Add Elgg to Softaculous

detectivecrookjp27

Reaction score
Add Elgg to Softaculous, I keep getting some action_Handler.php can not be found, put Elgg in the auto installer! COME ON PEOPLE! We could really use it. :frown:

Skizzerz

Contributors
Staff member
Contributors
Reaction score
Hello,

Our auto-installers are third party services and we have very limited control over which scripts are included (in that we can make it so that you cannot install one of the scripts it ships with, but we cannot add scripts to it).

detectivecrookjp27

Reaction score
Hello,

Our auto-installers are third party services and we have very limited control over which scripts are included (in that we can make it so that you cannot install one of the scripts it ships with, but we cannot add scripts to it).

Can someone at least help me install Elgg? I keep getting something about action_handler.php not found, and it's so very frustrating, wish someone would just do it for me. :mad:

Like an auto-installer, or a person. xD

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
Can someone at least help me install Elgg? I keep getting something about action_handler.php not found, and it's so very frustrating, wish someone would just do it for me. :mad:

Like an auto-installer, or a person. xD

That is a .htaccess file issue. Elgg includes a .htaccess file with pre-determined settings. You need to remove the comment from the "RewriteBase / " entry if Elgg is installed right in your public_html folder for the 404 errors to disappear. You can edit the .htaccess file from inside of cPanel using the Code Editor (Make sure you have enabled the viewing of hidden files in the File Manager prompt!) or by downloading the file, opening it in a text editor, saving it and re-uploading it to the server.

I installed both the latest Stable and the Beta of Elgg onto Starka just now to be sure this worked. Both completed without issues once I performed the .htaccess change. The beta informs you of this issue before the problem occurs, which is why it isn't clear to you at the moment.

Hope this helps :)

To help you out further, here is what you're looking for in your .htaccess file starting at Line 83:

Code:
<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>

RewriteEngine on

# If Elgg is in a subdirectory on your site, you might need to add a RewriteBase line
# containing the path from your site root to elgg's root. e.g. If your site is
# http://example.com/ and Elgg is in http://example.com/sites/elgg/, you might need 
#
#RewriteBase /sites/elgg/
#
# here, only without the # in front.
#
# If you're not running Elgg in a subdirectory on your site, but still getting lots
# of 404 errors beyond the front page, you could instead try:
#
#RewriteBase /

Remove the # in front of ReWriteBase. If Elgg is installed inside of a folder, such as it would be located in /home/yourcPanelUsername/public_html/elgg , you remove the comment and change the RewriteBase to "RewriteBase /elgg/ " . Hope I'm clear.

Here's proof of a working Elgg install on Starka. My actual website is hosted on another x10Hosting server not on the Free Hosting network, but I do have a test account on Starka running a super old adfree_doubleall_doubleall package which I use for such issues (meaning I get the extra databases and other perks from a few years ago, but I do not get unmetered disk or bandwidth like everyone else does, though I can change to the new unmetered package if I wish to give this up forever). It is configured to be a Private site, hence why it seems so empty.

Elgg Stable: http://seansite.x10hosting.com/elgg/
Elgg Beta: http://seansite.x10hosting.com/elggtest/

Last edited:

Livewire

Abuse Compliance Officer
Staff member
Reaction score
Elgg was disabled here a while back when we didn't allow chatboxes/shoutboxes (everyone we found using Elgg was using a chatbox/shoutbox with theirs); I've got it on my to-do list to go through the servers later and update the software and restrore the scripts that were blocked for that since we don't block chatboxes anymore.