Can money buy true happiness?

ravenriver

Reaction score
Can anyone sell 'happiness' as a product?
An interesting follow up question would be, would it come in canned or bottled form? :)

Seriously though...it can't be sold...and it can't be bought...just ask yourself the same question when you're feeling depressed sometime...or ask someone who is depressed...they can't buy away the depression or sadness...you can't buy away your sorrows, sadnesses or tragedies so...no, you can't buy happiness in my opinion.

Zdroyd

Reaction score
Zdroyd, I disagree with you on your last statement. Truth can't be different things for different people. Truth is not subjective, it is objective. Truth is truth. Truth does not change, other wise, if truth were constantly changing, how could we ever know what truth is?

I was not talking about truth... Why did you bring up such a random thing?

And stop with all the religious crap... I have a right to say what my true happiness is, and you have NO right to tell me anything about ME, you do not know me.

Also Truth and Happiness are two different things. And technically Truth is nothing but the faith in someones opinion. (Which makes Science opinion and because religion is opinion: Science = Religion!!! HA HA I WIN!!!)

Edit: Wait I see what your trying to say; and here is how I plan to counter it:

Some believe that God is real and they believe that the existence of God is truth.
While others believe that God is not real and so in turn they believe that the Nonexistence of God is Truth.
Which implies that they both have different truths.
And once again: I was not talking about Truth I was talking about Happiness. Which are two different things. Its like comparing Apples to Pickles. (Or was it Oranges?)

Last edited:

Max1337

Reaction score
Money can't buy happiness...
Sure you can get practically whatever you want (depends on how much you have), but what makes true happiness is love.
People may have their own opinions about it, but this is just my own...

Last edited:

Zdroyd

Reaction score
Money can't buy happiness...
Sure you can get practically whatever you want (depends on how much you have), but what makes true happiness is love.

Right!

And what if the one you love is on a business trip to China, and you have to buy the technology to talk to her!

So money can be used to help you gain happiness, but it can never bring happiness alone.

Win-Win

ichwar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
I was not talking about truth... Why did you bring up such a random thing?

And stop with all the religious crap... I have a right to say what my true happiness is, and you have NO right to tell me anything about ME, you do not know me.
No, I do not know you, but I know about you. BTW, I wasn't telling you anything about you. I was telling you about Truth.

Also Truth and Happiness are two different things. And technically Truth is nothing but the faith in someones opinion. (Which makes Science opinion and because religion is opinion: Science = Religion!!! HA HA I WIN!!!)
You're wrong here again: Truth is not faith in someone's opinion. Thus science != religion. Thus you do not win. The battle isn't quite so easy as that.
Let's look at the dictionary definition of truth:
Conformity to fact or reality; exact accordance with that which is, or has been, or shall be.
Notice "conformity to fact or REALITY" not "someone's OPINION."

Edit: Wait I see what your trying to say; and here is how I plan to counter it:

Some believe that God is real and they believe that the existence of God is truth.
While others believe that God is not real and so in turn they believe that the Nonexistence of God is Truth.
Which implies that they both have different truths.
So, because of a faulty assumption of what truth is, you now have a faulty argument. Remember, truth is a conformity to REALITY. Now I hope that you at least have sense enough to realise that God either does or does not exist. He can't exist and not exist at the same time. Based then on this starting point. The truth (remember: REALITY) is either that God exists or that HE doesn't exist. So, your example of God existance being a reality and a non reality at the same time makes not sense, is illogical, and does not prove whatever point you are trying to make or to counter.
So, please stop trying to compare apples to pickles and and just address the question that is currently at stake!

Doppelgangergang

Reaction score
But if having people who love you and truly care about you around makes you happy then no, money cannot buy happiness.
People who love, care and understand me is the real happiness. No amount of money can buy this for me.

*cuddles Aki*

Killjoy116

Reaction score
Depending on how much money you had.. but as soon you buy something you might be happy for a little while but you will eventually grow old of it and have to keep buying and buying untill you run out of money or buy everything.. but then either way you would end up unhappy..

Coldfirezz

Reaction score
I say yes and no. Idk It seems like it can but the best things in life are free. For Example: Love, Friendship, Fun.

Zdroyd

Reaction score
No, I do not know you, but I know about you. BTW, I wasn't telling you anything about you. I was telling you about Truth.

You're wrong here again: Truth is not faith in someone's opinion. Thus science != religion. Thus you do not win. The battle isn't quite so easy as that.
Let's look at the dictionary definition of truth: Notice "conformity to fact or REALITY" not "someone's OPINION."

So, because of a faulty assumption of what truth is, you now have a faulty argument. Remember, truth is a conformity to REALITY. Now I hope that you at least have sense enough to realise that God either does or does not exist. He can't exist and not exist at the same time. Based then on this starting point. The truth (remember: REALITY) is either that God exists or that HE doesn't exist. So, your example of God existance being a reality and a non reality at the same time makes not sense, is illogical, and does not prove whatever point you are trying to make or to counter.
So, please stop trying to compare apples to pickles and and just address the question that is currently at stake!

