Cannot Edit Files

Status
Not open for further replies.

marvso

Reaction score
The file manager will not allow me to save changes to any file I edit. I've tried the cPanel file manager, the legacy file manager, and the Basic file manager with no success on multiple browser. Any clue what's causing the error?

descalzo

Grim Squeaker
Community Support
Reaction score
What are the permissions on the file in question?

Anna

I am just me
Staff member
Reaction score
The file manager will not allow me to save changes to any file I edit. I've tried the cPanel file manager, the legacy file manager, and the Basic file manager with no success on multiple browser. Any clue what's causing the error?
Hello,

There's no hosting account linked to the forum account you are currently posting from, please let us know what your main domain is so we can look up the account.

For future support requests please use the forum account that is attached to your hosting account. If you don't know the username for that account please go to your portal and visit "Get support" -> "visit forums". On the pop up there you will see the username for the forum account currently attached, as well as the option to change which forum account is attached to your hosting.

Bryon

I Fix Things
Reaction score
The issue with saving files should now be resolved. Let us know if you have any continued problems.

lotrox10

Reaction score
I am still having this issue. The good news is the close button now works, warning me the changes are unsaved. But the 'Save Changes' button is still not working for me.

lotrox10

Reaction score
File manager editing. Tbh I am not sure what via ftp means...xD When I tried in Internet explorer the save changes had no response, tried in google chrome just now and it just spins the loading bar trying to save it, but just sits there. I guess I will just have to edit in notepad and upload it. Its just a pain :/

lotrox10

Reaction score
Oo, guess it did save in google chrome even though the loading bar kept spinning and I had to close the window. Not ideal, but better :)

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Just as a general thing, editing online isn't a great idea. For one thing, it means that you don't have a local backup of the file, and for another it means that when things do go wrong you lose all of your work. Edit on your machine, save your changes locally, then update or replace the file on the server. You can use FTP ("file transfer protocol"; basically you use a bit of client software that acts something like Windows Explorer or the Mac Finder to copy files from your machine to/from the server; you can find free FTP software online) or the cPanel File Manager to do the updating.

lotrox10

Reaction score
I appreciate the information essellar. I do save local backups but just tend to do so in the reverse order as you described.

Google chrome was working fine last night for editing via file manager. However it is still broken for Internet Explorer (I'm using IE9, 64-bit version).

Status
Not open for further replies.