Facebook blacklist: X10 hosting!

xpresitnet79

Reaction score
I can't link my X10 Hoated Site on Facebook because they have black listed you guys.

"The link you are trying to visit has been reported as abusive by Facebook users. To learn more about staying safe on the internet, visit Facebook's Security Page. Please also read the Wikipedia articles on malware and phishing."

I personally think X10 should sue them for defamation of character. To hold the actions of one of your users against the entire service (and its probably an incident that lasted a whole 10 seconds before you removed the offending user and eliminated the problem) is pretty low. You won't see them doing this to YouTube or Amazon.com. Or how about AOL? Or MySpace? Why? Lawyers!

Facebook doesn't want to get sued by fish bigger than itself, if you get my meaning.

I think you should have your legal staff write them in a few threats. That would probably be enough to resolve this.

SierraAR

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Just out of curiousity, what's the domain name you tried linking? They perform their blacklists by domains, if I recall

cybrax

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
There's an old saying about the Gods must like idiots, because they make so many of them.

Those who attempt to run proxy scripts, mass mailers, file sharing services, phishing sites and perform other neferious doings on the servers here are swiftly identified judging by the 'suspended' area of Help & Support alas there is a constant stream of them. So I'm afraid until the Internet runs out of 'script-kddies' then the free hosting here and elswhere is allways going to be on some blacklist.

Workarounds for this problem have been covered in previous threads and a forum search should turn up some useful tips. Personally I like to run a redirect through either one of the Google free sites or the App Engine as you can be damm sure FaceBook doesn't want to pick a fight with that particular web giant.

Livewire

Abuse Compliance Officer
Staff member
Reaction score
No actually they blocked it after dozens of phishing pages for Facebook and Zynga got linked on their services. They had every legitimate reason to block us - I don't appreciate them doing so mind you, but they had legitimate reasons.

Sharky

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
303853_10150425673476253_590881252_10762840_547261239_n.jpg

xav0989

Community Public Relation
Community Support
Reaction score
I believe they do both IP and domain blocks. Myself, when in need of posting a link to facebook typically use a URL shortener service such as bit.ly.

Avegaille

Reaction score
Odd, I was able to post my fanlisting link to Facebook and they didn't block it... o__o;;;

Maybe it might depend on the domain or something?

xpresitnet79

Reaction score
No actually they blocked it after dozens of phishing pages for Facebook and Zynga got linked on their services. They had every legitimate reason to block us - I don't appreciate them doing so mind you, but they had legitimate reasons.

No disrespect intended, but when you have a legitimate reason to kill a fly, you do not do so using a thermonuclear bomb.

X10 provides SUBDOMAINS rather than http://crap-host.ext/username style structures. If their hundreds of millions of dollars can't buy Facebook the ability, clarity of vision and common sense to just block the offending SUBDOMAIN then this tells me that their ACTIONS are illegitimate even if their REASONS are legitimate.

They will NOT block MySpace, Yahoo, etc for similar offences and we all know this. Like any PREDATOR, they will not go after a target capable of offering immediate and equal (or superior) resistance to the attack.

They will go after companies such as yours -- who have the legal power to EVENTUALLY get themselves unblocked, but who do not have the ability to immediately drop the hammer hard on their heads. Let them block Windows Live Spaces or some other service with a multi-billion dollar budget and they will find a locust swarm of lawyers descending upon them faster than Facebook could keep up with -- and they know it.

So even if a company has a large number of offending users -- if that company is a fortune 500 giant, they will not get screwed with and their users will be allowed to continue to get away with their BS, for as long as the host company decides to allow them to, or not.

So the actions of Facebook are overkill, lacking in professionalism and integrity and legit reasons to take action or not, their actions are illegitimate and unnecessary. I am sure X10 has the ability to block offenders based on subdomains without holding the root domain provider in contempt. If X10 has this ability without the billions of dollars that Facebook has then SURELY Facebook more than has the ability to make wiser choices and more professional and tactful actions and policies.

silverbird775

Reaction score
xpresitnet79,

Actually they could.
For some respected forums (just let aside incomparable scale of businesses okay?) i was amazed to discover the whole first level domains banned. That i say is killing the forementioned fly with a doomsday warp hole.

Some things cannot be objectionable. In business too. Whoever pays always have the upper hand. I see the bitter speaks in you but there is nothing can be done on our part besides supporting one contender or another. Behind such a strong moves there is always some high ranked person's feeling, thier shaken honor. The regular phishing pages is a strong enough reason for a saint man to go berserk. For a business man this is even more a truth. This one is a personal feeling and so it could not be objected. Honor, reputation or whatever you name it.

Even the x10's own country rules are the perfect example of the above thought. On the grand scale they are alike personal feeling towards abuse experience and so they could not be objected also. For a business this is even more a truth.

So nope. Not sure the predator metaphor fits the case. You're correct though the predator calculates but in this aspect those decisions are unexpected not plotted, thus emotional.

Well.. could have said better in native.

Corey

I Break Things
Staff member
Reaction score
Our fraud detection and scanning have come a long way since the initial bans... when we're comfortable with our level of detection for phishing sites we will do all we can to get the bans lifted. We do not want to have the bans lifted only to have them applied again shortly after as I'm sure they will not want to lift them again. We're constantly adding to and modifying our detection systems, unfortunately it does take a while for us to gather data on what affect each change has had. I feel it is something we should be able to look into in 3 or so months.