Best DVD player for OpenSuse

ichwar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I've encountered my first major problem with linux. I can't play DVDs. I run OpenSuse 11.0. My disk drive is capable of both reading and writing DVDs as I have done them both lots of times in Windows, I have burned a DVD with this this same installation of OpenSuse, so I know my hardware is all fine. My problem is the DVD reading software. The default video player that is installed is Totem, but that can't find the right codecs to play anything, it just pops up an errror message about not any codecs available.

So, to get to the point, could anyone recommend some Free DVD players that are available for linux? I've heard of VLC, Xine, Real Player, are these any good? Can someone recommend a better one?

Thanks in advance!:cool:

xPlozion

Reaction score
xine and real player arent that good. i use vlc when mplayer doesn't recognize video formats. do you have css installed to be able to play protected dvds? i remember having some minor issues on archlinux if they werent installed, but that wasn't w/ vlc or mplayer.

so, you would want to try vlc and mplayer (both are exceptional programs).

kkenny

Reaction score
I suggest VLC, it's the only DVD player I actually got to work on openSUSE if I recall.

ichwar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
xine and real player arent that good. i use vlc when mplayer doesn't recognize video formats. do you have css installed to be able to play protected dvds? i remember having some minor issues on archlinux if they werent installed, but that wasn't w/ vlc or mplayer.

so, you would want to try vlc and mplayer (both are exceptional programs).

No, I don't believe I have css installed, but I'm not trying to play a protected DVD.

Thanks, I will try VLC!

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
VideoLAN is great. On my older PCs that don't have DVD decoding software/hardware on them, it has allowed me to play any DVD that I've put in them.

ichwar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
I definately will try VLC. But I'm really busy right now with school. I'll let you know how it works out though, once I install it.

ichwar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Alright, I tried VLC, I did get it to play the video, but NO SOUND. System sound works fine, because I then installed Mplayer, and got video and sound, but NO dvd menus, lol.
So the sound problem seems to be with vlc and not with the system.

Any suggestions?

xPlozion

Reaction score
try the settings in vlc. also, linux's sound system is different that windows. in the past, you couldn't have more than one program running sound. i think it's been fixed though within the kernel (prob the same way freebsd has their sound setup) or the alsa drivers changed to support it by default.

remember, what i say is based off of what i experienced w/ arch linux, and could differ from yours ;)

ichwar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
try the settings in vlc. also, linux's sound system is different that windows. in the past, you couldn't have more than one program running sound. i think it's been fixed though within the kernel (prob the same way freebsd has their sound setup) or the alsa drivers changed to support it by default.

remember, what i say is based off of what i experienced w/ arch linux, and could differ from yours ;)

Yes, I tried playing around with the sound settings in VLC. Everything "looked" fine, but I don't really know what fine is. lol

I guess mplayer will work alright for now though. In the event that I switch from open suse to some other os soon, it won't even matter anyways, cause I hardly ever have time for dvds anymore.