aim or yahoo messenger

hermitobserver

Reaction score
i use them both and don't really have a favorite. aim is easier for me, but yahoo is a little more advanced. What does the rest of the world think.

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
Are you referring to services or programs? As for service, AIM has more spam, but more of my buddies use it. Yahoo's less used to my needs, but has only given me spam once. As for the programs, both such. Yahoo Instant Messenger uses a lot of memory (which isn't really a problem for me, though I hate excessive memory usage by programs that don't need 40MB+ of my RAM to do what it needs to do...) and AIM for the same reason, along with how insecure it is when those viruses spread. I stick to my Trillian program. Stays nice and low on the RAM usage, starts up and logs on almost instantly after I click the icon (when I do need to restart Trillian for updates and such), and even when all of my contacts had the AIM virus a few years ago (which I helped them clean out), I had nothing come into my computer.

LHVWB

Reaction score
I just use pidgin so that I can talk with any of my friends accross all of the different IM protocals at the same time, it doesn't take up much ram at all and there is a version for portable apps, meaning that I can carry it around on my usb key.

I tend to use MSN and Xfire though because thats where my friends are.

AdView

Reaction score
I use a all-in-on messenging client called Trillian it allows you to access MSN, Yahoo and ICQ but not aol that's okay though because I don't use AOL

Starshine

Legend Killer
Reaction score
I use a all-in-on messenging client called Trillian it allows you to access MSN, Yahoo and ICQ but not aol that's okay though because I don't use AOL

Trillian lets you connect to AIM, Yahoo, MSN, ICQ and IRC ... Which AOL were you talking about??

kkenny

Reaction score
Pidgin is probably the best multi im thing you can use for Linux, and Trillian for Windows. I prefer AIM more because AIM seems to be less restrictive on text colors / background colors, it's simpler and more secure to send files, and Yahoo isn't just that popular in the IM industry.

Smith6612

Community Support
Reaction score
I've used Pidgin on Linux before. It's just like Trillian.

componentwarehouse

Reaction score
Whats wrong with Windows Live Messenger? Nearly all my friends are on that, so thats what I use. I spose you use what everyone else you know has, otherwise there isnt much point to it.

Alex

Smith6612

Community Support
Reaction score
I have an MSN account as well. More forum people at the forums I go to seem to use MSN mainly.

eliasr

Reaction score
telephone, jejejeje.

A couple years ago i use Trillian and have accounts in yahoo, aim, msn, icq, etc. etc.

Now i only use msn messenger bacuase the most people who i talk use is.

Well, maybe i re-install trillian and re-use all my old account.

mcklovin

Reaction score
Ha I use aim, yahoo, icq, and msn so I use trillian, which covers all the bases including irc chat.

TechAsh

Retired
Reaction score
I use MSN for talking to my friends.

I also have two Skype accounts, I of which I don't use, and the other is used for X10.

I also use Chatzilla (Plugin for Firefox) for IRC.

I've never used AIM, IQC etc. because I don't know anyone who uses them (People that I would want to talk to)

TarouSensei

Reaction score
I use anything my friends use. I have Pidgin installed to allow me to chat with my Google, Yahoo, MSN, and AOL friends. I never bothered to convince most of them to switch to Google. It just wasn't really worth my time.

sonicsshadow

Reaction score
Skype and MSN, mainly because that's what all of my friends have.
There's no reason to have Aim / Yim if all my friends have MSN.

hermitobserver

Reaction score
I just tried trillian at my library and iI liked it. My computer won't accept it, though. I'm hopefully getting a new one and I know that Trillian will be the first thing I download on it. Thanks for your input guys. You really helped me decide which one to get.

jhaddon

Reaction score
Currently I use adium on the mac. Similarly to trillian it allows you to connect to a plethora of services, including; AIM, MSN, ICQ, Yahoo, Google, Myspace, Livejournal, .mac, bonjour, jabber, Novell Groupwise, and more. The majority of my friends use either AIM or ICQ, with a few MSN thrown in for good measure.