First site ever

dotaloc

Reaction score
far better than my first, and probably current, site

good job with the site. i agree that the color scheme is nice and the contents seem simple, but effective.

as far as the centering, my guess is that your site was designed for a resolution of 1024x768. When I view it on my computer (resolution 1280x1024, firefox 2.0.0.12), the brown area on the left hand side of the screen is noticibly smaller than the brown area on the right hand side of the screen. the problem is pretty easily resolved using divs, setting a centered (relative position, with s static width, i think) div inside an absolute position div (with your background image).

that is probably not the best description of what you can do to fix it, but i'm sure doing a google search for any related words will show loads of useful results.

the only other potential problem i saw with your page was that when i mouseover your links, a 'bold'(?) version of the same text appears over the original text, without replacing the original text. not sure if this is browser specific. i've never had any problems with links being a different color on mouseover, but when different style of the font is used i've seen problems myself.

good job with the page.

oh, maybe some padding for the date associated text boxes in the right column. the text starts right on the edge of the border.

dotaloc

marzon

Reaction score
Once I validate my site, I'll work on centering it for those with larger resolutions because I guess that's one thing I didn't think about. Thanks for the help!

Zdroyd

Reaction score
The fact that all the text is over to one side is anoying. Try aligning left or at least aligning center.

TechAsh

Retired
Reaction score
Very good for a first site (Much better than my first one).
Few tips:
  • Move then content to the centre (On a wide-screen display everything is slightly over to the left).
  • I find the header image to large. Maybe make it less tall. (This is just my opinion)

Apart form the thing I've mentioned, which should be easy to fix, I think you've done a great job.