Like I said before... WE ARE NOT TALKING ABOUT "TRUTH", TRUTH AND HAPPINESS ARE TWO DIFFERENT THINGS... Thank you.

Also how can we prove that the definition in the dictionary is true? All you have is the faith that the dictionary is true. You have no way to know if what someone says it absolutely true. Let me redirect you to the following thread.

How do you know that you have a brain? I can not see it, and I do not think you have seen it ether. So we both have to believe in our Faith that the scientists who said "all humans have brains" where telling the truth.

Also you saying that "Truth is not the faith in someones opinion" is a opinion in itself, you gave no evidence to support that statement, except your dictionary definition which is also nothing but the opinion of a large group of people.

Life is based on opinion, I call the thing I am typing on a Keyboard because some man decided to name it that. It was that mans opinion that a Keyboard is called "Keyboard". If enough people started to call it something else, we would begin to believe there opinion about what it should be called.

My final note that all this arguing is (probably) causing both of us stress, which is depriving us of the Happiness that this thread was created to talk about. I also believe that you misunderstood my comment of "Win-Win" here is what I meant: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Win_Win I was stating that we need to find a common ground and settle this argument in a way that both of us are happy. Unless you are an arrogant scumbag who would rather this end with a "Win-Lose". Your choice.

ichwar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Also how can we prove that the definition in the dictionary is true? All you have is the faith that the dictionary is true. You have no way to know if what someone says it absolutely true.

Also you saying that "Truth is not the faith in someones opinion" is a opinion in itself, you gave no evidence to support that statement, except your dictionary definition which is also nothing but the opinion of a large group of people.

I most definately do have a way to know if something someone says is absolutely true. I compare it to what God tells us in the Bible. If God tells us it's true in the Bible, it's true. If God tells us that it's not true, then it's not true. God is omniscient.

Zdroyd, what you are trying to do is redefine the english language. In english, the word t-r-u-t-h means a conformity to reality. In another language, it might mean something else. But we are talking in english, so, to prevent unnecessary confusion, let's just speak in plain english.

Life is based on opinion, I call the thing I am typing on a Keyboard because some man decided to name it that. It was that mans opinion that a Keyboard is called "Keyboard". If enough people started to call it something else, we would begin to believe there opinion about what it should be called.

You're proving my point, if enough people wanted to, they would invent a new word in the english language to also mean keyboard. But that wouldn't make the keyboard not a keyboard. The word "keyboard" is a name that we have given to the thing that we connect to the computer and type upon to make pixels change colors on the screen. Changing the name won't change what the keyboard actually is. The keyboard wil remain the same nomatter what people call it. We're not talking about names, we're talking about what actually IS. So, we're talking about keyboards, not keyboard names. We are talking about REALITY. We are talking about ABSOLUTE TRUTH.

My final note that all this arguing is (probably) causing both of us stress, which is depriving us of the Happiness that this thread was created to talk about. I also believe that you misunderstood my comment of "Win-Win" here is what I meant: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Win_Win I was stating that we need to find a common ground and settle this argument in a way that both of us are happy. Unless you are an arrogant scumbag who would rather this end with a "Win-Lose". Your choice.
THERE IS NO MIDDLE GROUND.
God cannot exist and not exist at the same time. So each of settling for God half existing and half not existing will not help matters at all. We're talking about ABSOLUTE TRUTH, not opinions.

xPlozion

Reaction score
ok, lets get back to the subject. we are talking about money buying happiness, not religion or truth or languages. the last page and a half has been off topic arguing what is truth and such (i point the finger at you ^^).

again, to the topic, i'll restate my opinion that money cannot buy true happiness. money can buy a temporary "high" which we often confuse with happiness, but after a while, it wears off and again, back to your "bland" self you go.

i was going to go into what can buy happiness (not money), but i forget now since i'm also watching tv.

Zdroyd

Reaction score
THERE IS NO MIDDLE GROUND.
God cannot exist and not exist at the same time. So each of settling for God half existing and half not existing will not help matters at all. We're talking about ABSOLUTE TRUTH, not opinions.

Ohh... I see what is going on here, your one of those arrogant Religious types who think only you could be right and never take the time to consider someone elses point of view. Sadly I know exactly how you will respond:

"God is real and you, Zdoryd are damned to Hell for not believing in him. 'The bible is true because it says its true.'"

and I will respond:

"I never said I did not believe in YOUR God. I have my RIGHT to believe what I CHOOSE. Also note that 'the bible is true because it says its true' is called circular reasoning, which is the same as saying 'I am true because I say I am true. End.'"

and you will respond:

"Zdroyd, you have know idea what you are talking about. Etc..."

and I will finish:

"How do you know that you are not the one who is wrong. Is God not the only One that can judge who is good and who is bad, who is right and who is wrong? Also note that this is extremely off topic."

and I will edit my last statement:

"Edit: I tryed to reason with you, I tryed to ask you to find a compermise with me; but you seem to arrogant and self centered to consider the idea."

So how about we both listen to all the other people and return to the topic. We are talking about Happiness not Truth.

Thank You.

-Zdroyd

ichwar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Ohh... I see what is going on here, your one of those arrogant Religious types who think only you could be right and never take the time to consider someone elses point of view. Sadly I know exactly how you will respond:

"God is real and you, Zdoryd are damned to Hell for not believing in him. 'The bible is true because it says its true.'"

and I will respond:

"I never said I did not believe in YOUR God. I have my RIGHT to believe what I CHOOSE. Also note that 'the bible is true because it says its true' is called circular reasoning, which is the same as saying 'I am true because I say I am true. End.'"

and you will respond:

"Zdroyd, you have know idea what you are talking about. Etc..."

and I will finish:

"How do you know that you are not the one who is wrong. Is God not the only One that can judge who is good and who is bad, who is right and who is wrong? Also note that this is extremely off topic."

and I will edit my last statement:

"Edit: I tryed to reason with you, I tryed to ask you to find a compermise with me; but you seem to arrogant and self centered to consider the idea."

So how about we both listen to all the other people and return to the topic. We are talking about Happiness not Truth.

Thank You.

-Zdroyd

You don't do to good of a job at predicting what someone else is going to say.

You do have a right to choose what you want to believe. But you will pay the consequences for believing what you believe. I never said you couldn't believe God exists. God didn't say that either. I'm saying that if you believe that God doesn't exist, then God will punish you for that.

So, you're tired of defending your viewpoint? You've been avoiding all my main questions, which leads me to believe that you are at the end of your rope.

We are not off topic. We're talking about true happiness. True happiness depends upon God, thus, Whether or not God exists is a major factor in determinig true happiness.
Let me explain: if God exists, then there is an afterlife and true happiness consists of more than just video games. But if God doesn't exist, then all there is to life is what we see/have right now.
See what I mean?

So, we will get nowhere discussing what true happiness is, unless we first come to an agreement on the existence of God. And I already told you: there is no middle ground, God cannot exist and not exist at the same time. He either exists, or He doesn't exist.
So, do you believe that a) God exists; b) God doesn't exist; c) He exists for me and not for you, i.e. He does and doesn't exist at the same time?
point c. is the middle ground. I hope you see how illogical and impossible this is. Therefore, he either does or doesn't exist.

Zdroyd

Reaction score
You don't do to good of a job at predicting what someone else is going to say.

You do have a right to choose what you want to believe. But you will pay the consequences for believing what you believe. I never said you couldn't believe God exists. God didn't say that either. I'm saying that if you believe that God doesn't exist, then God will punish you for that.

So, you're tired of defending your viewpoint? You've been avoiding all my main questions, which leads me to believe that you are at the end of your rope.

We are not off topic. We're talking about true happiness. True happiness depends upon God, thus, Whether or not God exists is a major factor in determinig true happiness.
Let me explain: if God exists, then there is an afterlife and true happiness consists of more than just video games. But if God doesn't exist, then all there is to life is what we see/have right now.
See what I mean?

So, we will get nowhere discussing what true happiness is, unless we first come to an agreement on the existence of God. And I already told you: there is no middle ground, God cannot exist and not exist at the same time. He either exists, or He doesn't exist.
So, do you believe that a) God exists; b) God doesn't exist; c) He exists for me and not for you, i.e. He does and doesn't exist at the same time?
point c. is the middle ground. I hope you see how illogical and impossible this is. Therefore, he either does or doesn't exist.

Ok you arrogant fool, I asked you to stop, I will say one last thing and then act like you are mature enough to listen to me.

It is your OPINION that God decides true happiness.

Also note that I did not want to find a "Middle Ground" about Gods existence. I wanted to find a middle ground in this argument. And do not say: "God is this argument." How about we stay away from debating religion (we all know where that will go...) and only talk about Happiness and is relevance to money.

(Also my friend said that you should keep your preaching where it belongs; in a church. (Note that I do not support that statement.))

Happiness is the realization that your dreams have been reached; for some those goals might be to help others, for some serving their lord is their main goal, and for others: living a prosperous life and knowing that you did something with that life.

ShadowmasterX

Reaction score
I am here to end this thread!

I think that money can buy happiness to a certain point, but it is rather not happiness; I call it mimic happiness.
True happiness, in my opinion, is when you can actually do something for other people... like to love or the help other people.

One main factor of happiness is friends. Money cannot buy REAL friends. Money cannot buy a friend that will be loyal, trustworthy and honest. Money will buy you a friend that is greedy, unloyal, and unstable. I think that a real friend will put their life infront of yours and try in every way to help you, without asking of anything in return.

I believe another factor is also Love. Love is a strong thing, to love means to feel affectionate for someone, passionate for someone. I think that Love is an overused word and has lost its meaning.

Money cannot buy Love. Not true love.

So there is the answer to the question. This is the answer, think about it!

warlordste

Reaction score
i think money can temp buy you happiness but when it comes to ture happyiness which last for ages then no :) beacuse i have been with no money to my name and still brillantly happy and there times where i had loads of money and not happy so you see it can but not properly

Zdroyd

Reaction score
A good example of LOTS of money but no friends:

BILL GATES, the Ultimate Nerd.