F.e.a.r.

Jigzo

Reaction score
Is F.E.A.R. any good? i might be getting it today i was just wondering if its a waste of cash or not

lxchar2005

Reaction score
i played the free multi player client from gamespy of f.e.a.r. sure its ok but not sure about the retail.

Jigzo

Reaction score
would you give it a thumbs up or a thumbs down? ive heard its pretty good im not sure cos i havent played it has anyone got it?

Livewire

Abuse Compliance Officer
Staff member
Reaction score
FEAR, FEAR: Extraction Point, FEAR: Combat (multiplayer one, comes with EP if memory serves), or FEAR: Perseus Mandate?

FEAR is 100% worth the cash. Extraction Point is an expansion that requires the first FEAR to be installed, that ones not worth it as much (5 intervals only as opposed to 10).

FEAR: Perseus Mandate is a standalone, and from where I'm at in it I'm loving it. This one's likely the most pricy though - it just came out the other day. It also requires 7.23GB of hd space to install. If I'm not mistaken, thats more than FEAR, FEAR Extraction Point, and FEAR Combat occupy on the disc TOTAL

My recommendation: If you can find FEAR: Gold, grab that - that includes FEAR, and FEAR: Extraction Point. Around here it's also cheaper to get them bundled like that than to buy them separately :)

The other recommendation is to try watching some gameplay vids or get the demo; FEAR: Combat (the multiplayer version) is free to play if memory serves, but you will NOT get the FEAR experience from it - the whole point to it isn't to make it a deathmatch. The whole point is to figure out what Project Origin is (or in the latest one, what the heck Perseus is).

I'd definitely spend the $$$ on it. Only thing to keep in mind: FEAR: PM can be a bit cranky when installing - the guys at Sierra screwed up the installer big time, so it likes to install to Drive C:, then copy to whatever drive you actually wanted it installed on. Theres a registry hack available on their own tech support forums to fix that, but once installed it runs like a dream :)

Hope that helps!

Last edited:

goodsnpr

Reaction score
I didn't much care for the single player, but thats just me... as for the multiplayer... thats what the FEAR Combat is for :biggrin:

Livewire

Abuse Compliance Officer
Staff member
Reaction score
*BUMP*

Just finished FEAR: PM.

Yeah. Finished. The thing takes up the same amount of space as FEAR and FEAR: Extraction Point do and it's less than half as long (FEAR and FEAR XP = 15 intervals/chapters; fear PM is 7).

Gotta say, it didn't feel like a FEAR game at all. If you're looking for fear, find it in the first game and expansion - do NOT shell out the extra cash for this uninspired winnebago-full-of-bull....You get the idea.

Breakdown: It's just another sci-fi game. I'm ashamed to even THINK that I was hyping this up when it's just this...Mediocre.

It's missing the twists in the plot FEAR had, it's missing the "almas-screwing-with-your-mind" moments (it has a few, but ONLY a few), its missing the sense of friendship between you and other members in your team.

I can't actually think of anything to say thats up-and-beyond what I'd expect from a pre-existing franchise thats growing bigger. For what FEAR started out as, it's really going downhill right now.

Heres hoping Project Origin (the original makers don't own the FEAR name - FEAR 2 is NOT going to be the sequel to this - its called Project Origin) revives my hope in this series, or it's going right next to the slew of others that outlived their welcome LONG ago.

Corey

I Break Things
Staff member
Reaction score
Are the graphics updated in PM or is it the same engine as the original FEAR just a different story line?

GamingX

Executive Team
Reaction score
From what I have heard about it, I think it's a great game.

Jigzo

Reaction score
lol i think the graphics are the same corey i think they use the same engine but im not 100% sure

Last edited:

Livewire

Abuse Compliance Officer
Staff member
Reaction score
Are the graphics updated in PM or is it the same engine as the original FEAR just a different story line?

Might be a few graphical improvements, but near as I can tell it's running off of the FEAR: Extraction Point engine (noticed that by using the cheat "tears" - in FEAR, it still required you to reload your weapon even though you had infinite ammo. tears in PM does NOT require reloading, which is how it worked in Extraction Point).

Different story line is the part thats absolutely killing the game; the continuity through Interval 3 is ok, but only if you've played the first two - from there it plays identical to any other run-of-the-mill game.

Edit: I should clarify on the graphical improvements: theres a few places where they changed the formula from FEAR slightly (such as one entire area where the corridor splits into 3 pieces and begins revolving around you). Other than that and the floor-grabbers (I won't spoil those), theres not much thats changed graphically.

Might be more blood though; seems Alma's back and still pissed :p

Last edited: