copy website

Status
Not open for further replies.

keyston8

Reaction score
I have one addon domain (mydomain.net) hosted with x10Hosting. I built a website for that domain using Site Builder.

I'd like to move my other domain (mydomain.com), which is currently hosted with GoDaddy to x10Hosting.

Can I copy the website of the existing domain (mydomain.net), which I built with Site Builder, to the new domain which I will transfer to x10Hosting?

p.s. I know that I can use parked domain, but I prefer to be able to edit each site separately.

Thank you :)

bdistler

Prime Account
Reaction score
I'd like to move my other domain (mydomain.com)
you do not 'move' the domain - you need to set the DNS - NS record to x10hosting's name servers at Godaddy
and set it up as a "addon" domain on your x10hosting account

then the issue is with "Site Builder" will it work with the site from Godaddy ?
with free-hosting you can try it - and if you can not get it to work you have not lost money
###

keyston8

Reaction score
Yes, when I said "move the domain" I meant change the name server at GoDaddy to X10Hosting's name servers.
My question is: After I change the name servers to X10Hosting, I will have two addon domains under the same X10Hosting account. Can I copy the content which I created with Site Builder for the first addon domains to the second addon domain?

Thank you :)

addozone

Reaction score
Are you trying to merge two unique sites (mydomain.com/godaddy and mydomain.net/x10) into one (mydomainmerged.net/x10)?

Do you have unique content on your new X10 site, or are you just trying to move your Godaddy site the easiest way possible?

keyston8

Reaction score
Are you trying to merge two unique sites (mydomain.com/godaddy and mydomain.net/x10) into one (mydomainmerged.net/x10)?

Do you have unique content on your new X10 site, or are you just trying to move your Godaddy site the easiest way possible?

Please see some clarifications below:
  1. I have a domain registered and hosted with GoDaddy (mydomain.COM)
  2. I wanted to see if a free solution is sufficient for me, so I bought another domain to experiment with (mydomain.NET). I registered it with Google and I am hosting it with X10Hosting.
  3. I built another website with X10Hosting's "Site Builder" for mydomain.NET. This website is completely independent from the GoDaddy website.
  4. I am happy with the free solution, and my GoDaddy contract is about to be over, so I want to stop hosting mydomain.COM at GoDaddy, and start hosting at X10Hosting.
  5. mydomain.COM will stay registered with GoDaddy.
  6. My intention is to change the name servers for mydomain.COM at GoDaddy to point to X10Hosting, and to add mydomain.COM to X10Hosting as an "addon domain", NOT a parked domain.
  7. At this point I will be able to create a new website for mydomain.COM, with X10Hosting's "Site Builder".
  8. The problem is that I will have to start from scratch, while I already have the website built at mydomain.NET
  9. Can I copy the work I did with "Site Builder" for mydomain.NET, to mydomain.COM?
Thanks you :)

addozone

Reaction score
You're doing what I did recently. It should be easy.

If you're happy with your GoDaddy site, you can move it. No need for Site Builder or starting from scratch on X10.

All you need to do is create an addon domain on X10 (sounds like you have), copy the GoDaddy site resources (folders and files) to it, and then update the name servers - in that order.

Questions:

1. Is your GoDaddy site a cPanel shared hosting site, or a legacy site?

2. Do you have FTP file access for get/put set up for your GoDaddy site?

I'm very happy with the X10 free service for now. As long as you don't require SSL (https), it rocks.

keyston8

Reaction score
This is cool. I didn't know that it's possible to copy the site from GoDaddy ('GD'), paste it at x10Hosting ('X10H'), and it will still work.
How can I know if my GD site is legacy or cPanel? I signed up with GD 11 months ago. The user interface looks different than X10H cPanel, but maybe GD built its own user interface for cPanel.
I don't know if I have FTP file access.

Fortunately, I want to do something easier.
I actually like the new site which I built for mydomain.NET (with Site Builder, hosted on X10H) better than the GD site.
I want to copy the site from my existing addon domain with X10H (mydomain.NET) to the second addon domain that I will create with my X10H account - the one I'm transferring from GD (mydomain.COM)

My objective is to be able to continue editing mydomain.COM with Site Builder after I paste it.
How can I copy the files?
Will I be able to seamlessly continue editing mydomain.COM with Site Builder after the paste?

Thank you

addozone

Reaction score
If you signed up for GoDaddy 11 months ago, you're almost certainly on a cPanel shared server. The cPanel interfaces on GD and X10 don't look the same.

My ability to help is at an end though, because I have no experience with the X10 site builder, so I have no idea how it structures a site or if it's compatible with your current GD site. I think file collisions are likely.

Good luck.

keyston8

Reaction score
I'd like to try, and see if it works.
My plan is:
  1. Create a new addon domain with X10H (for mydomain.COM)
  2. Change the name servers at GD to point to X10H (mydomain.COM will stay registered with GD)
  3. Copy the files from my other addon domain (mydomain.NET), which is already with X10H and already has a website written with Site Builder
  4. Start using Site Builder on mydomain.COM and see if I can continue editing the site with Site Builder from there.
How can I copy files from one X10H account (mydomain.NET) to the other X10H account (mydomain.COM)?
Which files should I copy?

Thank you

lylex10h

Reaction score
You don't, because that's a TOS violation (unless educational institution or non-profit).
https://x10hosting.com/legal/terms-of-service
Multiple Accounts
Users detected to have multiple accounts may be suspended without notice. If you are an educational institution or non-profit that will be accessing multiple accounts from a single location please contact us so we can mark your accounts accordingly.

keyston8

Reaction score
I am referring only to one X10H account.
I read that I am permitted to have two addon domains under one X10H account.
I currently use one addon domain for one website, and I'd like to use my other addon domain (in the same X10H account) for a different website.
Is that a violation?

Thank you

addozone

Reaction score
I'd like to try, and see if it works.
How can I copy files from one X10H account (mydomain.NET) to the other X10H account (mydomain.COM)?

You can copy files by opening cPanel and using the file manager.

keyston8

Reaction score
-
no

they will have their own root folder inside folder [ public_html ] and URL will use their domain
###

I currently have one addon domain with X10H. I used Site Builder to create a website for that domain.
I want to use my second addon domain in the same X10H account for a different website.
I'd like to copy my website from the existing addon domain, and paste it into the second addon domain.
My objective is to continue editing the second addon domain with Site Builder after I paste the content from the first addon domain.

How can I copy files from the first addon domain to the second addon domain?

Thanks

raden32

Reaction score
If you are using wordpress, just import/export the content. There is plugin to do it.

keyston8

Reaction score
I am using Site Builder, and don't know how to use wordpress.
Using File Manager, I am seeing a directory titled "sitepro" under the old domain. It seems like this is the Site Builder directory, which I need to copy.
I am planning to do this:
  1. Create a new addon domain under my account.
  2. Use Site Builder to with create one test page (this should create the "sitepro" directory in the new domain, and populate it with the relevant files and inputs)
  3. Copy "sitepro" directory of old domain and paste into new domain
  4. When pasting, in case of duplicate file names, replace only files which where modified recently. Files that were not modified in the old domain since it was created, should not be replaced with the pasted, but rather skipped. (These files probably contain static, domain specific data, which Site Builder created for the new domain)
  5. Start using Site Builder in the new domain
  6. Hope that I will be able to continue editing the site seamlessly with Site Builder
Any thoughts on the actions, or order above?

Second questions, is it possible to send an email to X10H support?

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.