Error: REMOTE_ADDR not set, PHP Backup Script

TechAsh

Retired
Reaction score
I'm having problems with a PHP backup script I use. It is run daily via a cron job, and it's job is to create a gzip backup of my databases, then save it on the server and also e-mail me a copy.

The error I'm getting is:
ALERT - function within blacklist called: mail() (attacker 'REMOTE_ADDR not set', file '/home/techash/backups/mysql/files/phpmysqlautobackup_extras.php', line 22)

Here is the contents of 'phpmysqlautobackup_extras.php':
PHP:
<?php
$phpMySQLAutoBackup_version="1.4.0";

function has_data($value)
{
 if (is_array($value)) return (sizeof($value) > 0)? true : false;
 else return (($value != '') && (strtolower($value) != 'null') && (strlen(trim($value)) > 0)) ? true : false;
}

function xmail ($to_emailaddress,$from_emailaddress, $subject, $content, $file_name, $backup_type)
{
 $mail_attached = "";
 $boundary = "----=_NextPart_000_01FB_010".md5($to_emailaddress);
 $mail_attached.="--".$boundary."\n"
                       ."Content-Type: application/octet-stream;\n name=\"$file_name\"\n"
                       ."Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64\n"
                       ."Content-Disposition: attachment; \n filename=\"$file_name\"\n\n"
                       .chunk_split(base64_encode($content))."\n";
 $mail_attached .= "--".$boundary."--\n";
 $add_header ="MIME-Version: 1.0\nContent-Type: multipart/mixed;\n        boundary=\"$boundary\" \n\n";
 $mail_content="--".$boundary."\n"."Content-Type: text/plain; \n charset=\"iso-8859-1\"\n"."Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit\n\nMySQL BACKUP Successful...\n\nPlease see attached for your zipped Backup file; $backup_type \n".$mail_attached;
 return mail($to_emailaddress, $subject, $mail_content, "From: $from_emailaddress\nReply-To:$from_emailaddress\n".$add_header);
}

function write_backup($gzdata, $backup_file_name)
{
 $fp = fopen(LOCATION."../backups/".$backup_file_name, "w");
 fwrite($fp, $gzdata);
 fclose($fp);
}
?>

Please can someone tell me what to do to make it work.

P.S. It was working fine up till 3rd March, and I don't think I have changed anything near that line to make it stop working.

bonzo meier

Reaction score
if this script is run on x10, check your php-configuration in the account panel - if you run basic configuration, mail() is disabled.

the only other thing i could think about (regarding the error you quoted) is that $to_emailaddress is not passed correctly to the xmail-function...

but maybe you can specify a little more what the problem is. i figure you are getting an error message. but: is the gzip created and stored or not? and is it being sent or not?

peace, bonzo

TechAsh

Retired
Reaction score
I've got PHP version 2 (Intermediate).

The thing is it was working fine a couple of days ago, and I haven't modified it for a while.

The gzip backup is not being saved or sent (The script gives this error before it saved the file.)

This line is causing the error:
PHP:
return mail($to_emailaddress, $subject, $mail_content, "From: $from_emailaddress\nReply-To:$from_emailaddress\n".$add_header);
And this bit saves the file:
PHP:
function write_backup($gzdata, $backup_file_name)
{
 $fp = fopen(LOCATION."../backups/".$backup_file_name, "w");
 fwrite($fp, $gzdata);
 fclose($fp);
}
So the script encounters a problem before it saves the file.

I can't really provide much more information about the error (I'm not very good at php)

Last edited:

TechAsh

Retired
Reaction score
Can anyone help?

I've commented out the bit that sends the e-mail and everything else works, but I would like it to e-mail me the backup files.

Last edited: