Block all access to server until maintenece is over

toonshorty

Reaction score
I think that if you totally block access to the server until you compleate the maintenence. I mean, allowing access to a broken server under maintenece must just add more strain.

Think of it like this. There is a very busy road used by many many people, there is lots of roadworks around, but still they allow traffic to pass over the roadworks.

You servers are like this, you are doing lots of maintenence on the servers but yet you still leave them live.

I think if you blocked all access to the servers until the maintenence was over there would be much less hastle for the Staff, The Servers and the support board.

Please do consider this,

- Toonshorty

galaxyAbstractor

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Then every new member would start millions of support threads about why thec can't access their site :)

Starshine

Legend Killer
Reaction score
Then every new member would start millions of support threads about why thec can't access their site :)

Nope. If you close the forum with a message clearly outlining the reason why new accounts can't be created, why the forum is closed, etc ... that should handle it. And I agree. To cut down on the "My site dead", "WTH is going on?" type threads ... the service should be closed until all work is done and tested out.

Then clear the forum ( or close all threads that relate to the matter ) and reopen the forum.

toonshorty

Reaction score
Well I have just posted a thread on the support section with a list of the issues and if you have any of those issues to view the news and not post

galaxyAbstractor

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Nope. If you close the forum with a message clearly outlining the reason why new accounts can't be created, why the forum is closed, etc ... that should handle it. And I agree. To cut down on the "My site dead", "WTH is going on?" type threads ... the service should be closed until all work is done and tested out.

Then clear the forum ( or close all threads that relate to the matter ) and reopen the forum.

But wht if they manage to find out an email adress to a staff member they would spam him :)

Russ

<b>Retired *****</b>
Reaction score
I agree with starshine, lock down the forums and it'll stop.. but, then what would I do for 5 hours a day? ;)

Russ

<b>Retired *****</b>
Reaction score
True.. xbox 360 here I come.

Cycloneflame

Reaction score
I want my SQL databases. Right here, right now. I've had enough of this baloney.

Starshine

Legend Killer
Reaction score
I want my SQL databases. Right here, right now. I've had enough of this baloney.

Wouldn't everyone who has a MySQL database error. Just have to wait, or move on to some other host. Corey and the admins are doing their best to get things fixed. When you have problems that are not in your control, there is little you can do.

coolv1994

Reaction score
If you close the server people will get mad and quit or post millions of threads saying cant use site

Livewire

Abuse Compliance Officer
Staff member
Reaction score
If you close the server people will get mad and quit or post millions of threads saying cant use site

2 notes on that:

1) Good. I'd rather have 1 good user than 10 who whine that a free webhost is having problems. If they hate it so much, let them hit up google and get new ones. Pardon my bias here but frankly I'd rather start banning users who aren't reading Server Alerts. I imagine it's worse for staff who actually have to respond to it - I can just stop going to Free Hosting, but they can't.

2) VIP members? We're on a server that's not broken. I'm more worried about what'd happen if one of us needs help and the forums are locked until Free gets fixed - support tickets run out of Priority Support :S

I'm all for locking the forums, but there'd have to be a way for the paying members to get help if they needed it (paid's got a lot less issues though so in theory it'd have a lot less posts, but stuff can still go wrong on an account-by-account basis).

Edit: Just looked in suspended accounts, rather surprised how many posts are in there that appear to be related to the server troubles too - now I REALLY feel bad for the staff on this one >_<

Last edited:

QuwenQ

Reaction score
lyk hw cud u b so mean!11!1

lyk my sit ben dpwn fo lyk 3 dys!!!1!1

u suk!!!!!!!!!!!111

Do you have any idea how much it killed my soul to do that?

I agree with the temp-banning users who don't read the forum idea, if they won't put the time into it then the AMs shouldn't have to either.

Livewire

Abuse Compliance Officer
Staff member
Reaction score
Actually after walking away from my pc for a few minutes, maybe temp-banning's a tad overkill.

I'm not in the staffs shoes though - I can't really imagine what they're dealing with on this one. They can't just avoid Free Hosting after all >_<

Russ

<b>Retired *****</b>
Reaction score
*adds a temp ban for everyone who replied to this post* j/k Thanks for all the ones who are positive. ;)

Xemnas

Reaction score
In theory, locking the support forums may sound like a nice idea; you don't get hundreds of users complaining about their site being down or just saying "yeh me to!", people don't mistake their loss of access to their site as a suspension etc. But really it just wouldn't work; it's not going to stop them spamming up the announcement thread, or any other thread for that matter. So it's probably best to leave the forum open and keep it all concentrated there, and possibly force users to fill out a support form if they want help (similar to how the suspension forum works). As for the temp banning, that is probably too harsh; just giving infractions might be a better option (I agree that if users are not going to take the time to find out what is happening, then we shouldn't have to take the time to tell them what's going on).

Last edited:

cointoss

Reaction score
Well, they have closed the forums once before that I know of, and there was little problem. If the forums are closed, users can't spam, because they can't access the forum. To be totally honest with you, I don't consider myself lazy or an ignoramus but sometimes I have trouble finding out exactly what is going on... lol. Actually, it worked out better for me when the forum was closed because when I tried to load the forum, there was a closed message that tells me exactly what's up.

Maybe they should just post an announcement like that (even if they leave the forums open) so people will know what is going on. I mean, its great to post on the forum, but at least that way everyone would see it when they log on.

rodinman

Reaction score
I am perfectly happy with the service that is provided here. I think anyone that uses a free host to run a site for anything other than testing or personal use is silly. I like the service here and it is ten times better than any other free host and as good if not better than some of the pay hosts. Keep up the good work guys.

Jesse

Reaction score
That's a preety good idea but i dont think other users will agree on it.