Can money buy true happiness?

ichwar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
I don't think money can buy happiness..but I think it doesn't hurt to have some :) I mean if money alone was to buy happiness why are so many celebrities in pain, rehab,ect. probably because money doesn't buy love, true friends, and probably buys an extreme amount of boredom..If you have everything you want materialistically..whats left to buy..wheres left to go..ect.. have it, seen it, done it all

Right, I never said that money was bad. It's good to have money. Even lots of money is fine.
BUT, money is not happiness. Neither can it buy happiness.

You make a very good point with the celebrities. They're famous, they're rich, in short, they appear successful, But the way they spend their spare time tells a different story.

dbojan

Reaction score
Money can not buy you happiness. The reason why we can not buy happiness is that we only want more and more money. It does not matter how much we have, we always want more. It's a curse.

Armacci Design

Reaction score
Happiness is a relative term. For some, happiness is saving the rain forest or cutting down on polution. For others, it's having a big family and a minivan.

For me, however, happiness is almost entirely defined by material wealth. My goal in life is to work hard enough until I can afford the things that I want - lots of fast cars and a big house. Some might call me shallow, but I know what my personal definition of happiness is and I'm not trying to impose it on anybody else.

Parsa44

Reaction score
It all depends on how the money is used, who is using it, and what the persons sitiation is.

In most cases, yes money does bring happiness, but to some extent.

sourfacedcyclop

Reaction score
I think that money can be a means to happiness. Money can allow you to buy things which you make have been unable to before. The money itself isn't what makes you happy, but the experiences and memories that can go along with the things which you buy and can share with loved ones.

ichwar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
It all depends on how the money is used, who is using it, and what the persons sitiation is.

In most cases, yes money does bring happiness, but to some extent.
But, we're not talking about regular temporary happiness. We're talking here about true happiness. Something that will last longer than a few hours or a few days...

Parsa44

Reaction score
Personally i think 85% if happiness is money, but the rest may be other things such as being healthy ect. The thing is money can buy most things, which lead to happyness.

If you was poor couldnt feed yourself and lived on the streets you wouldnt be happy.

ichwar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Personally i think 85% if happiness is money, but the rest may be other things such as being healthy ect. The thing is money can buy most things, which lead to happyness.

If you was poor couldnt feed yourself and lived on the streets you wouldnt be happy.

But if you were rich and had everything you wanted, you still wouldn't be happy. Ok, sometimes you can be happy by thinking about all the nice things that money can buy you, but once you get the money and actually buy them, they don't make you happy at all.

vulcan

Reaction score
Depending on the definition of happiness.
If you are a materialistic person who is derived by lust and instinct (Food,Sex,Sex,Sex,Sex, Food, Reproduction, Food,Sex,Sex) , then yes money will buy you happiness until you or someone you care (that if u are a person that cares) about, has a fatal illness....
otherwise, money is just a tool we use to ease up our journey of exploring and learning and passing on knowledge.

A personal opinion.
Thanks for sharing and listening

Last edited:

merrillmck

Reaction score
Lack of money can cause stress ... and ...

... money can create time you didn't have ... ie hiring someone to do your lawn work or laundry ... which would allow you to spend your time with family, on a sailboat, or feeding the homeless

pokefan2

Reaction score
Money can buy true happiness for some. Let's say you are about 9 years old, and stumble upon a ridiculous sum of money. Your parents say you can do whatever you want with it(within legal bound of course) and you spend it on games and instruments and other fun stuff. That to you would be true happiness because it is one of the only types of happiness you know, because you don't understand the urge to have a family or be with a family yet.

taha116

Reaction score
Not really. It cannot bring happiness in any form. Happiness isnt smiling when you look at you bank account, or when you buy a new PC or a new house. Its having peace of mind wich money never gets you. Look at the rich ppl these days, they do not stop working for money, for what? Just so they can invest it again? whats the point.

Money cant get happiness for someone or anyone. Its just a lie... wich is why I miss the old days that i never got to see myself were ppl lived off the land, had thier own farms, manged things by hand and had no taxes no nothing. I like things without stress. Money only brings stress not hapiness.

That being said if anyone desides to throw away thier money after reading this post, ill gladly take it.... hehe