Block ie users?

Jigzo

Reaction score
can anyone tell me the website for a script that makes ie users need to use firefox? i made a thread before but i cant find it

Jesse

Reaction score
Why don't search on the internet, i am sure there are lots. But nevermind, Lol :p

Sharky

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
It's http://forums.x10hosting.com/off-topic/36158-need-firefox.html, and I've already made my position on this clear in that thread. Wrong, just wrong.

It's a slippery slope: you prevent IE users now, where will it end? Blocking all people from a certain country? Blocking everybody on a Wednesday? Won't somebody think of the children!!

EDIT: On a more serious note, ultimately, unless you're a major site (none of which are likely to provide errors based on browser just for the fun of it...) or have the latest must-have thing on your site, nobody is going to change their internet browser just to go to your site. Small sites generally don't have it as easy as big popular sites when it comes to attracting visitors, and showing a "You are using Internet Explorer, so you can't come in" message isn't going to help you at all.

Last edited:

Spartan Erik

Retired
Reaction score
Bad idea IMO, you'll just lose tons of traffic.. IE is still the majority I believe. Most people aren't going to download a browser to view a single website..

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
Bad idea blocking Internet Explorer. At school, only the teacher computers and the Macs have Firefox. Other than that, all of the computers use Internet Explorer. What if your site had some useful info that people would be looking up? They wouldn't be able to access it. Besides, I could always change the useragent so that IE would report it's Firefox (you can do the same with Firefox, or any other browser) , or I could use Proxify. Otherwise, if you want people to use Firefox, the least you could do is on every page or on certain pages make a "Get Firefox" image/link appear.

Last edited:

virgo

Reaction score
the thing is called google at firefox. you can find there code on google website. it is not the only the firefox code that you can download, the site also offers many kind of codes as well.

rlodge

Reaction score
Well that's different. I don't think there's going to be much use for that. The goal is to get people to your site, not run them off.

From the web page said:
Then a few days ago, Google announced that they would pay $1 for each referral to Firefox with Google Toolbar. The idea popped back out of the idea pile. Google has just set the stage for Firefox to literally "take back the web" and go from 11% of browsers to over 50%. If people can now spread Firefox, stick it to Microsoft, and make money for each user switched, an aggressive strategy just got more appealing.

So it's about someone who hates Microsoft and wants some money.