Bing

garrettroyce

Community Support
Community Support
Reaction score
I guess Live search and MSN weren't enough? :p

Well, it looks cool. I'd like to try it.

Twinkie

Banned
Reaction score
Wow, that looks great. If Microsoft pulls it off, it would be a great research tool. It would never replace Google for simple searches, and I bet they made it a point not to try. This is one of the first non-cloned ideas Microsoft has ever offered. Its very hard to organize search results that wouldn't obstruct simple tasks, like searching for something your not sure what category it would be placed under. Lets see what happens.

garrettroyce

Community Support
Community Support
Reaction score
I'm surprised they didn't launch this under the Windows Live banner along with everything else they've done recently. They seem to like using their name as much as possible in their products' names. Wonder where they came up with "bing"

Twinkie

Banned
Reaction score
Probably they wanted people to go WTF when they heard it, and be interested to know what could possibly be called bing. I find the name annoying.

garrettroyce

Community Support
Community Support
Reaction score
Yeah it is annoying. I thought it was going to be "bing, I had a great idea" or "I love Bing Crosby" or "Who likes bing cherries?" Search engine never crossed my mind lol

Kayos

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
It sounds pretty neat. Not sure it would be a Google replacement but it looks like it'll be a good tool for certain things that Google just can't do.

And boy that video is kinda cheesy in some parts..

ichwar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Yeah it is annoying. I thought it was going to be "Who likes bing cherries?" Search engine never crossed my mind lol
That's exactly what crossed my mind when I first heard of it.:lol:
Edit:
And boy that video is kinda cheesy in some parts..
You'd better believe it is. It reminded me of a recent microsoft released video clip advertising some MS software, but the person was running it on a mac. hehe. Needless to say, that software never left the ground.

Last edited:

farscapeone

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
They say it's simple but from what I can tell by watching that video ... Google don't have a thing to worry about :p

ichwar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
They say it's simple but from what I can tell by watching that video ... Google don't have a thing to worry about :p
yeah, it looked kind of confusing to me too. Oh well, we'll jut have to wait till it goes live, and answer this question once and for all. I'm not setting any hopes on it though.

Hauzer

Reaction score
Neither am I, but what's wrong with Live! Search? Not that I use it, the only two I use is Google and Yahoo. Most likely those are the only two search engines I'd use.

At least this Bing has a unique feature, but I wouldn't say it would get too popular. I can't imaging my school teacher saying look it up on Bing. Lol.

ichwar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
I can't imaging my school teacher saying look it up on Bing. Lol.
I think microsoft is trying to accomplish the impossible. I don't believe they'll ever replace Google. But competition always drives the quality up!

garrettroyce

Community Support
Community Support
Reaction score
Now, instead of saying "Google it" you can say "Bing it"

ichwar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Hmmm, bing don't got the ring that google has.

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
This is sounding quite cool. I wonder what happened to Microsoft's MSN/Live search though. They must have abandoned it for a better design.

ichwar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
hehe, does that mean they're quitting development on msn and live?

garrettroyce

Community Support
Community Support
Reaction score
Probably not. Microsoft loves spamming products. I mean, really, there were 5 different versions of Vista.

Last edited: