Can money buy true happiness?

Scott

Reaction score

This question has came up several times while chatting with friends, I really don't think it can...

What are your opinions on this question?

Jesse

Reaction score
Well it Depends... but Majority if it comes on Relationships, or other... Money can't buy happiness (for me).

Sharky

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
Yes, it can, if you buy morphine.

xtreemgreen

Reaction score
It all depends on your financial situation. If you are having hard times, then yes. Because you arent use to being able to buy special things you've always wanted. But if you make a good living, then no I dont think it can buy happiness.

Twinkie

Banned
Reaction score
It depends if you need it, then it would buy you financial security. If you buy drugs, technology and dreaded overpriced gift shop items, then it will give you temporary excitement and joy. Not true happiness. Would you rather have 1 million dollars and a $5,000 computer, or a family?

Last edited:

Zangetsu

Reaction score
i dont think it can buy happyness, theres not enough money to do so

thebabyhater

Reaction score
Would you rather have 1 million dollars and a $5,000 computer, or a family?

I couldn't care less about the computer, but I'll take the million over a family any day. :D

That being said, money can absolutely buy happiness, but only for some people. Everybody has a different definition of what makes them "happy" - to some, it's their family. To others, it's helping humanity. And for the people like me, money can absolutely buy happiness.

Anybody who claims otherwise has never gone over 170mph behind the wheel of a Ferrari. :)

But whatever it might be that fits your personal defintion of "happiness," you owe it to yourself to pursue it.

Last edited:

HermXIV

Reaction score
I think the question is relative to what make's you happy.

If material goods and having people around make you happy then yes, money can buy happiness.

But if having people who love you and truly care about you around makes you happy then no, money cannot buy happiness.

There is really no universal answer to this question, the answer varies from person to person just as their sources of happiness vary.

Soki

Banned
Reaction score
Depends on different views of "happiness" and the length of time you will be "happy". No one human can be happy all their life...but money does buy you happiness for a certain amount of time.

Dan

Reaction score
It really all depends on what makes you happy.
If family & pets etc. are the things that make you happy then no money can't buy true happiness for you.
If perhaps you couldn't care less about a family and you'd feel happy sitting in a room with the latest technology for the rest of your life then yes money can buy you true happiness.
It all depends on the person, and what true happiness is for them.

Scott

Reaction score
My chihuahua makes me happy, but money bought him, so I guess money can make me happy...

fempower

Reaction score
I think most people would be happiest without too many money troubles (at least some financial security) so that they can spend time enjoying everything else. After security and maybe a tiny bit for splurging, then extra money can't make most people happy, but would instead, give them problems, wanting more and never satisfied. Altruism can help with the extra money problem.

Of course a few people can be very happy with pretty much nothing at all.

idontknow95129

Reaction score
Universal Answer: 42. 42 is the answer to all life, the universe, and everything. And I agree with HermXIV. The question is what makes YOU happy. If having money makes you happy, go for it.

xPlozion

Reaction score
Money can make me happy, but at the end of the day, there's still a void.

Would I be happy to have an Impreza or a sport bike? Yes, but if there's no one to share your happyness with, then what's the point in having the material items?

If I had to choose between between love/happyness or money, I'd probably go with happyness.

Domenico

Reaction score

Short answer: NO

Long answer: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. Well, maybe.

It depends. If you measure happiness out of the joy you get with interacting with something that costed a lot then maybe. If you measure happiness form the amount of conflict their is in your life (less conflict proportionally being more happiness) then maybe.

Maybe we should ask someone who has more money then they know what to do with it? I don't thing there's anyone at these forums who's that rich. Hey Donald Trump, does money buy true happiness?

Domenico

Reaction score
Hey I got an idea! I'll see if money can buy happiness. Quickly, everyone give me all your money! "All I ask is the chance to prove that money can't make me happy." :biggrin:

Dazz

Reaction score
Simple..........No

Money cannot buy you happiness due to it being a chemical response in the brain ;-)

Enough of the smart arse answer lol, IMO No it cannot, due almost entirely to basic human nature............. If you have no money you worry about being able to pay for everything, If you have money you worry about PAYING everything because you don't want to loose it.............Result= You're unhappy either way.......... lmao ;-)