Status
Not open for further replies.

Corey

I Break Things
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone!
[Warning: Long Post. Summary at bottom.]

It's been a while since our last update. I'm sure some of you have noticed that we have taken the main site down. First off, don't worry... we're not going anywhere. We never imagined the demand for our services would be so high. x10 was put together as a hobby and learning experience and grew into a community with over 10,000 members.

As x10 is privately funded and has never been about making profit all our support, software, and design has been voluntary or paid for out of pocket. We always try to break even on operating costs, with no money going towards myself or any other staff member. Without funding to support full time staff, developers, and designers we constantly struggle with implementing new ideas and changes. One simple change could mean 1,000 lines of code.

We've been very lucky to find hard working and talented individuals to volunteer as staff here at x10. By giving their time and efforts x10 has been able to grow to where we are at now. By doing some quick math I will give you an idea of the problems we face with managing x10 and then finally I'll let you in on some upcoming changes and updates that will help solve these problems.

With signups open we can easily pull in 300 new accounts per day. Currently we have 1,150 accounts in good standing, not suspended. If we take an estimate and say every account requires 5 minutes of support or maintenance per month. That gives us 5,750 minutes or 95 hours. Now add in just one week of open signups. We're now at 270 hours of time needed per month just for support and maintenance. There are a lot of things that go on in the background, like checking for ads, looking for illegal sites, dealing with suspensions, DMCA complaints, emails, etc... I could give some more examples but I think you get it.

Our main priority and goal has been to make x10 as automated as possible. By saving time on the day to day maintenance and tasks we will have more time to dedicate to improving services and implementing features and ideas that our members want. We've slowly done this by implementing things like the account panel so members can perform their own changes, and the suspension check so members can unsuspend themselves or see why and possibly be automatically unsuspended. These small additions give us back a ton of time in the long run.

After long discussions we have decided the only way to do this, and the right way is to shut signups off, take down the main site, and recode everything adding in all the features and requests from our staff and members. We will be automating many more things, adding in features and services that have been requested, and of course... making x10 the best free host in the world.

x10 v3 is underway. Everything we have learned over the past 2 years will be reflected in the upcoming changes. Mistakes, bad decisions, good decisions, and of course our member's feedback will all contribute to making x10 v3 the best hosting with the most features on the internet.

*Some* upcoming changes:
  • Ad free hosting with PHP\MySQL Support
  • Customizable ads(Possible to change colors of google\yahoo when displayed)
  • Ad code uniquely for your account
  • Ability to track views\clicks of x10 ads and get rewarded
  • Re-write of affiliate program to award x10Cash automatically
  • New subdomain choices
  • Tons of backend changes you don't really care about.

If anyone has any questions about my post please ask. I will check this thread regularly to answer questions. Now would also be a good time to post suggestions and feedback in the feedback forum.

-Corey

Zenax

Reaction score
I am really looking forward to the new updates and things that you have mentioned.

Just out of interest, do you have a ETA for this? I know you work hard and you don't have all your time to work on it, I was just wondering when these fabulous features are coming into effect.

I wish you all well in the re-coding of the back end, and the coding/installation of the many new amazing features that are coming our way.

--
Zenax

Corey

I Break Things
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm not going to give a deadline or an ETA because I do not want people looking forward to it or expecting it. Once we have an idea of when we will be done I'll be sure to post it here and on the main x10 site.

Reclutador

Reaction score
Oki doki Corey, You know that all staff will continue under your control helping on all ways possible ;)

We hope the new version of x10 ^^

Zenax

Reaction score
Thanks Corey. Well once again I wish you luck!

--
Zenax

MicrotechXP

Reaction score
I can't wait for v3. Its going to be great! :)

Corey you should place a donation button so people can donate. :)

Derek

Community Support Force
Community Support
Reaction score
Great we can change colors..

stealth_thunder

Reaction score
Corey keep it moving very very cool webhosting , if there's any click link for money generating ads or others feel free to tell me , I will spread to all my friends to click at least once per day ;)

Fedlerner

Former Adm & Team Manager
Community Support
Reaction score
It's great to hear that.
x10hosting is far the best free hosting I've been on. :)

ImperialPhoenix

Reaction score
Corey keep it moving very very cool webhosting , if there's any click link for money generating ads or others feel free to tell me , I will spread to all my friends to click at least once per day ;)

Nice but
I remember something saying that you can't do that otherwise
they going to stop the cash for click service(google/yahoo).

You going to get Corey to not be able to use the ad service thing.
"Customizable ads(Possible to change colors of google\yahoo when displayed)"
This means hee going to use google and I sure most services haves
rules like:

"Clicks on Google ads must result from genuine user interest."
No incuraging folks to click. Stuff like that.

I think there was an ad I once clicked that took me to a cool game
with planets, forgot the game but it's like my
turn based game except mines gots no pictures,
played it and made firends.

This update should allow you to use corporate ad without account suspendsion
when using the advance service, I remember getting suspended for using corperate under
my advance account so I decided to use advance ads instead,
it was some auto suspend thing.
Reasons why I used corporate instead of advance ad: The advance add makes my site design
not sooo good.

Last edited:

Starshine

Legend Killer
Reaction score
ImperialPhoenix said:
This update should allow you to use corporate ad without account suspendsion when using the advance service, I remember getting suspended for using corperate under my advance account so I decided to use advance ads instead,it was some auto suspend thing.

You are allowed to use the corporate ad code on Advanced package, but why you got suspended was the system looked for the advanced code. As long as you had the advanced code as well, there would of been no problem.

DMacK

Reaction score
The proposed changes sound great, looking forward to seeing them implemented. Again way to go staff and thanks for all your hard work.

Status
Not open for further replies.