A Web Desktop...

dragoneye_xp

Reaction score
I recently made my website into sort of an online desktop.

Is there anything I can add or take from it to make it look (or behave better) or are there any bugs? (I'm sure there are 'cause I know I've been "coding dirty" a few times, writing enough just to get it to work, fixing problems later.)

Things I'm already planning to add:
  1. A prefrence panel where you can change your background, etc, like on a real desktop.
  2. Integerated Login. All of your settings will be saved in your name and then you can log on later and keep messing with stuff.
  3. Extensions and Add-ons (web apps).
  4. Personal favorites "folder"
  5. A task bar that acts like the one in Windows. You may be able to "minimize windows" to the taskbar.
  6. Shutdown emulator (just for fun) :dunno: :hahano:

Spartan Erik

Retired
Reaction score
wow thats an awesome concept, making a desktop a website.. very nice!
i wish i was taht creative haha

moose

Reaction score
I've actually tried making once before and if I can find the script I could show you some of it.

But yeah, the integrated login should be a must. Just the preference panel would hog up so much space and bandwidth. Unless you have a lot of space and bandwidth you shouldn't do it.

Once you get a integrated login, you should have desktop shortcuts to the forum, or important links, and a integrated IM app may be cool. Haha, I tried, but that was WAAAY too much work for me.

Good luck with this :)

dragoneye_xp

Reaction score
I want to use real windows instead of "table windows" on there, and I know I could use window.open in JavaScript for this, but the problem is pop-up blockers.

I want it to pop-up windows like the Chat, Announcments, Visitors, and the alert window that comes up when you get a private message from someone, automatically, but everytime I've tried to make windows come up automatically with window.open() in JavaScript, it doesn't work most of the time because of pop-up blockers.

Assuming that a users either dosn't know how to or isn't allowed to turn the blocker off, this is a problem, so is there another way to make windows pop up besides window.open()?

B

Brandon

Contact an Ad Company, even with a popup blocker some ads get in. lol

dragoneye_xp

Reaction score
I got it figured out now.
I just went ahead and used window.open(). So far it works. Maybe I wasn't using it right last time.
I'm working on the integrated login now.

On my computer, I got the login screen and the signup pages done. Now I gotta figure out the main desktop and work out how to let users be able to customize it and add stuff to it and change colors/images, etc.

I'm thinking about making plug-ins that people can "install" on their virtual desktop to do stuff and making it easy for other people to write their own plug-ins.

Any more ideas? I can use all the help there is....

BTW, I like the new look of X10. It looks very "fly" :p.

Last edited:

dragoneye_xp

Reaction score
Integrated login has been added. A beta is already uploaded at the site, but only the Guest account works right now until I get all the multi-user support, plug-ins, and "Desktop Preferences" added.
More stuff has been fixed.

dragoneye_xp

Reaction score
Plug-in Manager has now been added. (Yay!) More plug-ins will be written soon, including the Theme Manager, so you can change the interface around a bit, and some plug-in apps.

Also, multi-user support has been added. (Another "Yay!") Anyone who wants their own web desktop can now go and sign up for one.

Chris S

Retired
Reaction score
so I tried to register 2 times and both times it said that the username was taken, but they are really random

demosthenes705 and saxattack2008

Jordan K

[B]tags dont work:([/B]
Reaction score
Other than the fact that you have a typo on the page that it takes you to when you click the link in your comment "oradd" is noticeable, makes it look a little sloppy.

Anyways, I extremely like your idea.

And take the picture out of your sig. or make it smaller by like 10x because it's too big.

Last edited:

cyberxzt

Zine Tech
Reaction score
I made a web desktop once. A couple things i had on it tho is that you can log into it, and instead of windows popping up i used this script that made the windows go into the webpage. I also had a right click menu and was in the proccess of making a toolbar like the windows one but i abandonded the project because it took too long. But i like yours. If i find my old one ill give you the scripts.

Dub_Dude

Reaction score
demosthenes705 said:
so I tried to register 2 times and both times it said that the username was taken, but they are really random

demosthenes705 and saxattack2008

yea, having the same problem, tried a bunch of different usernames with no luck
:doh:

dragoneye_xp

Reaction score
OK:
  • I fixed the sign-up page. It should work now.
  • The type-o has been corrected :p
  • And I've made a Theme Manager plug-in. If you know a bit of CSS, then you can design your desktop pretty well. More CSS selectors will be added to the site to give people more options later.
Tell me if there are any more bugs (and suggestions are welcome!).

Jordan K

Reaction score
Desktop Help said:
but it should pretty decently.
Tell me if you like it and especially if you find bugs!

On your desktop help window it should be:

but it should pretty decent.
Tell me if you like it and especially if you find any bugs!

You should add a page with a desktop-like interface. Where you can move icons, etc... around and add new ones.

Last edited:

dragoneye_xp

Reaction score
cyberxzt said:
I made a web desktop once. A couple things i had on it tho is that you can log into it, and instead of windows popping up i used this script that made the windows go into the webpage. I also had a right click menu and was in the proccess of making a toolbar like the windows one but i abandonded the project because it took too long. But i like yours. If i find my old one ill give you the scripts.

Speaking of the windows, how would I go about making window that come up in the webpage that act like real windows and can be moved, closed (actually destroyed and not just hidden), and resized (and maybe even minimized or rolled-up)?

I had some windows like that on the first rendition of my desktop but they weren't very good.

Last edited:

Jordan K

Reaction score
dragoneye_xp said:
Speaking of the windows, how would I go about making window that come up in the webpage that act like real windows and can be moved, closed (actually destroyed and not just hidden), and resized (and maybe even minimized or rolled-up)?

I had some windows like that on the first rendition of my desktop but they weren't very good.

Learn some Javascript and SQL and you're good 2 go. ;)

dragoneye_xp

Reaction score
Nevermind, I figured it out. I've gotten windows to do almost everything I want them to do except for resizea and minimize (but it does roll-up).
I haven't rewritten the code on the desktop, yet, so the pop-up windows will remain for now until I finish.

Jordan K

Reaction score
Lol, I must ask... Where did you get the idea for a site like this, it's not everyday you see an online desktop.

dragoneye_xp

Reaction score
New Updates:

• No more pop-up windows! The new windows can still be minimized, resized, etc. like normal ones.
  • A task bar has been created. It has some user actions like shutdown, logoff, and restart, a Focus Window menu so that you can switch between many windows, and a clock. TO BE ADDED: Tray icons.
  • You can "shutdown" and "restart" now.
  • There's a spash screen. It checks to make sure that everything you need to use the desktop is enabled. If not, it gives you a...
  • Blue Screen of Death, where major errors are displayed.
  • BugBuster. Will soon be able to let you report bugs (only displays them in the status now).
  • Different chat (it's hosted by someone else). The old one will be re-written and integrated with the desktop.
  • Some more bugs fixed.
  • Better-looking interface.
Soon to come:
  • Customisable sounds for actions like start-up, window open/close, etc.
  • More chat apps.
  • New Mini-browser app with built-in proxy.
  • Media Player.
  • TypeText 1.0 so that you can edit and save documents.
  • A forum.

moose

Reaction score
Very nicely done.

Great job. I'm impressed by your succession.