Firefox loses ground to IE

subvertman

Reaction score
Firefox's market share slipped last month for the first time since the alternative browser began its battle to offer a popular alternative to Microsoft's ubiqitous Internet Explorer software. This consistent growth suffered a set-back when Firefox fell back from 8.71 per cent market share in June to 8.07 per cent in July, acording to web analytics firm NetApplications. Over the same period Microsoft's share rose from 86.56 per cent in June to 87.2 per cent in July, so Firefox's loss was Microsoft's gain.

NetApplications mentions Mozilla decision to launch a commercial arm in explaining why some might have gone back to using IE. Other theories could include an end to the "honeymoon factor" and recent security problems tarnishing Firefox's image as a more secure alternative to IE. NetApplications' stats comes from a survey of 40,000 customers of NetApplications Web site montoring service.

Monthly browser share figures, from NetApplications

• Microsoft Internet Explorer - 87.2 per cent
  • FireFox - 8.07 per cent
  • Safari - 2.13 per cent
  • Netscape - 1.50 per cent
  • Opera - 0.49 per cent
  • Mozilla - 0.5 2per cent
  • Other - 0.09 per cent

N

Nathan

My website statistics follow this post.

Unknown
18.23% 115

Opera 8.0
0.16% 1

Netscape 8.0.2
0.16% 1

Netscape 7.2
0.32% 2

Netscape
1.90% 12
MS Internet Explorer 7.0
0.16% 1

MS Internet Explorer 7.0
0.16% 1

MS Internet Explorer 6.0
18.86% 119

Mozilla Firefox 1.0.6
30.90% 195

Mozilla Firefox 1.0.5
14.58% 92

Mozilla Firefox 1.0.4
9.03% 57

Mozilla Firefox 1.0.3
0.63% 4

Mozilla Firefox 1.0.2
1.58% 10

Mozilla Firefox 1.0.1
0.48% 3

Mozilla Firefox 1.0
0.48% 3

Mozilla Firefox 0.9.3
0.16% 1

Mozilla Firefox 0.8.0
0.16% 1

Mozilla Firefox 0.10.1
0.16% 1

Mozilla 5.0
0.79% 5

Mozilla 4.0
1.11% 7

Akkarin

Reaction score
Probably would be a bit more, readable Dewayne without the different Firefox versions.

Firefox shouldn't be put down by this I think, since M$ released they're IE7 Betas or whatever, more people have been testing it maybe?
Plus there are people that are a bit illiterate in the world of computers who just use what software comes with there PC and that usually is IE, unless they have somin like AOL or Netscape as a ISP.

I wonder if FF is ever going to get almost level with IE. It would probably be if IE was proved very unreliable. Even more than it is already.

MicrotechXP

Reaction score
YAY Go Ie. Pretty soon IE 7 will come out and it will take back all the shares. Thanks for the update.

subvertman

Reaction score
Could this be because of the IE7 Beta? Although it is a loss, it seems like a small loss

chaganlal1

Reaction score
To me IE isnt really gaining ground but firefox is just behind in the amount of shares. But as always there is a HUGE gap between IE and Firefox but in a few months that might chance. I still believe one day firefox will be windows default browser :)

Wai_Wai

Banned
Reaction score
If IE 7 non-beta (final) is released, there may be fewer reasons to persuade IE people into Firefox.
IE 7 has tabbed browsing and also other features, supposed to be safer, can browser (nearly) 100% without problems, and after all, it's Microsoft (which iss advantageous due to its position in the market).

So if IE 7 is released finally, I may expect a drop in Firefox. Although not most Firefox users will leave, there will be some of them. I may expect a drop of 3-4% if the situation goes worse.

It's time for Firefox to do something, or IE 7 is going to take back its lost shares.
Is it a dream to break through 10% for Firefox in near future?

PS: the above is my personal idea only. I may be wrong. No need to take it seriously.

Wai_Wai

Banned
Reaction score
Could this be because of the IE7 Beta? Although it is a loss, it seems like a small loss

I think so.
I don't think the news of Mozilla decision to become commercial doesn't really hurt. Right now, our Firefox is still safe :p (We don't need to see ads; we don't need to pay for it) Otherwise, I will expect a dramatic drop in market shares (maybe 0.5- % only).

carlos2

Reaction score
to me IE is really gay it awalys crashs my pc and pop ups so even if they updated no one likes it FireFox owns i just gotit 3 days ago wehn i remoated my pc form the crashs of IE

dumbedout

Reaction score
i'll be a firefox guy as long as it exists... too many bad ie experiences have made me sick just looking at the logo, let alone the browser actually open...

Wai_Wai

Banned
Reaction score
IE6 is used to be very bad. But how will IE7 perform? The same crap as IE6, orr else?
We will know when it finally releases.

To me, I never have bad experiences to IE. Still I switch away from it.
Reason: Potential Security Concern, Lack of Features...

Last edited:

Conor

Reaction score
You can't expect Firefox to come in after 1 year or so and totally take over the market. It will take time. IE is a very established browser and won't go down immedietly. Microsoft will put up a fight.

Wai_Wai

Banned
Reaction score
Conor said:
You can't expect Firefox to come in after 1 year or so and totally take over the market. It will take time. IE is a very established browser and won't go down immedietly. Microsoft will put up a fight.
I wonder the biggest advantage IE has is that it is bundled with Windows, and so people won't bother to change. If it is no longer the case, I expect IE suffers from a great loss in market shares unless it works hard to improves itself.

Vietkid58

Reaction score
one thing peple swithc to Firefox for is tabbed browsing... if IE has this, then not many ppl will stick with firefox but probalby will swtich back...

Wai_Wai

Banned
Reaction score
Vietkid58 said:
one thing peple swithc to Firefox for is tabbed browsing... if IE has this, then not many ppl will stick with firefox but probalby will swtich back...
But if they use Firefox for a long time, why bother to switch back?
The situation may not be that dark. I would expect only a small percentage of switch-back due to this reason. :p

rainboiboi

Reaction score
Yeah. As long as the new IE 7 is released and patched, I will switch back to IE. Currently using
Firefox. And always experiencing browser problem. Some sort of browser imcompatible. Kinda sick of it.

Wai_Wai

Banned
Reaction score
rainboiboi said:
Yeah. As long as the new IE 7 is released and patched, I will switch back to IE. Currently using
Firefox. And always experiencing browser problem. Some sort of browser imcompatible. Kinda sick of it.
You may also consider using both browsers at the same time.
I will only view by IE when the websites are IE-orientated.

To me, the features/things provided from different third-party plugins add a lot of functionality to my browsing experience AND solve some problems within the browser itself.
IE7 simply cannot provide all these things I get. So it is hardly an alternative to me.