Develop your site(WP,Joomla etc.) locally in your pc.. (WAMP server method)

nithin kamath

Reaction score
Those who are familiar with wordpress, joomla and other CMS(Content Management Systems) may have noticed that they are full of php scripts and cannot be run locally using a browser like we open an HTML file....
It is because PHP needs server Operating Systems like Apache. PHP is also called as server side scripting..
Now coming to the context, to develop or test any website or blog thet make use of php or some other server side script you need to install A collection of softwares called as WAMP server..
WAMP stands for 'Windows, Apache,MySql,PHP'..
All the above 4 components are essential to run any CMS like wordpress,joomla etc.

You can download and Install the Wamp server from http://www.wampserver.com
after installing the wamp server you will get a 'w' icon in the notifiacation bar click on it to open www directory(same as public_html directory) or php myadmin(for maintaining the databases), mysql terminal(to operate on databases in command mode) etc...

Dead-i

x10Hosting Support Ninja
Community Support
Reaction score
Yeah, while HTML, JavaScript and similar languages are decoded by the browser (client-end), PHP and MySQL need a server to decode it (server-end). I personally prefer XAMPP and it is brilliant; never used WAMP before. :)

Last edited:

wongers

Reaction score
essentially the same thing Dead-i.

is this a thread to get a dicussion going about WAMP and XAMPP or is it a tutorial for people? im not quite sure what we're doing here.

I have a XAMPP and WAMP enviroment though, i have like 12 Virtual Enviroments that I load from time to time when i want to develop or test something depending on the operating system, whether it requires a server and client relationship and the hardware capabilities of certain enviroments.

Think i have WAMP running on 2 enviroments and XAMPP running on 1. i do love the idea of both applications as they make it so easy to set up, so much better than the days of doing it all manually. my word that was a ball ache lol.

Dead-i

x10Hosting Support Ninja
Community Support
Reaction score
@wongers - So which do you think is better: XAMPP or WAMP? I honestly don't quite understand the topic, but I think nithin kamath is simply sharing some helpful software with us.