firefox vs. ie (not really much competition)

Status
Not open for further replies.

xflarex

Reaction score
It seems perfectly obvious to me that firefox is by far the better of the 2, but strangely enough i still hear people arguing that internet explorer is better. i think that this is a good time to settle the issue. so is there any1 who can give me any good reasons to choose ie over firefox. good luck:thefinger

Sohail

Reaction score
One of the reasons were that Internet Explorer copied the idea of tabbed browsing. No matter what Microsoft do - Firefox will always remain the best browser on the web. Theres no comparison between the two!

Slothie

Reaction score
I'm a big fan of myie2 actually :)

Now know as maxthon or maxathon ( Can't remember for the life of me )

xflarex

Reaction score
slothie this is the crossfire, ur supposed to have prove ur point and thoroughly answer the question. my point in this topic is to understand why anyone would want to use internet explorer, besides just being to lazy to download and install firefox which is safer, faster, and compatible with more web pages

i wasnt flaming u, but i would would be happy if you would submit another post to prove your point

alexandgruntz

Reaction score
I use Firefox, because it has better customizability (if that makes sense lol), has a wider range of addons, is more secure, and patches come out quickly (within a couple of days). IE will never be that good.

Agenator

Reaction score
Hate to be the odd ball but I much prefer IE7 over Firefox. There are a couple of reasons: if you look closely IE7 has security that is on par with Firefox, IE7 has an (IMO) slicker interface, especially while working in Vista, and IE7 has easier access to tabs, yes they stole those from FF but its easier to create a new tab (by clicking the little button) in IE instead of having to go through menus and finding the tabs button. IMO the only thing FF wins out on is that it has w3 compatability and it has all of the addons. But still IE wins out just becuase It is much better designed (IE 7 only not previous versions). If you ask any current computer expert now adays the will probably say about the same thing. I actually have both installed on my computer so I can do the things that FF does and the things that IE does whenever I want to. I suggest that you just do the same and then you dont have to decide which ones better cuz ull have both.

xflarex

Reaction score
ty, agenator those are good points, and generally ff and ie have about equal security, but firefox can easily be customized to have stronger security.

i also have both firefox and ie. i use firefox as my main browser, and internet explorer when i want a clearer screen with less addons.

your computer expert theory isnt as accurate tho. my uncle Ken works on computers for NSA (it is annoyingas hell tat every time i ask a ? he says he cant answer) he actually refuses to have ie installed on his computer at home or work

annabult

Reaction score
I am a fan of FF too for several reasons :
* historically, it was more stable than IE, even if now IE has improved
* It was the first with the tab's
* customisation is definitively better
* plugins like Fireftp ... It is very easy to use ...
* to develop a Website, even if it recommended to test a website on several Web Browser, several OS, etc ... first test it on FF ... it really more W3 compliant ...
* in general I am against the dictature of Microsoft products

and indeed I need both ... for some web site, some web designers are using Microsoft API's in their code .... :-(

Slothie

Reaction score
It wasn't the the first browser with tabs, I think it was NetCaptor I think i used it like 10 years ago or something

ryanswj

Reaction score
I think firefox is better, IE is unsafe, see www.browsehappy.com. Real stories on people over there.

I'm not sure if anyone has posted about this... but firefox is better, except a little sluggish sometimes.

Thewinator

Reaction score
IE7 has an (IMO) slicker interface, especially while working in Vista, and IE7 has easier access to tabs, yes they stole those from FF but its easier to create a new tab (by clicking the little button) in IE instead of having to go through menus and finding the tabs button.
First of all IE7 looks rubbish IMO just get Firefox and download a nice theme for it.
Second you can add the new tab button to the toolbar!
(Right mouse button any blank part of the toolbar like next to the help button, click customise, drag the new tab button anywhere you like on your toolbar)
Speaking of design IE7 is still not w3 compatable and screws up with the stupidest of things.
One clear example. Making a div or table 100% width (with html attribute or with css) it doesn't fill entirely.
You would have to make it 101.25% on my resolution.

manzoor

Reaction score
1. Internet Explorer 7 lags very much (don't know about others but for me it does)
2. Internet Explorer 7 looks rubbish, ugly and ****.
3. Internet Explorer 7 is not safe like Firefox.
4. Internet Explorer 7 is not as fast as Firefox.
5. Firefox has a lot of good no great add-ons.

Thats all what I know.
Actually, I have both Internet Explorer 7 and Firefox installed on my PC but Firefox is my main browser and I sometimes use Internet Explorer 7 because to download anything with my FlashGet Download Manager. The version I have of FlashGet is not compatible with Firefox. Don't know about newer ones.

GamingX

Executive Team
Reaction score
I haven't seen any hardcore IE user. The ones that I have seen are ignorant of Firefox. i.e to say most of the oldies are IE users. But for some things, I have to use IE. :(

Thewinator

Reaction score
Same here, for web design you have to get it right in IE as well.
Wich is only making IE a bigger pain in the ass for me!

xbox1513

Reaction score
The main reason i switched to firefox is because of the plugins, mainly ad blocker plus.

xflarex

Reaction score
@thewinator, the funny thing about having to make your web pages compatible with ie is that firefox actually has tools that can help solve the problems for internet explorer

btw this thread has been up for days and i have only seen one real attempt to defend internet explorer

Sharky

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
I don't know how secure it is, but in Vista, IE7 has the Protected Mode, and also asks when anything tries to open a document in an external app (unlike IE7 on XP), for example, Acrobat... Also, while it looks out of place in XP, it actually fits nicely in Vista, whereas Firefox (with the default skin) looks nasty.

IE7 starts faster, and I have yet to notice any dodgy stuff installing itself. But then again, I don't blindly visit random sites, and don't run the sorts of attachments like "Hot_Women.ppt.exe". In fact, I think my antivirus quarantines files with double extensions except things like .tar.gz .

Oh, also, in Vista 64, there are two version of IE. The 32-bit and 64-bit versions. Default is 32-bit so plugins work correctly. That's why I use the 64-bit one :) No flash for starters. It's not really hard to open a copy of 32-bit IE for youtube links.

helladamnleet

Reaction score
IE version in 1998 = IE5 (it's on the Windows98 disk)
IE version in 2007 = IE7

Avrg upgrade rate = once every 5 years

Now let's look at Firefox

Version in 2005 Firefox1
Version 3 days ago: Minefield 3.1.x
Version today: Minefield 3.2.xA

Average upgrade rate A LOT MORE

Livewire

Abuse Compliance Officer
Staff member
Reaction score
Version in 2005 Firefox1
Version 3 days ago: Minefield 3.1.x
Version today: Minefield 3.2.xA

Quick update for anyone who reads that:

http://www.mozilla.org/projects/minefield/

Minefield = Firefox 3 beta.

The firefox version for standard FF users as of this posting is 2.0.0.8. Still a crapload of progress for 2 years :)

Edit: Just now noticed the original quote was missing a bracket -_-'

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.