Apple iPad

kanno

Reaction score
It just seems like another device which is mean't to look trendy/fancy but not exactly practical.

People that buy this either want to look cool or like the fact it has an "i" in front of the name! :biggrin: :nuts:

csc2ya

Reaction score
Complete waste of time and money in my opinion. If I want to play music, i'd use my ipod. If I wanted to access the internet, i'd use my laptop, or my phone.

Personally, I think that the only poeple that will buy this will be the same fanboys that had to get the ipod touch the minute it was released. (Before anyone points out what I wrote above...I did get mine a few days after it was released, but I didn't care when I got it to be honest.)

I also bought it as I like the design and the features of it....not because it has a i in the front of it's name.

risket

Reaction score
Complete waste of time and money in my opinion. If I want to play music, i'd use my ipod. If I wanted to access the internet, i'd use my laptop, or my phone.

Personally, I think that the only poeple that will buy this will be the same fanboys that had to get the ipod touch the minute it was released. (Before anyone points out what I wrote above...I did get mine a few days after it was released, but I didn't care when I got it to be honest.)

I also bought it as I like the design and the features of it....not because it has a i in the front of it's name.

I absolutely agree with that.

It looks like it's trying to be a "cooler" alternative to using a computer but it's nothing more than a fancy media player which, by the way, can't even hold that much media. I'm all for flash memory over hard drives but the pricing for flash memory in Apple products is ridiculous right now. You're paying $200 extra for only 32gb of space!? Just remove the internal memory and give it an SD card slot because you can get a 32gb SDHC card for just under $100 right now (and prices are always dropping with flash memory).

That's one of the biggest things that has gotten me to dislike Apple products; the lack of external memory (and removable battery). They want to control everything so much that they tell you how much memory you can have. Give me a device with just enough memory to hold the operating system and an external memory card slot so I can decide how much space I need for my files and I'm happy.

lemon-tree

x10 Minion
Community Support
Reaction score
Does that not apply to the iPad then or is everyone who buys one just a 'fanboy'?
I'm not saying the iPad is a brilliant device and I agree with many of the shortcomings highlighted above, but the only reason people are disappointed by it is because of the mainly over-the-top expectations they themselves created. I wasn't surprised at all when the iPad was released, it's just Apple being Apple. Any tablet device introduced is only really going to appeal to a niche market, much like the MacBook Air. Similarly to the MacBook Air, if you buy it expecting to use it like a full computer, you clearly haven't done your research. However, that said, I agree that I cannot yet see a position in the market where an iPod or Laptop wouldn't suffice just as well, if not better.
  • As a media player: an iPod or any iPod equivalent will be considerably more practical while still containing equivalent features. Also, the aspect ratio of the screen is far from optimal.
  • As an E-reader: LCD is really not very ergonomic for extended reading, not to mention the battery life.
  • As a Web-browser: It will be nicer than the iPhone and almost all other smart phones. The lack of Flash in the iPad wouldn't bother me one bit, I have flash turned off normally anyway. However, I don't see how it would be any easier than just pulling out a laptop.
Perhaps, like the iPhone did with mobile applications, it will be able to create a market for itself. We also learn from the first-gen iPhone and iPod touches that the second generation brings with it huge improvements.
I personally won't be purchasing one, but that doesn't mean there wont be any valid reason for people to have one besides being a 'fanboy'. I haven't yet written it off as a failed product; how can we until it is released to the market? Technically, a failed product would be one that even the 'fanboys' wouldn't buy, and not even the Apple TV is quite that low - but it isn't far off.
When the product is released, then I would pass a proper judgement. I don't know whether I would be in your 'fanboy' class (I do have a MacBook Pro and a iPod), but I would certainly prefer an iPad over a netbook, just not over much else.

jtwhite

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
This is the most pointless thing ever.