fix for hidden folders done by virus

lanxce

Reaction score
Some annoying virus i got the other day hid all my folders and left applications with folder icons.. well i deleted the applications that had the same names as my folders(clever virus) but now my folders were so hidden even view hidden folders would not show them, read a bit on that and landed on this command to run in Command Prompt.
1. click start>Run.
2.type cmd and hit enter
3. enter the drive letter of your flash plus a full colon e.g E:
4. enter this command:
attrib -s -h -r /S /D
5. it may take some time but all your folders will reappear.

scottnj

Reaction score
Thanks for the info, I will keep that in mind in case my computer ever gets the bug. I don't think I have ever picked up a virus on this thing, maybe some tracking cookies or some adware, but that's it.

brayden13

Reaction score
probably XP, Vista somehow made command lines even more frustrating and weird.

lanxce

Reaction score
not to worry though...the command works well under vista too.. done it myself.

Zangetsu

Reaction score
i just wanna say be careful with cmd lines or shortcuts who have those kinds of commands in them once i had a shortcut that suddenly turned off my pc imagine that being included into the windows startup script (svchost.exe) that would be pretty nice if you want to annoy the heck out of some one at school but im NOT going to recommend you do that cuz if your teacher don't under stand a thing about computers, well ill keep the rest up to your imagination

agroup

Reaction score
You can also view the hidden virus files through WinRaR

cafenet

Reaction score
thankz 4 t tips
now i can change my folder hidden virus
:lockd::lockd::lockd::lockd:

lanxce

Reaction score
thanks agroup, will keep winrar in mind when i find an infected pc that has cmd disabled..really hate viruses that do that.