my page online because of the 403 error.

Daniel S

Reaction score
The .htaccess file is located in your public_html folder. Although I don’t think this is the problem. Try going to cpanel and scroll down and click on the Front Page Extensions link and click either install or reinstall extension for your main domain.

tnl2k7

Banned
Reaction score
Delete any robots.txt or .htaccess files from your /public_html folder. To do this from cPanel, when you click File Manager, be sure to check the box that says 'Show hidden files (dotfiles)'; otherwise .htaccess files won't be visible.

-Luke.

KeybladeSephi

Reaction score
The pop up box isn't displayed when I click on File Manager, but I can still see hidden files in the Legacy File Manager. I checked in there, and I don't have the .htaccess files. I deleted robots.txt a long time ago, too. I still have the error and nothing's changed.