Corey...

Max1337

Reaction score
Hey, Corey (x10Hosting owner)..
May I pm you?
I have a few questions about x10hosting.. and some other x10 related things.

Didn't know where to post this, so I decided here...

DeadBattery

Community Support Team
Community Support
Reaction score
No, you can not PM Corey, he will not look at your PM as he gets many of them and doesn't have time to filter through all of them. (this rule applies to all staff)
You can go onto the IRC channel though. (Click Support Chat on the left-hand sidebar) We will be glad to help you out / answer questions in #offtopic
You can also start a thread in Pre-signup questions. :)

Last edited:

Max1337

Reaction score
I didn't pm him.. I asked if I could

Edit:
What I was going to ask... Is how he started x10...
What he did, how he did it, etc...

That kind of stuff...

I'm kind of interested in trying myself, but I wouldn't know where to start :(
Lol.
I'd like to take advice from someone that done this theirselves...
I am quite smart with computers and networking.. I have a few servers of my own... But there not used for web purposes...

I could help around here if wanted though, I'm usually on my computer working on something.. Since my current job requires use of computer, I work from home lol... So I'd probably be on here 80% of the time.

Last edited:

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
There was actually supposed to be an interview of Corey on x10Radio sometime that had users from this forum ask him questions and he'd answer them. I have no idea when that's going to be airing or put up for download though.

tittat

Reaction score
What I was going to ask... Is how he started x10...
What he did, how he did it, etc...

That kind of stuff...

I'm kind of interested in trying myself, but I wouldn't know where to start :(

Hmm so you are trying to get x10's trade secret? ;)

Max1337

Reaction score
Lol. no :hahano:
I'm serious about this.

Heck, I'd probably even partner with x10 (if possible) :cool:

I think it would be cool to run your own web hosting thing.

Max1337

Reaction score
Lol.
Tried google :|
It don't give me exactly the info you need...
Talking about some 'you need millions of dollars to do this' <-- pfft

I want an easier way :shifty:
Not something that'll cost me more than I can afford.
Something to start off easily, and then grow bigger.
Like, say starting around a few hundred dollars, I can handle that... But millions, no way.

TechAsh

Retired
Reaction score
Well you need to buy a server, then set it up, create a site, attract customers etc.

If you wanted to start small you could run a server from your home (If your ISP allows you to an you have enough bandwidth), or you could buy a server that is provided by another company like Softlayer (The one x10 uses).

Smith6612

Community Support
Reaction score
I'd start off by hosting a home server on a reliable connection that can produce a lot of upload (1.5Mbit + ), and then as your service starts to get hits and your connection starts to get hammered, move to a dedicated server of your own.

Last edited:

Max1337

Reaction score
I host a few servers from home already lol, I got an internet connection with about 100 - 200 MB/sec.. so thats not a problem.

I just don't use the for web purposes... Mostly file servers, an ldap server, proxy server, and an application server.. The software i use for networking is Novell.

I can start off with web hosting, but like.. What software do I use?
I got Apache, MySQL, PHP, and cPanel (I bought my own copy).
Is there any other software you'd recommend me using?

And how would I go configuring this to work with each user/customer?
Lol.
I know A LITTLE bit about cPanel, after using it myself quite a few times.. I looked at WHM on my server, and configured it up a bit..

But what bothers me, is how do I get my webservers ip to turn to a website address without having to use another webhosting companies...
A web address such as http://FutureStarTechnologies.net (right now I made it an Intranet address on my network with my proxy servers DNS settings)...

Do I register the domain under my servers IP?

And how would I go getting people to it... Spamming? lol
I can put it on search engines, I've already done that for my x10 site..
Put it on Google, Yahoo, and MSN/Live.

And would anyone come use my services?
Offering free services wouldnt be that easy, I can start one plan with free, but the rest would have to be paid (I'd have to pay the electric bill somehow lol).. Already with my servers, since I put them up.. My electric bill doubled.
My internet aint really a problem, because its bill don't go by how much I use it.

