Create subdomain on Custom domain

Status
Not open for further replies.

femifitx

Reaction score
Please pardon me if this is already covered somewhere; I did a search and didn't see any leading information.

Here's my situation: I already have a custom domain that's attached to my x10hosting account. The domain is parked, so I'm able to use my custom domain as my URL e.t.c... Everything works perfectly fine with that. However, now, I need to create a custom subdomain on my custom domain (e.g. dance.xyz.com where "xyz" is the nameof my custom domain). How do I go about this? I got some instructions that involved making changes to A records e.t.c... but because I'm using custom nameservers (x10hosting name servers), my DNS records are inactive, so I'm 'unable' to edit them. Hope I'm making sense.

Anyone, please help?

Anna

I am just me
Staff member
Reaction score
With directadmin there is no "parked", their closest equivalent is "Domain Pointer". Domain pointers can however not hold dns or email addresses of their own, but can duplicate what you create on the default domain. So by creating sub.defaultdomain.com you would also get sub.domainpointer.com.

If you however want full control you would need to remove the domain from "Domain Pointer" and under "Domain Setup" use the option "Add New" to add it as an additional, separate, domain. You would then need to copy the contents from your defualt domain (all domains have their own public_html) to the newly added domain if you want to use it for the same content as you do today.

femifitx

Reaction score
Thanks so much for responding, Anna. Truly appreciate your assistance.

I'm stumped on this though. I haven't touched anything in my settings yet since the migration to directadmin and things appear to be working fine as far as my custom domain is concerned. I wouldn't want to risk breaking that by removing and re-adding stuff (especially when I clearly have very limited knowledge about what I'm doing.. lol).

So, just to clarify: are you saying that with the migration, my "parked" domain was moved to a "Domain pointer"? And if so, just creating sub.customdomain.com would automatically create the pointer? Does this then mean I create the subdomain on my hosting service's DNS?

I really don't need any extra control, just need to create a subdomain on my custom domain. Hope I'm making sense...

Anna

I am just me
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, any parked domain would have been converted to a domain pointer in directadmin as that would be the option most similar in end result.

Are you using our name servers? If not you'd also need to create the subdomain for your custom domain at the registrars control panel.
You can only mimic having a subdomain on the custom by creating it on the default domain and using the option to "duplicate to pointers". If you for any reason want to point it elsewhere it would be done in the settings of the default domain, note that I have not tested the outcome if you need to point it elsewhere.

femifitx

Reaction score
I'm actually using cloudflare's nameservers, so it seems the first option you recommended is what I need to look into.

femifitx

Reaction score
Just to update that I finally got this done. The work that needed to be done in my case was outside x10hosting. Thanks again for your kind assistance, Anna.

Status
Not open for further replies.