All Servers, MySQL Change

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corey

I Break Things
Staff member
Reaction score
I have just purchased another server. This server's starting out main function will be to handle only MySQL. By offloading MySQL from the free servers to a centralized server will free up a lot of CPU power on all the current servers. We decided this was the best move for now and will benefit EVERYONE.

After we get this setup we hope to also move the mail server over which will also greatly reduce the load and make it much easier for us to maintain.

This server will be online today. We haven't decided which server will go first but we will have to bring down MySQL to copy the databases over to the new server and switch the connections. There should be minimum if any work for the end user. We'll update in the news and here as we get more information.

New Server Specs:
4x2.4 Ghz
4 Gigs Memory
1x73GB 15K Raptor HDD
1x250GIG SATAII

Archkronos

Reaction score
Will I have to change the server setting in a connection script, so it doesn't use localhost?

Corey

I Break Things
Staff member
Reaction score
We are going to forward port 3306 to the new server via iptables. I would guess that it would be a few milliseconds faster if you put in the address of the server instead of iptables forwarding. We will release the connection details of the new database server when we start moving the databases over. But all scripts will continue to work.

The new server is on the same network and has an internal connection to the other servers so each request does not have to go out to the internet and come back.

-Corey

Jamesy

Reaction score
So I won't have to reinstall programs using MySQL after you move it?

Christopher

Retired
Reaction score
So I won't have to reinstall programs using MySQL after you move it?
You will not have to.

Does this include the paid servers?

Last edited:

Xemnas

Reaction score
We will release the connection details of the new database server when we start moving the databases over. But all scripts will continue to work.
Will this include the server's MySQL directories? I'm asking because I have a game I'm working on, and I want to be able to use one of my databases as a game account DB, but I need to get the location of mysql.sock to get it working (I'm using the MySQL Connector/Net Visual Studio extension), not so I can hack :)

online87

Reaction score
What sort of performance boost willl we be seeing?

Also - I sincerely hope this solves the consistently high server loads (on stoli at least, dunno bout the others).

Good job guys keep it up.

PS: YAY http on stoli :D (bit sluggish tho...)

Peace.

diabolo

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
should we back up out databases?

Corey

I Break Things
Staff member
Reaction score
We will also be upgrading to MySQL 5.0, currently we have 4.1.

I will make a backup of all the databases before we start the upgrading and moving.

cowctcat

Reaction score
your a lifesaver corey.
and tyvm for baccking up the databases,
not like i have any thing that cant be replaced in two minutes on mine
Edit:
by the way corey using your mystical powers about what time will these changes be done
:kdubbd::kdubbd::kdubbd::kdubbd::kdubbd::kdubbd::kdubbd::kdubbd:
thanks corey

Last edited:

Corey

I Break Things
Staff member
Reaction score
Can only go as fast as the server. I do not have an ETA, hopefully it will be done tonight, I have already started.

hbeaver

Reaction score
Yesterday evening I started having massive sql problems. I am not sure if it is related to this switch, but I basically can't access the database anymore with the scripts I had. Almost any query I try from my scripts gives me an error such as Unknown column 'games.GameID' in 'on clause'. However, the table and field do exist. I discoverd that if I put the field in question in single quotes I can get it to work, but it was previously working just fine. Also, it seems that only certain fields needs this. Has a configuration changed?

cblog

Reaction score
i guess this is the reason i get a "Internal Server Error". Ill check it again in a few. Thx for upgrading all the servers lately, and for free!

Corey

I Break Things
Staff member
Reaction score
All servers accept Skyy have been upgraded to MySQL 5. This could could cause a problem with some older scripts.

Status
Not open for further replies.