I set up a web server with a Quad-Core Opteron processor (which most of my servers use)... And quite a lot of RAM, about 16 GB. With a few hard drives attached, using RAID technology.. With about 8 TB total space.

Plus, I would need some good staff people to help me out (I can't manage it all by myself).
Edit:
And why does my IP get blacklisted on x10 sometimes for?
It wont let me connect sometimes (I know my nets working fine)..
Since my proxy server lets me randomly get another IP (I host about 3 proxy servers.. so that's 3 different IP's).. I usually switch between proxies to get back on..

My proxy server gives me this error message when I try to reconnect.

Website Un-Available
Your request could not be fulfilled, because the connection to forums.x10hosting.com (67.228.168.188) could not be established.

Lol.

Last edited:

Smith6612

Community Support
Reaction score
I host a few servers from home already lol, I got an internet connection with about 100 - 200 MB/sec.. so thats not a problem.

I just don't use the for web purposes... Mostly file servers, an ldap server, proxy server, and an application server.. The software i use for networking is Novell.

I can start off with web hosting, but like.. What software do I use?
I got Apache, MySQL, PHP, and cPanel (I bought my own copy).
Is there any other software you'd recommend me using?

And how would I go configuring this to work with each user/customer?
Lol.
I know A LITTLE bit about cPanel, after using it myself quite a few times.. I looked at WHM on my server, and configured it up a bit..

But what bothers me, is how do I get my webservers ip to turn to a website address without having to use another webhosting companies...
A web address such as http://FutureStarTechnologies.net (right now I made it an Intranet address on my network with my proxy servers DNS settings)...

Do I register the domain under my servers IP?

And how would I go getting people to it... Spamming? lol
I can put it on search engines, I've already done that for my x10 site..
Put it on Google, Yahoo, and MSN/Live.

And would anyone come use my services?
Offering free services wouldnt be that easy, I can start one plan with free, but the rest would have to be paid (I'd have to pay the electric bill somehow lol).. Already with my servers, since I put them up.. My electric bill doubled.
My internet aint really a problem, because its bill don't go by how much I use it.

Plus, I would need some good staff people to help me out (I can't manage it all by myself)

1: Fiber Optic Line from Cogent/Level 3/Telia/Global Crossing/Verizon Business/Time Warner Telecom/etc? That's some serious stuff right there if so.

2: To mange cPanel accounts, x10Hosting uses WHM which is a package that includes cPanel that will manage and provision accounts. As for auto account creation, some scripts will be needed for that.

Last edited:

Max1337

Reaction score
1: Fiber Optic Line from Cogent/Level 3/Telia/Global Crossing/Verizon Business/Time Warner Telecom/etc? That's some serious stuff right there if so.

2: To mange cPanel accounts, x10Hosting uses WHM which is a package that includes cPanel that will manage and provision accounts. As for auto account creation, some scripts will be needed for that.

Yea.. But # 2 is the problem..
How would I code the script to make it do an auto account creation? :happysad:

Does it involve PHP? or MySQL?

Smith6612

Community Support
Reaction score
You'd need to ask someone here over at x10 about that. I have no idea honestly since I'm not a software developer. My guess it would require some software hooks with a combination of PHP/MySQL

Last edited:

jsobeck

Reaction score
I can help you out there.... I actually do have this running, it's a piece of software called iPanel. Yeah, it's some money, but it is worth it if you are really serious about doing this.

You set up the server access in the admin panel, and when someone signs up for a package it auto creates in WHM/cPanel.

Max1337

Reaction score
Hmm..
I was looking at IspConfig earlier.. and tried it on a virtual machine before anything, and now I'm confused...
This is a confusing piece of software lol

If you know anything about it... pm me, maybe we can work together on this... idk

glendilee

Reaction score
Ok, I think I'm going to include the name corey in my next post, :), I see it gets replies fastttttttt lol
Edit:
Ok, I think I'm going to include the name corey in my next post, :), I see it gets replies fastttttttt lol

oopsss by the way Corey, thanksssss your a genius ;)

Last edited: