A Web Desktop...

Chris S

Retired
Reaction score
im very impressed.

problem, i try to install the theme changer plug-in but i can because my account is like guest or public, how do i change my account?

dragoneye_xp

Reaction score
The problem has to do with cookies, XSS, and the dynamic windows.

I should have it working in at least a day or two.

Last edited:

dragoneye_xp

Reaction score
dharmil said:
looks great and i lke the desktop concept
Thanks.

I'm planning on using AJAX (sure, the stuff you clean the floor with -- J/K) on the whole desktop now so that no IFRAMEs are used. That will fix a lot of problems like the one with plug-ins, etc.

Oh, and I got a question:

In JavaScript, how do you pass a function to another function with the same name?
I want to make a interceptor that asks you whether a user wants to execute code like "document.write()" and "window.open()", etc, but when I try:

Code:
function document.write(data){
  test=confirm("A script is trying to inject code into the web page:\n"+data+"\nIs it okay to execute this?";
  if(test==false) return false;
  else return true;
}

or tell it to document.write(data) if test==true, then it doesen't do anything or it errors.

The only thing I can do is to stop the native code from running at all, but that's about it.

Last edited:

dragoneye_xp

Reaction score
:dancingna :eek:wneddanc
I'm finally finished!
This time, everything works (so far), even the plug-in and theme managers.

Almost everything is also now using AJAX technology so most of the applications - the chat, your favorites, the Navigator, etc. are fully dynamic and there's no refreshing (unless you change your theme or add/remove plug-ins).

I solved the cookie problem using the BugBuster, but I never read the log all the way through until I was done with everything. (How stupid of me!) Adding a simple www. could of fixed everything without all the trouble.

Oh, well. At least everything works and looks better.

Now sijnce I don't really have anything else to work on except for finishing up the chat, which is really basic right now, I can start making more plug-ins... any ideas?

Last edited:

dragoneye_xp

Reaction score
After a really long time of no activity (I got tired of messing with the site and then suddenly got the idea to try to get Mac OS X working on my PC and ended up having to formatting my hard drive [again!!!]), I am now working on the site again -- or at least I will be as soon as I make sure I got all my other stuff set up and installed.

The desktop concept is nice, but I don't feel like maintaining it anymore, and I want my site to be able to work on Safari and Links [on my Telnet-enabled TI calculator :cool: ] again, so I'm going to start downgrading it.

I won't take off everything, but I'm probably going to stop using AJAX. It (might) make things go a bit faster if you're on dial-up 'cause you won't have to wait for the JavaScript libraries to download everytine a page loads (and that'll definantly save the batteries in my TI, too :p )

Last edited:

dragoneye_xp

Reaction score
I finished downgrading the Lair.
It's not as intersting now, but at least it now works on Safari, and even Links (with only a few problems).

dragoneye_xp

Reaction score
Updates and Stuff

• There are new places to chat at. You can make your own rooms in the new ones. They are all remotely hosted and you need Java to use them. If you don't have Java, there's always the Mini-Chat...
  • Descriptions have been added to all those once vauge links, especially those in the Visitor Links (which I just cleaned out).
  • Remote links open in the Mini-Browser. Now, you can go back and forward and all that basic stuff browsers do (except for Refresh [due to XSS permissions]) when you're visiting another site from mine.
  • You can now upload stuff to the Basement (until now, you could only upload stuff to its subfolders).
That's all I can come up with for now. If someone has any more ideas of things I can add, those are always welcome.

dragoneye_xp

Reaction score
The Pyro XP Web OS Idea

EDIT: Yay! I got a new account! (The acct manager didn't know why the old one got terminated; he said to just create a new one and if it gets terminated, then oh well.)

The Pyro XP Web OS Idea

I've decided I'm going to bring back the web desktop concept, but make it like, a million million times better. If I'm going to go through the trouble of making an online desktop, why not make an entire web OS made of HTML, JavaScript, and PHP? Well, that's what I'm about to try to do, and to add some more personal challenge, try to complete most of it complete before school starts back.

Instead of making it one or two big ol' files like my old desktop was, it'll be comprised of many libraries and components (like Linux is), so that way, it'll be a little easier to debug, and the componenets will be interchangable so that you can create your own and replace mine with yours.

It will "boot" to a virtual terminal where you can issue commands (again, like Linux :)P)) and do all that good command-line stuff, and then I'll make a desktop environment you can execute and set up to load automatically when you log in.

I'll try to come up with a manager so you can install, update, and remove applications and system components, make a few applications, and add in whatever else I (or you) can think of -- maybe even an anti-virus :)P)!

And as for storage, I'll see if I can come up with a virtual drive system, so you can create virtual "disks" to store things on.

Now, the only problem with this idea is X10's strict TOS. I want to be able to give users as much freedom as possible so it's like a real OS, but the admins might not like this and tell me to take it down (or simply terminate it again) if I'm able to get a new account. (Now, if only I the money to buy a dedicated server...)

Anyway, if anyone wants to help with this or has any idea, be my guest, because this seems easy IMO - but I'll be saying to opposite once I start trying to put it together...

Last edited:

dragoneye_xp

Reaction score
The site's back again, but I had to move hosts.
The site is still at http://deye.blogsite.org (it just points to a different link now).

I've gotten started on Pyro OS - the console. It won't be uploaded, though, until it's completed.

dragoneye_xp

Reaction score
Pyros XP - Current Progress

Keeping it short, simple, and to the point:
Still working on the console. Added a few basic commands like info, login/out, clear, echo, etc, and now ls (buggy). A screenshot is attached.
pyrosprogress.JPG

Last edited:

jensen

Reaction score
Re: Pyros XP - Current Progress

The link you gave doesn't look a bit like the screen shot above. Must have misunderstood where the link takes me to. The Pyro's XP concept is interesting. Google is offering something similar in the works. They just acquired writely.com which allows people to edit documents online. Talk about overtaking Microsoft Office :)

d'_'b

Mike-lane

Complete IDIOT
Reaction score
my mate did one in flash with php loaded files handing data storage.

Last edited:
M

minievan

Wether this has been posted or not.. http://osx.portraitofakite.com/ then click
If you would still like to enter, please click HERE.
I love it.. could be an inspiration..:

EDIT:
Now, the only problem with this whole idea is that the guys hosting my web site - X10hosting - have their strict TOS [terms of service]. I want to be able to give Pyro OS users lots of freedom so they can personalize their Pyro OS setups as much as they want - except NO MP3s or stuff like that (because of the TOS), but the admins might not like this and the site might get terminated again. Now, if only I the money to buy a dedicated server, then I'd let y'all guys do whatever the heck you want (but nothin' illegal!).
I Could hook you up if you want..

Last edited by a moderator:

Lemonwonder

Reaction score
I made 1 of those for psp, saved onto memory stick and load it in internet browser, it looks like windows xp... its neat

dragoneye_xp

Reaction score
minievan said:
Wether this has been posted or not.. http://osx.portraitofakite.com/ then click
I love it.. could be an inspiration..:
Your site is awesome! I couldn't even tell that that was a web app 'cause it looked so real - like Remote Desktop or something. Keep up the good work on that - you could actually make that into a full-blown web OS!

Speaking of that, I found one called YouOS. This one is is pretty good. It even has a 'package manager' and you can already develop applications for it. https://www.youos.com/

minievan said:
I Could hook you up if you want...
I'll wait until I've gotten most of my web OS complete first.
I'm at a new host now (due to account problems) so I think I can host most of it there.

: Updates :
STILL working on the console (when will I ever get that thing finished!!!??? :rant2:) Haven't has as much time to work on it anymore.

More bugs fixed:
$ls
Filename Size Type
../
./
$mkdir test
Directory test has been created.
$mkdir ../test
You may only create directories in the current folder and in its subdirectories (you may not use '../' to make folders in lower directories).
$rm ../guest
../users/guest/../guest
This would delete your user folder. If you're trying to terminate your account, use the rmuser command instead.
$rm ../root
../users/guest/../root
Access is denied to ../root
Still trying to figure out the how to make console programs that WON'T terminate back to the shell until you tell them to exit.

Last edited:

dragoneye_xp

Reaction score
Project closed.

The Web Desktop project has come back to a close. I've been spending so much time trying to get my system set up that I don't even want to work on it anymore! :eek4:

But hopefully somone else can successfully get one going before Google does - lol