Cannot update large posts in WP after MySQL update

Status
Not open for further replies.

spadija

Reaction score
I am using Wordpress 2.9.2 and I am having trouble updating or posting posts. This started happening within the last week, so I think it is related to the recent MySQL update. My site is http://chaosinacan.com (or http://chaosinacan.x10hosting.com)

If I try to post a decent sized post, (say > 2000 characters) when I click the submit, update, or save draft button, nothing happens for ~20 seconds after I click the button until I get a "Connection closed by remote server" error page from my browser (Opera). Using Opera's network inspection tool, no response of any kind is received after clicking the button. The same thing occurs if I use any other browser. If I post something smaller, everything works as it should. Since the cutoff seems to be about 2300 characters of HTML, there seems to be some sort of 2KB limit in MySQL that my site is going over.

In addition, my errors_log is full of lines like this:
[31-Aug-2010 14:12:26] WordPress database error Lost connection to MySQL server during query for query SELECT option_value FROM wdb_options WHERE option_name = 'headspace_global' LIMIT 1 made by require, require_once, require_once, require_once, do_action, call_user_func_array, HeadSpace2->plugins_loaded, HeadSpace2->get_current_settings, get_option

and this:
[31-Aug-2010 14:12:26] WordPress database error MySQL server has gone away for query SELECT . . . (some random sql query)

I have tried disabling all of my plugins and posting again, but there was no change. This did not occur until recently and is keeping me from updating my site. Is there anything that can be done to fix this?

descalzo

Grim Squeaker
Community Support
Reaction score
Tried it on a friend's test blog on Boru and (1600 words) had no problem posting or editing.

Do you have any plugins that might be causing it?

Is it still happening?

spadija

Reaction score
It's still happening. I'm on starka if that helps. I've tried posting with all plugins disabled and it still didn't work. I tried creating a new database and copying everything over, but that didn't fix it either. Now I have two databases and cPanel refuses to delete the second one. Actually, it reports that it deleted the database, but the database is still there.

There seems to be a pretty strict cutoff between "click publish and get a response in a couple seconds" and "click publish, get no response, and timeout 20 seconds later" based on the size of what I'm posting.

spadija

Reaction score
Okay, this seems to be a problem with my campus network, since everything works fine from my home network. I'll have to talk with the network admins here and see what the problem is.

Status
Not open for further replies.