File Sync program for Linux

ichwar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Alright, I really need to start backing up my files. I use Mozy, a GREAT free backup program that backsup all my stuff to online. But now that I spend most of my time on Linux, most of my files are on my linux partition, and since windows doesn't read linux, Mozy is no good for linux...

Also, because of the ENORMOUS sizes of some of the files that I have to keep backed up regularly, I can't use an online backup for Linux either.

So, what I need is a program for Linux, that will AUTOMATICLY and REGULARLY make a backup of certain folders and files from my main internal hard drive to my external USB hard drive.

I need this software to be FREE. And by free, I mean freeware, NOT pirated software.

Does anyone know of anything that meets these three requirements?

Thanks in advance!:biggrin:

xPlozion

Reaction score
well, you can make a simple script to copy your home directory and use a cron to make it run daily ;)

that or tar it, and then use a command line ftp to login (if it's ftp), and upload it.

Last edited:

ichwar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
well, you can make a simple script to copy your home directory and use a cron to make it run daily ;)

that or tar it, and then use a command line ftp to login (if it's ftp), and upload it.

The ftp won't work because the files are too big for my bandwith speed.

But making the script to copy my home directory would work... ...if I knew how ;)

IonCannon218

Reaction score
I had a similar problem, but I looked in the Add/Remove Programs

I found Unison and it's great.

ichwar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
I had a similar problem, but I looked in the Add/Remove Programs

I found Unison and it's great.

That doesn't work for me because it won't let me back up to my external hard drive. The only options it gives me are: Local, SSH, RSH, Socket.
None of these are my external hard drive, so that doesn't really work.

Thanks anyways!

xPlozion

Reaction score
well, under linux terms, local should be any harddrive connected to the computer. internal or external.

depending on the kernel your linux os uses, hdds are listed as either sda or hda in /dev/. what you could do, and remember what i said earlier, edit /etc/fstab and add the location to the external drive to the list with the proper settings (format type, location, where it'll be mounted (/mnt/backup/) and other settings. setting it to either automount (if it's always connected, or so as a regular user you could type mount /mnt/backup/, or have it do that as part of the sh script ;)).

here's what I would do under archlinux:
Code:
#!/bin/bash

mount /dev/hdb1 /mnt/backup
tar czf /mnt/backup/backup.tar.gz

now, obviously the code will have issues, because it doesn't have a timestamp at the end of it (which i'm not good at sh programming, but that's a basic almost working example of how it would go ;)

good luck