Disk Space Policy Change

Status
Not open for further replies.

cCorE

Reaction score
I like these limits. Most never need them and it prevents file hosters on x10 servers and thus gives the legit users more bandwidth etc.. It's also cool that one can request unlimited space if needed. I'm from germany, my site is using less than 50 MB and cpanel tells that I still have unlimited disk space. Is this normal? (while I dont' care whether I have 0.5, 1 or unlimited space ATM)

Corey

I Break Things
Staff member
Reaction score
Unmetered and unlimited are two different things. We offer unmetered disk space and bandwidth. The ONLY thing that is being limited on any of our plans is disk space and the limits are easily lifted if you follow the terms of service.

Free hosting files are stored on a SAN, MySQL is ran locally from SSDs.

aviangarage

Reaction score
I'm not even close to 500mb so I'm not worried about it, but if it helps to stop abuse and keep x10 free to use I'm all for it!

Corey

I Break Things
Staff member
Reaction score
Also, we've been free for 7 years... there are no plans to change that. It's nothing to worry about.

mobstermind61

Reaction score
I fully agree with this policy change, great idea, also a great way to keep memory lower for the users that actually use websites the correct way.

cCorE

Reaction score
I like these limits. Most never need them and it prevents file hosters on x10 servers and thus gives the legit users more bandwidth etc.. It's also cool that one can request unlimited space if needed. I'm from germany, my site is using less than 50 MB and cpanel tells that I still have unlimited disk space. Is this normal? (while I dont' care whether I have 0.5, 1 or unlimited space ATM)

khopcraft77

Reaction score
I like it. My site is a flash game site anyways, so no effect here. But it i still a good idea!

kelvinshrek54

Reaction score
I am 100% behind this. Sounds like a great idea. I seems that half the accounts here are against the TOS, so that should mean that those of us running legit sites get more resources.
(As long as I don't have to wait two weeks for my account to get upgraded. Things seem to take eons to process around here...)

True........
But it also applies to file transfer (bandwidth). There is no limit how much your site can be viewed

Uh, isn't there a high-resource usage rule? I've been wondering about that. My site burns through bandwidth like crazy. (Tutorial site, 30+ pictures per page)

Last edited:

Corey

I Break Things
Staff member
Reaction score
There are no bandwidth limits on any of our plans.

We do have high resource usage rules related to CPU utilization though.

Last edited by a moderator:

bigmikelm275

Reaction score
Just a few questions I wish to ask about this:

1. Does this apply to disk usage by SQL databases? Or is that a separate limit/unmetered?

2. Probably a stupid question for me to ask, but does it have to be 500.0MB+? Or can it be just a small bit before 500.0MB, like say, 495.0MB or 499.6MB?

3. Shouldn't high risk countries have a bit of a lower limit, like say 400MB instead of 500MB? This way they won't have to fill up all 500MB of available usage.

Thanks.

simon.evanz48

Reaction score
I think this "Disk Space Policy" is a good Idea, on a couple of points. Most importantly, this policy should at least help to stem the problem of abuse from idiots using this great service for means of streaming warez / hosting illegal content, etc..

This is yet another freedom that has been forced to become restricted due to the minority. I can only say that the Admin crew had the foresight to allow extra disk space upon request to legit websites owners, which is a real positive.

Good work :)

So let me get this straight...
I've had my account here for over a week now.
I'm currently not using 500mb, but my site is not fully uploaded, people told about it, etc.
If I were to reach the 1GB limit, I able to apply for the unlimited again?

* I do not think that is what this policy is trying to put across, re-read the beginning of this thread again..

deyf2928

Reaction score
just give an idea...

clients less than 100mb files must limit to 250mb
clients above 250mb files must limit to 500mb
clients above 450mb files must limit to 1000mb

i wanna ask if this will fix the
Response: 552 Disk full - please upload later
Error: Critical file transfer error

StarWallace

Reaction score
I'm confused... I just checked my CPanel and I still have unmetered diskspace... I'm not complaining, 'cause I don't even used 200mb for my site lol, so the 1GB limit is just fine by me. However it doesn't seem to affect me. Just a little odd is all.

xyzj196279

Reaction score
The New Disk Space Policy Change is very good
currently mine limit is 500mb but i only use 61.34 Mb

GtoXic

x10 Support
Reaction score
will this stop the constant 522 errors now then? That's been getting pretty darn annoying over the last few weeks before this was added.

Corey

I Break Things
Staff member
Reaction score
will this stop the constant 522 errors now then? That's been getting pretty darn annoying over the last few weeks before this was added.

Once we catch up on maintenance it will be resolved permanently.

Status
Not open for further replies.