Favorite Operating System

Which is your favorite operating system?

• Windows Vista

Votes: 18 15.1%
  • Windows XP

Votes: 46 38.7%
  • Windows 2000

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • Windows Me

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Windows 98

• Linux

Votes: 35 29.4%
  • Unix

• SunOS

• Mac

Votes: 6 5.0%
  • Other

Votes: 12 10.1%

• Total voters

worldwise001

Reaction score
Windows-wise I prefer 2000 or XP. XP is pretty much 2000 with themes, and right now, support (Microsoft took away 2000 support last summer :/).

Linux-wise I like Slackware. Right now I dual-boot my laptop with XP MCE and Slackware 12.0. I have pretty much the same functionality between OSs, so... whichever I feel like I'll boot into. I also have Slack on my home server; it's fun to mess with, easy to set up, and not as huge as other distros (like Fedora).

Ryutso

Reaction score
I have to switch back and forth pretty often. I use Vista on my laptop, XP on my desktop and Fedora at my dad's house, cause he's a Linux geek.

However, when I can't stand Linux because I'm NOT a linux geek, I boot into the window's partition on his computer that I secretly installed.

jjohall2000

Reaction score
I really do not understand why people hate Windows vista? I have it on my machine and it has not crashed once, i have had windows xp crash on me more times. the only reason that i can think of is becasue people are installing it on machine that cannnot cope with the version of vista which they have purchased. I kown there was compatiblity issues when it was first released but its now over a year later and i have had know problems with old software and hardware.

wolf693

Reaction score
It's a toss-up between Linux and XP for me. I don't mind Vista though! I voted XP simply because it's what I've used for a long time and what I'm most comfortable with!

terakoh

Reaction score
Voted XP and sure enough, it's the winner in the votes for now. Have not used Vista before so not sure if it's better than XP, but I like my XP so there's no need to change for now. =P

kkenny

Reaction score
Trust me, Vista is OK for personal use, but when you want to start testing webservers/gameservers or get into heavy duty use, Linux or XP will better handle those processes.

Twinkie

Banned
Reaction score
Surprised that Windows is winning. I guess it is not so hated after all. I must agree, XP is the most stable, but I like Vista's graphical interface, so I don't change it. But since I realized Vista does not support my graphics card, I will be going back to XP shortly.

Stormscape

Reaction score
Well I'd hardly call this a very large sample size. Get this poll into the thousands in terms of responses and you'll see a trend emerge.

struni

Reaction score
Well, I like Windows XP very much. Very fast and reliable operating system on my hardware.
I love Ubuntu linux also. I am using them with dual booting in my system.

BlueIce

Reaction score
I can't really tell because I've only tried Win 95, 98, ME, and XP. But it would really be cool to try OS X or Ubuntu.

tgkprog

Reaction score
xp workws fine but i keep hearing linux is better over all but too usd to the interface and mail clients n windows

Hauzer

Reaction score
Windows XP in my opinion is an amazing Operating System, it's perfect for your everyday work.

Vista is very attracting I have to say, very. But it's not too good on features, but it's not bad.

Im not really fond of Macintosh very much, but i'd say it's best used for media and such, things like Graphics, Animation and such.

Overall, Windows XP is the best.

javajenius

Reaction score
Vista is better then xp, much better graphics. All of you who say windows xp is better, you need to upgrade lol.

Linux and Mac... :thefinger, lol joking.

Last edited:

tnl2k7

Banned
Reaction score
Right, everyone I know thinks I'm a fanboy and should be shot because of my rather strong opinions in the OS world. But, my reasons are, as far as I can see, justified.

I've been a Windows user since I was 6. That's 8 years, by the way. My grandad built me a basic, but powerful enough PC back in 1999 - 2000 sort of time, with 32MB RAM, and it was running Windows 98, with a not-to-bad Pentium III, I think...bit of a long time ago.

Anyways that was the first computer I ever used. I was mesmorised by it, intrigued. It was pretty simple to pick up and I was using office applications and everything with pretty good knowledge of them in no time at all.

Then I learned about the Internet, from an AOL (yuck!) advert. I nagged my mum loads and eventually I got AOL dialup. Painfully slow, but it was enough, then. I wasn't using Azureus and DownThemAll back then.

One day when I came to use the computer to surf a bit, it was really slow, much more so than usual. I noticed weird things happen, popups would appear, which I now know to be adware. I got frustrated, but I formatted the PC under my grandad's supervision, and got it set up and running again in no time.

Then I upgraded.......no.......downgraded :p to Windows ME. At first, nothing was wrong and all went really well. But then I tried to install some new RAM, and got blue screens of death over and over. I tried to recover the system, and failed.

Recently (last couple of years), I've been looking into the power of the Linux desktop. I've used Ubuntu, Mandriva, Vector, and openSUSE, and I like them all. I do still use Vista and XP, but the eye candy in Vista sucks compared to that of compiz fusion in openSUSE. The system gets no malware, partly because not many use it (relativiely, that is) and it may have something to do with the secure shell everything runs in, I'm not a programmer so I couldn't tell you.

But to cut a long story short, Linux is customisable, pretty, and powerful, not to mention secure. Sure it can be a pain in the backside sometimes, but so can Windows and OS X.

Socius

Reaction score
Windows XP, because you can play C&C on it ^^ and because most games are made for it
(Not Vista because even 'Vista games' don't work well on Vista :/ Luckily I tried out Vista at a friends and didn't 'downgrade' my XP to Vista...
It could be Mac, for work, but only Diablo II works on that one :p
(disclaimer: I know there are many games for Mac, but just not the ones I like)

Madrox

Reaction score
Windows XP
i dont use the unix, linux ETC, but i just tested various other and the windows xp is the best!
the window vista is a bad system, sorry Bill Gates...xD

FalseHope

Reaction score
Windows XP is compatible with most things, which makes it a great os, unlike Vista, which totally sucks.

ThePaintGuru

Reaction score
I like a bunch of obscure OSes, but I've been particularly impressed with NeXTStep and QNX, if anyone's heard of them.

NeXTStep was made in the 80s, but way ahead of its time. It is the basis of Mac OSX, but without all the crappy interface garbage.

QNX is very small, it can fit on and run from a floppy, but with a full graphical interface. DSLinux can't fit in that space.

kkenny

Reaction score
You do know that DSLinux is more advanced in QNX because QNX is like ancient now. The developers gave up on it (I think) so DSL is > QNX.

Isaac20

Reaction score
Linux is great, I tried it for a couple of months but when you're a gamer there's really no comparison to Windows. I'm using XP now but I'll probably switch to Vista once they iron out the rest of the kinks.